IGNORED

Dustin Johnson taking a leave of absence from tour, Suspended for cocaine use

BENtSwing
Note: This thread is 3352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of course not but I think we as a public want to know the truth and when something is shrouded in secrecy or vague, people are going to take more of an interest in it.

I think it's funny that people think they are entitled to know the truth about why someone's job suspended them.

If I fail a drug test at my job it's none of your damn business.  I don't see why it's any different with DJ.

Do you contribute money to his salary?

Do you have any stake in this at all other than being his fan?

Someone may like me and think I'm the best paralegal in the world, but it doesn't entitle them to know details about why my job disciplines me.

I'm not saying this isn't interesting.  I obviously think it is, as I have contributed to the conversation as well, but I don't feel that I'm entitled to the details from the PGA.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

I think it's funny that people think they are entitled to know the truth about why someone's job suspended them. If I fail a drug test at my job it's none of your damn business.  I don't see why it's any different with DJ. Do you contribute money to his salary? Do you have any stake in this at all other than being his fan? Someone may like me and think I'm the best paralegal in the world, but it doesn't entitle them to know details about why my job disciplines me. I'm not saying this isn't interesting.  I obviously think it is, as I have contributed to the conversation as well, but I don't feel that I'm entitled to the details from the PGA.

Whether right or wrong, that's one of things that comes with being a celebrity, politician, athlete, or in the spotlight.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I contribute money to his salary. ;-) Not very much though. In this case I don't need to know anymore than I know. Hope he gets himself straightened out.

Argh, well I have enough Bridgestone golf balls anyway. Grrr. Why????? My votes will go to Bubba or Rory from now on.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Argh, well I have enough Bridgestone golf balls anyway. Grrr. Why????? My votes will go to Bubba or Rory from now on.

I've picked Michael Campbell in every contest since 2011, it's amazing he hasn't won one yet.

Riley

Someone may like me and think I'm the best paralegal in the world, but it doesn't entitle them to know details about why my job disciplines me.

The difference is that with the exception of the people who know you, nobody's going to give a damn. It's not even remotely the same concept when the subject is a well-known celebrity. A very high percentage of the population just can't get enough celebrity dirt, and that includes a lot of the folks who rail on message boards about how the whole media culture is sleazy.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of the details of this sordid ordeal are going to come out over time, whether they're offered up willingly or dug up by reporters. Both Mr. Johnson and the Tour would've been better served to have gotten farther ahead of this thing from the get-go.

John

I've picked Michael Campbell in every contest since 2011, it's amazing he hasn't won one yet.

Lol, you're trying to make me feel like less of a "didiot". Thanks for trying.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think it's funny that people think they are entitled to know the truth about why someone's job suspended them.

If I fail a drug test at my job it's none of your damn business.  I don't see why it's any different with DJ.

You don't?

Guess what... I'm not watching you do you "paralegal" work on TV.

Believe it or not, people like to know what's going on with  famous celebrities/athletes.

How many millions a year do you earn in endorsements?

It's called public interest or sticky beaking, take your pick, but don't add yourself into the equation.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You don't?

Guess what... I'm not watching you do you "paralegal" work on TV.

Believe it or not, people like to know what's going on with  famous celebrities/athletes.

How many millions a year do you earn in endorsements?

It's called public interest or sticky beaking, take your pick, but don't add yourself into the equation.

I'll take terrible arguments for $2000, Alex.

"Witty golf quote."

I read an article today where a tour caddie, when the news broke about DJ, said, 'Lemme guess...not another injury from lifting a jet ski...'

Point being, apparently it's pretty well known in tour about DJ & his proclivities, and the 2012 incident where he was away from the tour for 11 weeks due to, ahem, injuring himself by lifting a jet ski, many knew what the real reason was. The point of the article was that many are saddened & concerned for his welfare...but nobody is surprised.

I'll take terrible arguments for $2000, Alex.

OK then. Here's one along the lines that you appear to be supporting. And I'll give it to you for free.

Tiger Woods was the best golfer in the world. He earnt millions every year.

Why isn't the best tree lopper or street sweeper getting paid millions? After all, they're the best in their field.

If Dustin Johnson is just a guy "doing a job", why aren't the pages full of paralegal scandals? Because they don't sell.

Demand and supply is the name of the game.

Or---if it bleeds, it leads.

OK then. Here's one along the lines that you appear to be supporting. And I'll give it to you for free.

Tiger Woods was the best golfer in the world. He earnt millions every year.

Why isn't the best tree lopper or street sweeper getting paid millions? After all, they're the best in their field.

If Dustin Johnson is just a guy "doing a job", why aren't the pages full of paralegal scandals? Because they don't sell.

Demand and supply is the name of the game.

Or---if it bleeds, it leads.

Hey, if you want to double down on celebrity obsession as a justifiable reason why we are "entitled" to know the truth about the contents of Dustin Johnson's urine, go for it.  I'll high five some street sweepers on my way to the course tomorrow.  Tell them Shorty isn't interested in their Valtrex prescriptions.

"Witty golf quote."

Hey, if you want to double down on celebrity obsession as a justifiable reason why we are "entitled" to know the truth about the contents of Dustin Johnson's urine, go for it.  I'll high five some street sweepers on my way to the course tomorrow.  Tell them Shorty isn't interested in their Valtrex prescriptions.

Where did I write that I thought we were entitled to it? I don't think we are.

But  you have to admit that the public is more interested in knowing that a highly paid athlete is a drug addict than they are in reading about a paralegal's car troubles.

Where did I write that I thought we were entitled to it? I don't think we are.

But  you have to admit that the public is more interested in knowing that a highly paid athlete is a drug addict than they are in reading about a paralegal's car troubles.

Cool Breeze commented that he doesn't understand why people think they're "entitled" to know the results of DJ's test anymore than his.  You disagreed with his statement.  Meaning, you were saying that you don't understand why he doesn't think people are entitled to such information.

I see you're from Australia.  I'll help you with the English language all I can.

"Witty golf quote."

If people have bought into the Dustin Johnson brand, his endorsements, and his products, because of his clean image (some of which looks incredibly hypocritical incidentally - needs to reread Leviticus me thinkz) are they not in effect victims of deceit, even fraud?

If every time they buy product X, Dustin's getting a small slice of the royalty, are they not entitled to know a little bit more about him and then make an informed decision as to whether or not they wish to continue tacitly endorsing him or even contributing to sustaining his lifestyle

Let's look at it another way. Our glorious governments frequently tell us not to buy contraband cigarettes or similar black market products (because they don't get the tax revenues) but they use the cover story that the profits are used by vendors to fund undesirable activity from drug cartels to terrorism. A responsible consumer might take the view therefore that they'll buy products from such people (OK the whole idea that governments are good is riddled etc - but you know the point)

Cool Breeze commented that he doesn't understand why people think they're "entitled" to know the results of DJ's test anymore than his.  You disagreed with his statement.  Meaning, you were saying that you don't understand why he doesn't think people are entitled to such information.

I see you're from Australia.  I'll help you with the English language all I can.

You can try to be clever and witty, but it is you that has  a comprehension problem.

I am not saying that people are entitled to know. I am saying that it is not surprising that people want too know.

His point is that everyone is the same and that individual rights to privacy transcend the average person's desire to know their business.

I agree about that but I think that it is natural that people in the public eye are of more interest to the public than someone they've never heard of.

Not saying that's a good thing.

Having stated that, I do think that when kids tell their friends and parents that they want to be like "that guy" someone can say, "No you don't. Drug addicts are not cool".

Knowing the truth about someone's character isn't always a bad thing. And his affected swagger and choice of girlfriend is a bit of a giveaway, unfortunately. All part of a particularly unattractive package and story.

DJ would have had talks at school about the dangers of drugs from a young age. He thought he was too cool and could "handle" them. Surprise surprise. He can't.

Bad role model for kids and he doesn't deserve sponsors' money. Great golfer, though.

And if anyone says he doesn't have to be  a role model and didn't sign up for it, it comes with the territory.

• Administrator

If people have bought into the Dustin Johnson brand, his endorsements, and his products, because of his clean image (some of which looks incredibly hypocritical incidentally - needs to reread Leviticus me thinkz) are they not in effect victims of deceit, even fraud?

If every time they buy product X, Dustin's getting a small slice of the royalty, are they not entitled to know a little bit more about him and then make an informed decision as to whether or not they wish to continue tacitly endorsing him or even contributing to sustaining his lifestyle

No.

Those types of people should stop caring so much about what a celebrity endorser says. They're paid to endorse something. It works because people seem to give a shit about that kind of stuff.

Smarter people do not.

So those duped people who feel entitled to "know more"? They're just dumb, because they placed weight on the paid endorsement of a "celebrity."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!