IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Not to paint with too broad a brush, but one of the themes running through this thread is the lack of consistent customer service with Edel.

To be fair, though, that's not "Edel customer service." They're independent fitters, so the problem is with the specific golf professionals, not Edel specifically.

I always call people back or return emails, but I do that whether it's about Edel or anything else.

It's hard to get some of the fitters to call you back, a putter shipped from the factory with incorrect customization (due to the factory not returning a phone call promptly), a website that is not up to date, and fitters who do not follow the factory fitting protocol.

There really is no "factory fitting protocol" FWIW. I've shared (in this thread) my process. Others may do it differently, and I suspect almost all do.

And to play devil's advocate, the factory's job is not to call people back or worry about that stuff. Their customers are the fitters. The person who changed his mind after the order was placed goofed, the fitter he used goofed by not adjusting the order when he could have, and Edel goofed a little, but they're third in that line of blame and deserve only a little IMO. As a fitter, that would be MY job. The fitter could have added a note, saved but not submitted the order until the client called back with the final customization, etc. We also tell people to consider their customization options before they come in so they have a week or two to think about them.

The website not up to date, well, sure, I suppose you've got them there. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did my fitting this past Saturday with Scott Warman at his studio near Atlanta, GA. Process took about 45 - 50 minutes.

I am coming from an old generation, face balanced Odyssey 2 ball putter, and I am very right eye dominant so I tended to aim to the right a couple inches, I was only a couple inches "high". Looked at the different heads and went with the smaller mallet style. Side note: the round putting grip felt amazing. Once we got the loft and lie angle done, we went to the alignment lines. I ended up getting two line on the top, front of the putter, it helped me visually to get the feeling of putting my ball in between these two lines.

I can already tell I will need to end up practicing a lot, I have to get used to the way putter "looks" closed, but really it was dead online.

Went to the little putting green and worked on some 8 footers, it took a while to get adjusted to the lie angle, and then we added some weight to the club head. After that ended up doing some 20 footers to a hole. Ended up putting almost the max amount of weight in the handle. Once that was done and i was consistently getting pace right, we went back to the 8 footers. Took out some weight, and ended up sinking 8 in a row... after that I was sold.

Ended up with the putter, customization + the pixl insert for $445ish. I am excited, and hopeful that it doesn't take too many rounds to adjust to the new aiming (hard to get over the fact the club face looks closed, but really its on line).

I'll post pics in this thread when it arrives!

To follow up with my post:

Here were my specs -

340g head weight

72 lie angle

2 degree loft

L2 hosel (1/8" offset)

2 lines on top

35" length

50 grams 5 inches in the handle, then another 30 grams 3 inches down.

Not to paint with too broad a brush, but one of the themes running through this thread is the lack of consistent customer service with Edel.  It's hard to get some of the fitters to call you back, a putter shipped from the factory with incorrect customization (due to the factory not returning a phone call promptly), a website that is not up to date, and fitters who do not follow the factory fitting protocol.  For the prices they are charging, all of these details should be nearly perfect.  I run a small business, and there is no higher priority than customer service.  I realize that there are outliers, and humans make mistakes, but some of this is unacceptable.  I am still considering getting fit for an Edel, but my enthusiasm has definitely waned.

I agree completely. I am very, very satisfied with the product (28 putts yesterday and an average of "Average Pro" playing the putting games from Every Stroke Counts my first time out with the putter) but for the price, you would expect the customer service to also be at an exceptional level. Thankfully, I did not have the fitter issue of others but I agree, they have some work to do on getting the rest of the company up to the level of the product/price.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

The person who changed his mind after the order was placed goofed, the fitter he used goofed by not adjusting the order when he could have, and Edel goofed a little, but they're third in that line of blame and deserve only a little IMO.

Since this was me I will comment. Rob at Edel as much as admitted it was their fault and that there was an internal communication error. I admit I should have known what I wanted, but they pitch all of these customization options but then some can't be done on certain shapes. Example, what I wanted could not be done on the sole of the mallet as he said it would collapse the sole due to things being hand stamped. A customer can't know that going into the store.

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

Can someone tell me a little more about options for the torque balanced putters? I'm going for a fitting Tuesday morning, this place might not even have the capabilities for them, but I was just wondering.

Colin P.

Can someone tell me a little more about options for the torque balanced putters? I'm going for a fitting Tuesday morning, this place might not even have the capabilities for them, but I was just wondering.

An incomplete list, and based on my fitting.

Loft is 2 deg.

Choice of:

Heads

Pixl (standard unless you do not want it ,,, but make certain you tell them "pixl")

Weight (6, 12, 21g) Option is to purchase the weight kit  so you can adjust)

Lie

Length

Grip

SIghtlines

Position of Shaft on head (I think it has to do with the bend of the shaft -- did not know this one until I saw a spec sheet)

Art Work (I just have my initials on bottom of sole)

Color Combos on the wings, Edel, etc.

You get the black carbon look headcover with wings (nice cover)

Edel Shaft Band (nice)

They sent an Edel Hat (don't know if that is standard)

I was fitted for my aim to an E-1. Did not need sightlines, just a white dot over the sweetspot, which is fairly nonintrusive.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I guess my question is, someone who opts for a torque balanced model, is there less adjustability than their standard putter?

Colin P.

An incomplete list, and based on my fitting.

Loft is 2 deg.

Choice of:

Heads

Pixl (standard unless you do not want it ,,, but make certain you tell them "pixl")

Weight (6, 12, 21g) Option is to purchase the weight kit  so you can adjust)

Lie

Length

Grip

SIghtlines

Position of Shaft on head (I think it has to do with the bend of the shaft -- did not know this one until I saw a spec sheet)

Art Work (I just have my initials on bottom of sole)

Color Combos on the wings, Edel, etc.

You get the black carbon look headcover with wings (nice cover)

Edel Shaft Band (nice)

They sent an Edel Hat (don't know if that is standard)

I was fitted for my aim to an E-1. Did not need sightlines, just a white dot over the sweetspot, which is fairly nonintrusive.

To add, I forgot about the Opti-Vibe Counterbalance weight in the grip of the putter. You can insert it so it is a couple of inches down the grip.

The shaft I have is Toe Up - Backset. (perhaps this is the only option)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I guess my question is, someone who opts for a torque balanced model, is there less adjustability than their standard putter?

You may be limited on headweight, offset, and hosel options (no hosel).

Of course, head weight is adjustable given the weight kit.

But the idea of torque balance and its function limits one, I believe, to the shaft coming out of the head. But if you aim it where you are aiming, it's good. I believe the idea is to assist in less twisting and easier to remain on plane... someone with more tech knowledge can correct/clarify.

I am finding the E-1 mallet easier to aim (for me) and have noticed more consistency in terms of putting 3 balls and them being within a foot of each other on 30 foot putts.

(FWIW, I had an Edel Rogue Vari-Loft with 3 faces and weights galore in terms of adjustment - but the head was a misfit by a guy who is no longer an Edel dealer). C'est la vie.

Try torque balanced and standard models, and see what happens.

Thanks Des, that's a lot of info. It may be that this fitter doesn't even have the torque option so that might limit me anyways. It struck me as a less custom option by virtue of the fact that you can order it direct from them without a fitting.

Colin P.

Thanks Des, that's a lot of info. It may be that this fitter doesn't even have the torque option so that might limit me anyways.

It struck me as a less custom option by virtue of the fact that you can order it direct from them without a fitting.

Yes, and they sell the Torque Balanced at PGATSS at $299 w/ pixl insert. Supposedly, those guys are somewhat trained to help with aiming. Who knows?

I think the reason they do retail is because the hosel/shaft options are limited due to the function of the torque balanced putter.

Still, one needs a fit for aim.

Lots of custom options in the torque balanced, In sum - fitting for head, sightlines, weight, pixl/no pixl, counterbalancing, length, lie, paint job, initials, grip (and sizing), and a hat (included on my last set of irons and putter).,

I think the standard putter with aim and weight fit for me is my best option.I feel those things are the most important things I need

Colin P.

• Administrator

I think the standard putter with aim and weight fit for me is my best option.I feel those things are the most important things I need

I think the E-Series (the Torque balanced ones) are three heads and three hosel combinations.

They say with lines, you can fit 90% of people or more as well as you could with the full system, which is still available in many locations (we have the full kit).

But yeah, if you absolutely want the best putter to fit you for aim and weight/speed, the full one is the way to go. If you fit into the E-series and buy the concept of no torque being great for you, then the E series is a bit cheaper and you might very well fit into it very nicely.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the E-Series (the Torque balanced ones) are three heads and three hosel combinations. They say with lines, you can fit 90% of people or more as well as you could with the full system, which is still available in many locations (we have the full kit). But yeah, if you absolutely want the best putter to fit you for aim and weight/speed, the full one is the way to go. If you fit into the E-series and buy the concept of no torque being great for you, then the E series is a bit cheaper and you might very well fit into it very nicely.

With lines? You mean sight lines on the top?

Colin P.

• Administrator

With lines? You mean sight lines on the top?

Or on the "bottom" (the back, not the topline/leading edge).

But yes, sightlines/dots.

So… After having left the house at 8 AM this morning and now getting home at 4:30 in the afternoon, and having going to two different establishments, I have finally ordered my putter. Closest place to me from the Edel site was a little over two hours away. Road trip.... The first place is a country club called Waccabuc CC, nice place, certainly not Bushwood. They asked me to tuck in my shirt lol....anyways, When I got there I found out that they only have the torque balanced cart. They do not have the full system cart. The assistant pro there named Andy spent about an hour end a half getting me fitted. We started with the distance, which I wasn't all that happy with, and then we finished with the aiming. With the very limited options that he had, he was unable to get me aiming at the cup. Everything he set me up for was still aiming out to the right. At the end, he told me he was not going to sell me a putter that I couldn't aim. He was extremely kind, so nice that he didn't charge me anything for his time. I left dejected. Five minutes after leaving, Andy called me and told me that there was a place 15 minutes away that had the full system. He had called them already and asked if they would be able to get me in. They could! Major props to Andy. The second place is called The Golf Performance Center in Ridgefield Connecticut. I worked with the director of instruction there named Dennis. He was very very good. Spent a lot of time with me, And the difference between the full cart set up and the torque balance cart is amazing. Soooo many more options. After going through this, I personally wouldn't recommend the torque balanced fitting just because of how limited your options are. Andy was able to get me aimed inside the cup very consistently. No more aiming out to the right. I don't have all the specs, I just know the head is called McKenzie and there's 2 sight lines on the top line and one in the bottom behind part. 2 degrees loft. Weights in the head and handle. Can't freaking wait.

Colin P.

Congrats!

on a long day.

Happy that you found your putter.

Although I would not put down the torque balanced putter.

As to aiming right, it happens with standard heads, too. Adding sight lines in a certain configuration, from my understanding, will help you aim towards the left if you aim right (without them).

Edel fitters have  fitted me twice with standard fittings, and once with the torque balanced, and the torque balanced works great for me.

I am now extremely confident in aiming without sightlines with the E-1 mallet -- hit the laser in the middle of the cup each time during the fitting.

Works well on the SAM. Using the putting stick (training aid), I send the ball straight down the line.

I suggest one keep an open mind - custom fitting is about finding what fits you and one does not want to shut the door to another option.

We are all different -- that's why it is custom fit.

Congrats.

Des, you are correct. Maybe I could've worded my recommendation differently.... For me, the limitation in the torque cart was the lack of hosels. The only options he had were curved neck style hosels. Nothing plumber style, which was apparently what I needed. On top of that, nothing he showed me was aesthetically pleasing, because of the hosels. Forgot to mention I got the pixel insert.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!