IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a great surprise in the mail today, my Edel putter. I purposely waited before I posted, since I did not have the best experience to start with. First I wanted to @iacas for questioning my first attempt with a fitting. Fitter #1 did not come close to the experience and what Edel is all about. Now to fitter #2 ... wow it took over an hour and countless balls hit with different options before we found a combination that I was consistent with. After putting A LOT of balls on my green today I tell you I could not be happier. We tried different marks and strangely on single mark on top really help me to aim correctly fairly consistently and quickly. I was usually high and to the right, he added the mark and I was spot on ... different marks seem to confuse my eyes and I went back to the right. I got my email that it was being worked on July 14th ... and it was delivered today. I understand that the price point is not for everyone, but if you can, I recommend you treat yourself someday to an Edel putter. The experience and the product has exceed my expectations. I have the specs, but not being technical they do not make sense to me. (I will be happy to post them ... their in a different room and I am too lazy to get them.) Here are some pics ...I purpose Photoshoped my last name ... sorry ... you know internet, etc

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a great surprise in the mail today, my Edel putter. I purposely waited before I posted, since I did not have the best experience to start with. First I wanted to @iacas for questioning my first attempt with a fitting. Fitter #1 did not come close to the experience and what Edel is all about. Now to fitter #2 ... wow it took over an hour and countless balls hit with different options before we found a combination that I was consistent with. After putting A LOT of balls on my green today I tell you I could not be happier. We tried different marks and strangely on single mark on top really help me to aim correctly fairly consistently and quickly. I was usually high and to the right, he added the mark and I was spot on ... different marks seem to confuse my eyes and I went back to the right. I got my email that it was being worked on July 14th ... and it was delivered today. I understand that the price point is not for everyone, but if you can, I recommend you treat yourself someday to an Edel putter. The experience and the product has exceed my expectations. I have the specs, but not being technical they do not make sense to me. (I will be happy to post them ... their in a different room and I am too lazy to get them.) Here are some pics ...I purpose Photoshoped my last name ... sorry ... you know internet, etc

That is very cool looking. I'm close but I'm a little scared of using something not back-weighted like the Two-Ball I've had 7 or 8 yrs. Gotta just bite the bullet I guess. Good luck, hope it saves you 3 strokes a round!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

That is very cool looking. I'm close but I'm a little scared of using something not back-weighted like the Two-Ball I've had 7 or 8 yrs. Gotta just bite the bullet I guess. Good luck, hope it saves you 3 strokes a round!

If back weighted is what works for you, that's what you'll fit into. If it's not, you only stand to gain.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

Funny, that's why I'm leery of going the custom fitting route.   I've had so many putters, and have developed opinions on the type that I do and more importantly don't like (some just for aesthetics).     I'm afraid that a fitting will empirically prove that I should be playing a putter style I don't like - although I bet I'd learn to like it right quick if I make more putts with it  ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I thought I would share my experience as well.  I got fitted in Birmingham, MI at the beginning of July and my putter just arrived 2 days ago.  The fitter had the new torque balanced fitting cart.  The fitting only took about 30 to 35 minutes.  My guess is because there were less combinations to try.  It did take a few tries to get me aiming at the cup with the laser and did reset every time.  The distance control part was the quickest I would say.  He added a bunch of weight in the handle and that felt much better to me as I was more accurate with my distances.  So even though the fitting was a bit on the shorter side I still felt really comfortable with the putter and the adjustments that were made.  Here are a few pics.

Mike

In the bag:
Ping G30 Driver
x hot 3 wood
x hot 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Callaway XR irons
Cleveland RTX 54 and 58 wedges
Edel E-3 Torque balanced putter

Nice. Congrats!

Putt well. The torque balance fitting took less time than Edel's traditional putters. Less options. Once I was aiming correctly, it was lagging putts, and then adjusting weight, fitting length, lie, grip, SAM Lab to check it out.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

If back weighted is what works for you, that's what you'll fit into. If it's not, you only stand to gain.

Makes sense. [quote name="inthehole" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/200_40#post_1177038"] Funny, that's why I'm leery of going the custom fitting route.   I've had so many putters, and have developed opinions on the type that I do and more importantly don't like (some just for aesthetics).     I'm afraid that a fitting will empirically prove that I should be playing a putter style I don't like - although I bet I'd learn to like it right quick if I make more putts with it  ... [/quote]My thoughts as well.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Makes sense.

My thoughts as well.

I put all those thoughts away, having owned too many putters over the years, and surrendered to the fitting.

It's great to fall in love with a putter, but if you have preconceived notions of what is right for you, and may not have worked, then maybe one ought to go with what hasn't worked... and forget the fitting.

It doesn't make sense, but some are stubborn and ego-driven. We're human.

But if you have a consistent stroke with great fundamentals, work hard at reading the green, and putts are still not dropping, then maybe it's the putter. So if what you're doing is not working as well as you want, change it up.

"I like big putts and I do not lie."

Love that line.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Had the fitting done yesterday with Matt Mora from Urban Golf in LA.  Myself and my buddy Andrew (aka "The Soss") scheduled back to back with him.

First, the studio.  It's a hip place, very small facility (converted house, maybe 1100 square feet) right on Sepulveda in LA (just south of Olympic).  There's a small parking lot adjacent to the property, with only 3 spots available.  One of their guys happily took my keys and played valet (my car moved twice during my two hours there).  The staff were extremely present, positive and outgoing.  Urban Golf is a very interesting concept.  A full service golf training facility, including equipment custom equipment fitting, personal instruction, even bio-mechanical training (one of their guys is a Titleist Performance Institute certified personal trainer, they were working with a client on foot and hip rotation when we arrived).

The $165 fitting fee is not an Edel specific charge.  That's their hourly rate for private fitting, and given the context of the studio, makes sense (as much I didn't want to pay that).  They would fit me for a driver, or irons, or anything else that I desired..$165 is the hourly rate.

The putter fitting section was in the back of the facility, a relatively small turf area (indoors), about 20' x 15'.  It shares space with a hitting bay with a fancy HD video display showing the 7th hole at Pebble, complete with waves crashing up on to the rocks.  They played good music (modern stuff), with surround sound speakers throughout the room.  Racked on the wall next to the putting green they have some demo samples of OEM putters - Gauge Designs, Piretti, Miura, Scotty Cameron, Ping, etc.  It was neat to be able to swing these putters and knock around some putts, since usually I'd only see or hear of them through chat rooms or on ebay.

Matt Mora is the certified fitter. I found him to be smart, helpful and certainly knowledgeable.  We talked a bit about his background, and I felt very comfortable that he knew and understood his craft, and that he really enjoyed the art, and the science of it all.

As far as the fitting, it went much as advertised previously on this thread.  Matt set up a 4 foot putt, with the laser in place of the hole.  My current gamer (Ping Anser Milled) was consistently aimed high and right on the green screen back drop. Matt took me through several iterations, and gradually (over about 30 minutes) found an optimal setup.  After reading through this thread previously, I was very conscious to keep my mind open -- traditionally, I've always gravitated to the "anser" style putter, but I didn't want to let my own aesthetic bias interfere with the results.

As it turned out, the model that best fit me was actually my favorite visually too, which only helped me appreciate the whole experience that much more (don't actually recall the model name, it's the anser style putter with the concave flange (angled inward).  Matt also tried different markings and sight lines, finally settling on a single sight line on the top of the blade (not the back flange).

Matt explained the difference between a "linear" and a "radial" stroke, and gave some details about how each type of stroke may benefit from a particular type of setup.  My stroke is apparently a linear stroke (defined by Matt as using the same backswing distance, regardless of the length of putt).  I'll defer to his expertise on that, but when we finally settled on a model and setup, I felt very comfortable addressing the ball.

With the correct setup, I could definitely feel the difference in my aim, especially from the 4 foot section.  We extended to 6 feet and the results were similarly consistent.  Then I hit putts to the string, which was set about 15 feet from the starting point.  Matt played with counterweights and head weights, and the differences in my stroke quality were immediate.  Of note, the putting area is relatively small (as stated earlier, only about 20' long), and the fake green rolled pretty fast, which actually made it hard to take a full stroke and keep the ball in line with the string (as opposed to blasting it to the back rail of the mat).  If I had a complaint, I would have preferred a larger area, so I could line up and putt some longer putts.  Outside would be optimal, but overall I still feel comfortable that my objective was accomplished.

Ultimately Matt and I agreed on the optimal setup (more weight in the hands, slightly less in the head), and while I was waiting for him to set up for my buddy's fitting, I proceeded to bang 5 straight 6 footers into one of the holes on the practice mat.  As some of the earlier posters noted, the feel on the test putter was less than ideal, I look forward to finally rolling my putter when it does arrive.

When it came time to order the putter, I confess I really didn't have a plan in mind for stamping, colors, etc.  I knew I wanted the Pixl insert, but on some of the other details, I really found myself struggling to make a firm decision.  I would definitely recommend folks look over the Edel site, and that they get really familiar and comfortable with what stamping/color combos they want before they actually do the fitting.  This is one area of the process where I thought the facility was lacking.  The "menu" was just an ipad with a link to Edel's website gallery.  There was no way to look at each putter model, and to really see how the "satin" looked versus the "black oxide" model.  So a lot of that was simply instinct, and hopefully works out.

All in all, I had a very good experience - and I came away from UGP impressed with their approach, and concept.  The fitting ended up costing me the full $165 (after the hour, I was fine paying Matt - felt he did a very thorough job, and I have a soft spot for a guy trying to make a living selling service).  Matt did knock 10% off the order price on the putter.  The total tally for the putter was $445, less 10%, plus tax, it worked out to about $450.  So I ended up paying about $600 for the whole venture.  Pricey, absolutely.

Interestingly, after the fitting (and while Andrew was ordering his putter), I was hitting putts with my Anser, and after having seen my visual bias, i was actually able to aim my current putter a bit better.  Hopefully it will help me this weekend on my scheduled 3 day golf bender in Pismo.  I will be looking forward to seeing that Edel box when it arrives at the office.

Sorry if this is too long for you guys, but I'm sure there are several of you out there like me, who really would like to understand what to expect before committing the resources to this.

• Upvote 2

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

what he said

Thanks for the write up, Carrx. Saved me an hour of my life.

Now, hopefully I can win enough from you in Pismo this weekend to pay for this bad boy ....

Not...likely.

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Had the fitting done yesterday with Matt Mora from Urban Golf in LA.  Myself and my buddy Andrew (aka "The Soss") scheduled back to back with him.

First, the studio.  It's a hip place, very small facility (converted house, maybe 1100 square feet) right on Sepulveda in LA (just south of Olympic).  There's a small parking lot adjacent to the property, with only 3 spots available.  One of their guys happily took my keys and played valet (my car moved twice during my two hours there).  The staff were extremely present, positive and outgoing.  Urban Golf is a very interesting concept.  A full service golf training facility, including equipment custom equipment fitting, personal instruction, even bio-mechanical training (one of their guys is a Titleist Performance Institute certified personal trainer, they were working with a client on foot and hip rotation when we arrived).

The $165 fitting fee is not an Edel specific charge.  That's their hourly rate for private fitting, and given the context of the studio, makes sense (as much I didn't want to pay that).  They would fit me for a driver, or irons, or anything else that I desired..$165 is the hourly rate.

The putter fitting section was in the back of the facility, a relatively small turf area (indoors), about 20' x 15'.  It shares space with a hitting bay with a fancy HD video display showing the 7th hole at Pebble, complete with waves crashing up on to the rocks.  They played good music (modern stuff), with surround sound speakers throughout the room.  Racked on the wall next to the putting green they have some demo samples of OEM putters - Gauge Designs, Piretti, Miura, Scotty Cameron, Ping, etc.  It was neat to be able to swing these putters and knock around some putts, since usually I'd only see or hear of them through chat rooms or on ebay.

Matt Mora is the certified fitter. I found him to be smart, helpful and certainly knowledgeable.  We talked a bit about his background, and I felt very comfortable that he knew and understood his craft, and that he really enjoyed the art, and the science of it all.

As far as the fitting, it went much as advertised previously on this thread.  Matt set up a 4 foot putt, with the laser in place of the hole.  My current gamer (Ping Anser Milled) was consistently aimed high and right on the green screen back drop. Matt took me through several iterations, and gradually (over about 30 minutes) found an optimal setup.  After reading through this thread previously, I was very conscious to keep my mind open -- traditionally, I've always gravitated to the "anser" style putter, but I didn't want to let my own aesthetic bias interfere with the results.

As it turned out, the model that best fit me was actually my favorite visually too, which only helped me appreciate the whole experience that much more (don't actually recall the model name, it's the anser style putter with the concave flange (angled inward).  Matt also tried different markings and sight lines, finally settling on a single sight line on the top of the blade (not the back flange).

Matt explained the difference between a "linear" and a "radial" stroke, and gave some details about how each type of stroke may benefit from a particular type of setup.  My stroke is apparently a linear stroke (defined by Matt as using the same backswing distance, regardless of the length of putt).  I'll defer to his expertise on that, but when we finally settled on a model and setup, I felt very comfortable addressing the ball.

With the correct setup, I could definitely feel the difference in my aim, especially from the 4 foot section.  We extended to 6 feet and the results were similarly consistent.  Then I hit putts to the string, which was set about 15 feet from the starting point.  Matt played with counterweights and head weights, and the differences in my stroke quality were immediate.  Of note, the putting area is relatively small (as stated earlier, only about 20' long), and the fake green rolled pretty fast, which actually made it hard to take a full stroke and keep the ball in line with the string (as opposed to blasting it to the back rail of the mat).  If I had a complaint, I would have preferred a larger area, so I could line up and putt some longer putts.  Outside would be optimal, but overall I still feel comfortable that my objective was accomplished.

Ultimately Matt and I agreed on the optimal setup (more weight in the hands, slightly less in the head), and while I was waiting for him to set up for my buddy's fitting, I proceeded to bang 5 straight 6 footers into one of the holes on the practice mat.  As some of the earlier posters noted, the feel on the test putter was less than ideal, I look forward to finally rolling my putter when it does arrive.

When it came time to order the putter, I confess I really didn't have a plan in mind for stamping, colors, etc.  I knew I wanted the Pixl insert, but on some of the other details, I really found myself struggling to make a firm decision.  I would definitely recommend folks look over the Edel site, and that they get really familiar and comfortable with what stamping/color combos they want before they actually do the fitting.  This is one area of the process where I thought the facility was lacking.  The "menu" was just an ipad with a link to Edel's website gallery.  There was no way to look at each putter model, and to really see how the "satin" looked versus the "black oxide" model.  So a lot of that was simply instinct, and hopefully works out.

All in all, I had a very good experience - and I came away from UGP impressed with their approach, and concept.  The fitting ended up costing me the full $165 (after the hour, I was fine paying Matt - felt he did a very thorough job, and I have a soft spot for a guy trying to make a living selling service).  Matt did knock 10% off the order price on the putter.  The total tally for the putter was $445, less 10%, plus tax, it worked out to about $450.  So I ended up paying about $600 for the whole venture.  Pricey, absolutely.

Interestingly, after the fitting (and while Andrew was ordering his putter), I was hitting putts with my Anser, and after having seen my visual bias, i was actually able to aim my current putter a bit better.  Hopefully it will help me this weekend on my scheduled 3 day golf bender in Pismo.  I will be looking forward to seeing that Edel box when it arrives at the office.

Sorry if this is too long for you guys, but I'm sure there are several of you out there like me, who really would like to understand what to expect before committing the resources to this.

Great write up.  Your fitting sounded almost exactly like mine.  And I think based on your description, we actually have the same putterhead. Here's a few pics of mine. I don't have any sight lines on mine though.

Glad it all worked out for you. :beer:

what he said

Thanks for the write up, Carrx. Saved me an hour of my life.

Now, hopefully I can win enough from you in Pismo this weekend to pay for this bad boy ....

You can skip the whole review ... but what model/specs did you end up with?

I believe that is the Rogue Head

Nice write-up.

Great write up.  Your fitting sounded almost exactly like mine.  And I think based on your description, we actually have the same putterhead.  Here's a few pics of mine.  I don't have any sight lines on mine though.

Glad it all worked out for you.

You can skip the whole review ... but what model/specs did you end up with?

Yup, that's the one.  Different hosel, but same putterhead.  I will post pics when she arrives.

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Yup, that's the one.  Different hosel, but same putterhead.  I will post pics when she arrives.

Yeah, my hosel is ridiculous.  It's got so much freakin' offset that the putter cover doesn't even fit right.

But, hey, it works. :)

I believe that is the Rogue Head

Thanks ... I will try and remember that.  (Probably unsuccessfully) ;)

Yeah, my hosel is ridiculous.  It's got so much freakin' offset that the putter cover doesn't even fit right.

But, hey, it works. :)

Thanks ... I will try and remember that.  (Probably unsuccessfully) ;)

"My hosel is ridiculous" sounds like it should be on a T-shirt.

How do you like the Pixl insert?

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Interestingly, after the fitting (and while Andrew was ordering his putter), I was hitting putts with my Anser, and after having seen my visual bias, i was actually able to aim my current putter a bit better.

I had the same experience ... but after putting with my Edel I can tell you I like the Edel a lot more and hit it better. Here are my specs for those understand them: Head Type: Umpqua Head Weight: 325 grams Loft: 2 Insert: Pixel Hosel Type: L1 Lie Angle: 68 Shaft Length: 33inches Opti-Vibe: 30 grams Placement: 8 inches Opti Vibe 2: 30 grams Placement 4 inches Finish: Satin

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• Administrator

Matt explained the difference between a "linear" and a "radial" stroke, and gave some details about how each type of stroke may benefit from a particular type of setup.  My stroke is apparently a linear stroke (defined by Matt as using the same backswing distance, regardless of the length of putt)

I'm not the biggest fan of the "linear" and "radial" definitions. You'll want to work toward modifying the "hitting" nature of your stroke right now - the same backswing distance is not ideal at all. More info here: .

I don't think linear putters tend to do very well. Edel will cite Nicklaus as a Linear putter, but… he had plenty of "radial" in him. Every good putter does.

I do tend to classify people as more pendulum or driving, which is similar, but basically people who "drive" the putter tend to favor weight in the grip or high up in the shaft.

Distance control is distance control, and 15' is a good distance because it's long enough to test your distance control but not so long as to have difficulty stopping the ball within six inches or so consistently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!