IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Edit Oh, price. I think he said $170. I'll update with that information when I see.

That seems insane! I imagine the waives the fee if you buy the putter, but what if you end up not buying one?! $170 just seems outrageous.

I read through this entire thread yesterday and I am fascinated. While I think putting is probably the strongest part of my game right now I'm starting to wonder if I'm compensating for poor aim because I'm a righty who is left eye dominant. I've always heard that's an advantage in putting but I'd like to know for sure. So, I think I'm going look into a fitting. One thing that worries me is that I read a few people saying they needed to practice with the new putter a lot upon receipt to counter-act poor aiming habits engrained from their previous putter. I've had mine about 8 years so I think my adjustment may be huge and I'm not sure how long it would take me to adapt. Secondly, I haven't seen much about grips here. Does the fitting include grip fitting? I've used a larger Winn grip for the past 3 or 4 years and I believe it's greatly improved my putting. I'm assuming I would be free to use the same grip on an Edel? Thanks for your help!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I think I'm going look into a fitting. One thing that worries me is that I read a few people saying they needed to practice with the new putter a lot upon receipt to counter-act poor aiming habits engrained from their previous putter. I've had mine about 8 years so I think my adjustment may be huge and I'm not sure how long it would take me to adapt.

Aiming should come around pretty quickly.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So now I have another thing I'm wondering about: how long to acclimate. Presumably I have problems with my putting stroke that I'm accounting for subconsciously, and this will cause a problem my first however-many putts with the Edel before my brain realizes the ball won't always start, say, left however much of where I think I'm aiming. If I order my putter at my fitting and it takes a week to arrive, it will get there about four days before my next tournament round, a match play match. A week after that is the club championship. If it were a driver, I might feel comfortable after a range session with a few extra shots, especially if it wasn't a big change from my previous driver. I suspect this is going to be a big difference compared to my previous putter. Will I get used to it with an hour or two on the putting green? How much practice with it should I have before I use it in a practice round? A tournament round?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I read through this entire thread yesterday and I am fascinated. While I think putting is probably the strongest part of my game right now I'm starting to wonder if I'm compensating for poor aim because I'm a righty who is left eye dominant. I've always heard that's an advantage in putting but I'd like to know for sure.

So, I think I'm going look into a fitting. One thing that worries me is that I read a few people saying they needed to practice with the new putter a lot upon receipt to counter-act poor aiming habits engrained from their previous putter. I've had mine about 8 years so I think my adjustment may be huge and I'm not sure how long it would take me to adapt.

Secondly, I haven't seen much about grips here. Does the fitting include grip fitting? I've used a larger Winn grip for the past 3 or 4 years and I believe it's greatly improved my putting. I'm assuming I would be free to use the same grip on an Edel?

Thanks for your help!

This is what I did before the fitting.

I found a neutral stance and setup (with everything squared up, the shaft perpendicular to the ground, for as little compensations as possible), using the big muscles, etc. and then putted with that setup so I was consistent from stroke to stroke at the time of the fitting.

I am also a righty who is left eye dominant - I did not close eyes when aiming for the fitting.

I putted with various putters but a SeeMore FGP for 3 years before the fitting. Didn't have a problem with the adjustment. When aiming, you need to have confidence with the shape -- see if the shape helps with your aim and gives you confidence -- the laser fitting will help with confidence.

You can use any grip you like and have the guy fit you for a grip, or bring the grip you want to use on the putter. He can see if Edel has the grip, can order it, or whether you need to ship that grip to Edel. I found the round Edel Grip with an extra wrap to fit well, and I need not worry whether the grip was correctly installed as to alignment.

Of course, make certain you are fit for counterbalancing - I think Edel uses a Tour-Lock CB weight when needed and it can be inserted in the top of the grip, inches below the grip, etc.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is what I did before the fitting. I found a neutral stance and setup (with everything squared up, the shaft perpendicular to the ground, for as little compensations as possible), using the big muscles, etc. and then putted with that setup so I was consistent from stroke to stroke at the time of the fitting. I am also a righty who is left eye dominant - I did not close eyes when aiming for the fitting. I putted with various putters but a SeeMore FGP for 3 years before the fitting. Didn't have a problem with the adjustment. When aiming, you need to have confidence with the shape -- see if the shape helps with your aim and gives you confidence -- the laser fitting will help with confidence. You can use any grip you like and have the guy fit you for a grip, or bring the grip you want to use on the putter. He can see if Edel has the grip, can order it, or whether you need to ship that grip to Edel. I found the round Edel Grip with an extra wrap to fit well, and I need not worry whether the grip was correctly installed as to alignment. Of course, make certain you are fit for counterbalancing - I think Edel uses a Tour-Lock CB weight when needed and it can be inserted in the top of the grip, inches below the grip, etc.

Ok, wow, great, thanks. This alleviates a couple of my concerns. Now I have to overcome the $550 hurdle. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Ok, wow, great, thanks. This alleviates a couple of my concerns. Now I have to overcome the $550 hurdle.

You are in Dallas -- go to Euless, and Texas Star. At the back of the Texas Star range, there are two huge garage bays looking out the range. That is:

Go see Jon Sinclair at www.sinclairgolf.com

Don't know if it will do you any good, but tell him you know Jerry, and would like an appointment for  an Edel fitting, and would like all the detail that goes with it. Jon has a SAM, laser and other accoutrements of the fitting.

Jon will also give you help with setting up for a putt, etc.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
If I order my putter at my fitting and it takes a week to arrive, it will get there about four days before my next tournament round, a match play match. A week after that is the club championship.

Play that tournament with your current putter. You won't get it in a week. They tell us to say 3-4, typically it takes 2-3.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/180#post_1174082"] If I order my putter at my fitting and it takes a week to arrive, it will get there about four days before my next tournament round, a match play match. A week after that is the club championship.[/QUOTE] Play that tournament with your current putter. You won't get it in a week. They tell us to say 3-4, typically it takes 2-3.

Will do. When it arrives, I'll look at my upcoming schedule and may end up asking for advice at that point. Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm very excited about my putter fitting tomorrow evening. I'm like a kid waiting outside some kind of store. I realized that I've already forgotten to do something, but can fix it soon: I need to decide what sort of custom stamping etc I want. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it on their site. I'll probably go for something simple; maybe my initials or last name or something. But I should decide before it comes time to order! :-D

-- Michael | My swing! 

I'm very excited about my putter fitting tomorrow evening. I'm like a kid waiting outside some kind of store. I realized that I've already forgotten to do something, but can fix it soon: I need to decide what sort of custom stamping etc I want. Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it on their site. I'll probably go for something simple; maybe my initials or last name or something. But I should decide before it comes time to order! :-D

Hope you enjoy the fitting and get what you wanted ... I will post my complete experience when I finally get my putter, but my fitter walked me through all the options.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

LA Fitting Update - Some other posters have already referenced Urban Golf and Matt Mora.  He charges $165 for the hour fitting session.  I am scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  I am bringing another golfer with me, and we're scheduled back to back.  I attempted to negotiate a discount, he offered me $150 for the hour (each), or 10% off a purchase, if we elect to buy (I intend to).

I will try to get the $150 and the 10% discount, stay tuned.

Also, something else very interesting to consider:  he is a certified fitter for Edel, but he also fits for other OEM putter manufacturers (Piretti, Machine, Scotty Cameron, etc).  He offered to fit me using the Edel system, but will also include other OEM offerings in terms of his recommendations.  I find some value in that, just giving me a better option to get the putter I really want.

I will update this after the fitting tomorrow, and again when I ultimately receive the putter.  Stay tuned...

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

I have seen a few posts on here about Edel putters and fittings but they looked older and I didn't want to bump an old thread.

Anyway, I got fitted for an Edel putter yesterday and I am super excited about it! The process is much like the one described in the other threads. It was generally pretty cool to learn about the tech and process behind the fitting and all that good stuff.

The main reason I am posting is because there was one part of the fitting that differed from everything I have read and I want to get other Edel users opinions. When we first did the whole laser thing and determined that my putter was not lined up correctly the next step was to put together a putter that would fit me. But instead of the fitter just putting one together and handing it to me, he asked me to pick which head shape I liked the most and we went from there.

Neither here nor there really, it just felt like a little personal touch that I appreciated instead of having a certain shape forced on me. I still lined up dead straight in the end.

I am curious if anyone else had this experience? I'll be posting pictures of the putter when I get it... like I said VERY excited!

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

I have seen a few posts on here about Edel putters and fittings but they looked older and I didn't want to bump an old thread.

Bumping old threads is better than starting new ones. Searching for info is easier when it is all in one place. Good luck with your new putter.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I will update this after the fitting tomorrow, and again when I ultimately receive the putter.  Stay tuned...

I need to write my review -- I literally just got fit by Matt today. Happy with the result. Studio/shop is ultra cool too. Oh, and I finally ordered an Edel putter :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

LA Fitting Update - Some other posters have already referenced Urban Golf and Matt Mora.  He charges $165 for the hour fitting session.  I am scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  I am bringing another golfer with me, and we're scheduled back to back.  I attempted to negotiate a discount, he offered me $150 for the hour (each), or 10% off a purchase, if we elect to buy (I intend to).

I will try to get the $150 and the 10% discount, stay tuned.

Also, something else very interesting to consider:  he is a certified fitter for Edel, but he also fits for other OEM putter manufacturers (Piretti, Machine, Scotty Cameron, etc).  He offered to fit me using the Edel system, but will also include other OEM offerings in terms of his recommendations.  I find some value in that, just giving me a better option to get the putter I really want.

I am said guy going w Carrx today. Will post review once done. Super pumped.

Awesome!  Good luck to both of you and we can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!