IGNORED

Finally broke 80!

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't play 18 much (I plan to do so much more often), but my club opened up their "flagship" course in June after extensive renovations, and I had been dying to get out there. It looks terrific; it plays a bit tougher and longer than it used to. From the back tees, it's 7119 yards, but I hit from the second tees, which play to 6680. To give a brief recap, I was pretty good off the tee (more so on the front 9 than back 9), and my irons were excellent (more so on the back 9 than front 9, but still pretty good on the front). My putting was not very good. I did have four birdies, but I also three-putted five times, four of which were after being on in regulation, so I ended up with 37 putts on the round. I hit 12 greens in regulation, which I'm certain is a new personal best for me. I only missed two fairways on the front 9, but I was a bit more wild on the back 9. Luckily my misses weren't too bad and I still had a good look to the green on most of them.

I did kind of back into it a little bit (4 over on the last three holes), but I'm satisfied with the end result. I actually thought I had shot an 80 but I forgot about the second birdie I had on the back 9, so I thought I shot 39 instead of 38, and I was a lot more annoyed at three-putting the last green than I normally am cause I wanted that 79 so badly. It was also the first time I walked 18 in a long time. My legs and lower back were a bit tired afterward, but I much prefer it to riding. According to oobgolf, my handicap is a 5 now (was a 9.6), but I don't have many scores in so I'm not sure if I should change it or get a few more rounds in first.

Hole-by-hole breakdown (screenshot from oobgolf)

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations! Breaking 80 a awesome achievement. Jealous though as breaking 80 is my next big long term goal.

Henry

Thanks guys (especially @mvmac for taking the time to help me out with my swing), it only took me like eight years! Going into the round I didn't really have my sights set on it, just wanted a respectable score in the low-to-mid 80s, but I had a feeling it was gonna be a good round after the first hole. Drew my second shot to like 7 feet. I missed the birdie putt, but there's nothing wrong with a tap-in for par. I don't think I've ever had a GIR on every par 3 before, so that was cool. I really gotta work on that putting, though. From medium range I was pretty good but I could not get the distance down on longer putts. I didn't realize how few pars I had; I guess I took the "scenic route" to breaking 80.

-Rich

Excellent job and congrats! The one bit of advice I can give to stay there.... You did not get up and down to save par one single time, missing GIR cost you doubles and bogeys.. Work on that part of your game and you will shoot in 70's all the time. You hit a lot of greens otherwise and your distance with your club selection is great too. 4 birdies is solid and you obviously played well, especially if you rarely play 18 holes! Good job again!

Yeah that stuck out to me too when I was going over the scorecard. I was okay around the greens, I wouldn't say I was great but I certainly had a couple good chances to save par, which I couldn't do. All things considered I probably should've been lower than 79 with that many GIRs, but I'll just have to do it next time I'm out!

-Rich

Im really impressed by your 38 on the back nine while only hitting 2 fairways. What were your misses off the tee like?

Man, I bet that's a good feeling.  Every great now and then if the stars line up and I'm hitting the flat stick decently (doesn't happen very often) I can get into the 80s.

Hopefully some day I'll know what the 70s feel like.

Congrats friend.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

Congrats!!

I have shot lower 80's a few times (from 6000 yards), but never broke the barrier.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Im really impressed by your 38 on the back nine while only hitting 2 fairways. What were your misses off the tee like?

They really weren't that bad, only a few yards off, with the exception of 16 and 17 where the ball was either behind a tree or sitting down in the rough. Punched out on 17 nicely but then I chunked the hell out of a wedge so I was on in four. So while I did miss the fairway a lot on the back, I still had a good look to the green most of the time.

What course did you play on? I'm from Philly too

The Wissahickon course at the Philadelphia Cricket Club

-Rich

Congrats! Be careful it usually leads to changing expectations. After I did it I expected to do it again fairly quick and it took a while.

Dave :-)

Congrats! Be careful it usually leads to changing expectations. After I did it I expected to do it again fairly quick and it took a while.

QFT. I know that when i first broke 90, i instantly expected never to shoot above 90 again. Lets just say i was very wrong... Breaking a barrier once and doing it every time are very different. There is a saying about doing it once is easy but the second time is the hardest, can't remember the phrasing of it though

Henry

Note: This thread is 3543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!