IGNORED

Dustin Johnson taking a leave of absence from tour, Suspended for cocaine use

BENtSwing
Note: This thread is 3351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who knows what forced Johnson to face this (whether it was his family, the Tour, Adidas/TaylorMade, or himself) but huge kudos to DJ and his team for the way they are handling the situation.  Make a statement, handle your business privately, and get back as soon as possible.

This is exactly how Tiger should've handled his situation and his team (Steinberg, etc.) should've been fired a long time ago for the horrible advice they gave him.  The public and the media are not owed anything.  Get better, get your life together, and get back to work when you're ready.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

To play professional golf at the highest level requires a nerve and poise that doesn't go along with habitual stimulant use. If the rumors about Dustin's cocaine use are true, it's a short leap to reach the conclusion that he must be doing something else to compensate for it; otherwise, he wouldn't be able to do what he does for a living. Honestly, it's the "something else" that concerns be more; the best-case scenario is alcoholism, and from there is a lot of truly dangerous things that will kill a man a lot faster than even cocaine. If that is indeed what's going on, then Dustin has to take all the time and help he needs to find greater balance in his life. The opaqueness of the PGA Tour's policies on substance issues implies this isn't a decision he's made voluntarily, but it doesn't negate the gravity of his situation.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

To play professional golf at the highest level requires a nerve and poise that doesn't go along with habitual stimulant use. If the rumors about Dustin's cocaine use are true, it's a short leap to reach the conclusion that he must be doing something else to compensate for it; otherwise, he wouldn't be able to do what he does for a living. Honestly, it's the "something else" that concerns be more; the best-case scenario is alcoholism, and from there is a lot of truly dangerous things that will kill a man a lot faster than even cocaine. If that is indeed what's going on, then Dustin has to take all the time and help he needs to find greater balance in his life. The opaqueness of the PGA Tour's policies on substance issues implies this isn't a decision he's made voluntarily, but it doesn't negate the gravity of his situation.

Yeah, this is kinda what I was thinking. I dabbled with it a little back in the day. No way I'd have been able to play golf within 2 days of a high. I can't even play having had a Monster within a few hours. He always seems very calm, laid back on the course and in interviews, which would not indicate a coke issue so yeah, if it's coke, there must be a masking agent of some kind in play which could be more damaging long term.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pure speculation here - but I'd be very surprised if DJ is in fact dealing with minimally a cocaine addiction that Paulina isn't either an enabler or addicted as well.  What are the chances the treatment DJ is receiving will be successful if Paulina is not addressing any issues she might have?

Joe Paradiso

The opaqueness of the PGA Tour's policies on substance issues implies this isn't a decision he's made voluntarily

No it doesn't.  It only allows you to speculate, but it doesn't imply anything, because we'd get the exact same information from the PGA Tour whether he did this voluntary or involuntary, right?  We'd get nothing either way.

So this is why Taylormade started putting lines on their driver heads?

Too soon?

:-P

• Upvote 3

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A while back, in a different thread, I stated that DJ came across to me as a 'Stoner' type of person. His diction, mainly. Just had that sound of someone who rocks the ganj. But that was just an observation at the time which may have little to do with this.

But this, I think, does...and it's along the same observation I made about him back then. He comes across as a 'blow with the wind' kind of guy. The type who would easily go along with whatever is happening around him. I never sensed a strong type of 'this is my way of doing things' mien from him. More like, 'A party? Cool. Coke? Whatever.' He's like the anti-Tiger in terms of personality.

Now before I get hammered for totally talking out of my backside - I do have personal experience with addiction & substance abuse. I have been in rehab. And one of the things I learned is that there are certain personality traits common with addicts. It would appear DJ has these traits; at least from what I have gleaned from observing him.

And, if I may be so forward, this is also a life imitating art situation, as I wrote a novel last year about a pro golfer with a cocaine habit. In keeping with the rules of this site, I won't post links to it or promote it, and I'm really not trying to. But it does give insight into the addictive mind from the perspective of a pro golfer. If anyone is interested in learning more, drop me a PM.

A while back, in a different thread, I stated that DJ came across to me as a 'Stoner' type of person. His diction, mainly. Just had that sound of someone who rocks the ganj. But that was just an observation at the time which may have little to do with this.

But this, I think, does...and it's along the same observation I made about him back then. He comes across as a 'blow with the wind' kind of guy. The type who would easily go along with whatever is happening around him. I never sensed a strong type of 'this is my way of doing things' mien from him. More like, 'A party? Cool. Coke? Whatever.' He's like the anti-Tiger in terms of personality.

I don't think any of this is out of line.  You didn't jump to any conclusions, just stated your observations.  I would agree with them too.  He has always sounded like the stereotypical surfer/weed smoker type of guy.  And I think the "blow in the wind" comment seems reasonable too.

This just in

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/report-d-johnson-suspended-cocaine-use/?cid=twitter-gc-a-report-d-johnson-suspended-cocaine-use-080114

Quote:

Golf.com reported on Friday that Dustin Johnson is serving a six-month suspension for failing his third drug test.

According to an unnamed source, Johnson tested positive for marijuana in 2009 and for cocaine in 2012 and 2014.

On Thursday, Johnson released a statement saying, “taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately,” and earlier in the week he withdrew from the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational for “personal reasons.”

The PGA Tour ’s policy is not to report violations of the circuit’s anti-doping program if the drugs are considered recreational, like marijuana and cocaine.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Interesting 6 month suspension for this and Ray Rice gets a few games for knocking his wife out. Simply stunning.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!