IGNORED

2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Michael Breed is doing commentary on the PGA.com broadcast.

They asked him why Tiger hit it left. He said something on the lines off, the hips move too far forward and didn't rotate, when the hips stop rotating it caused the hands to close down and the ball to go left.

Any thoughts on this analysis?

He is 100% correct. Think about it, if your hips stop moving but your arms do not stop moving then the clubhead will end up going thru the hit zone early relative to your hips, and it will be with a closed face. Ball goes left.

Is anyone else as unimpressed as I am with Michael Breed's "expert" commentary and swing analysis?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is anyone else as unimpressed as I am with Michael Breed's "expert" commentary and swing analysis?

I with you.  But I don't know how to do one - that I would be impressed with - if stuck with 90 second sound bites.

I don't like his McLessons, but I suspect he's decent when giving 'real' lessons.

Bill - 

Maybe the worst thing about this shitty stream is that if you refresh the page you have to sit another 30 seconds through the same Mercedes ad.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Maybe the worst thing about this shitty stream is that if you refresh the page you have to sit another 30 seconds through the same Mercedes ad.

AdBlock :)

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

If you are referring to what he said about Tiger's hips not rotating and his hands coming thru fast he is right about that. If you stay "connected" and hit the ball straight, what happens when you are suddenly no longer connected because you stopped rotating your hips? Your hands would have gotten the club face thru early, and past square, so it is now shut at impact. Ball goes left.

Whenever I see Kevin Chappell I think of Dustin Johnson. I don't know why....but they look kinda like each other, especially the way they wear the hat and the sideburns. Almost identical.

If you are referring to what he said about Tiger's hips not rotating and his hands coming thru fast he is right about that. If you stay "connected" and hit the ball straight, what happens when you are suddenly no longer connected because you stopped rotating your hips? Your hands would have gotten the club face thru early, and past square, so it is now shut at impact. Ball goes left.

Not what I was talking about.  Just an overall general observation.  Started early on today when he was talking about the importance of paying attention to the direction of a divot and the flight of the displaced turf in analyzing a swing.

I've just never cared for his version of McLessons......and so far today I haven't heard anything to change that.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Whenever I see Kevin Chappell I think of Dustin Johnson. I don't know why....but they look kinda like each other, especially the way they wear the hat and the sideburns. Almost identical.

If Dustin Johnson shaved ...

Now I'm curious:  Has anybody ever seen these two in the same place at the same time?!?!?!  Just sayin ... :-P

If Dustin Johnson shaved ... Now I'm curious:  Has anybody ever seen these two in the same place at the same time?!?!?!  Just sayin ... :-P

DJ just will not take no for an answer!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Not what I was talking about.  Just an overall general observation.  Started early on today when he was talking about the importance of paying attention to the direction of a divot and the flight of the displaced turf in analyzing a swing.

I've just never cared for his version of McLessons......and so far today I haven't heard anything to change that.

I did not see what Breed said, but the divot can indeed tell you something about what you did in your swing. Suppose the player intended to hit the ball with a slight inside to out swing, but their divot is pointing 20 degrees left, that tells the right handed player that his swing path was out to in, not in to out as had been intended. Not sure what the problem is with telling a learning player about this. When I learned to play golf a lifetime ago the teaching pro told me the same thing about checking out divots.

Curious, all. The PGA steam. How often have you had to restart? Do you use Adblock? So far 3 times since the start for me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Curious, all. The PGA steam. How often have you had to restart? Do you use Adblock?

I'm using the app..coverage starts in 45 minutes...

Riley

Curious, all. The PGA steam. How often have you had to restart? Do you use Adblock?

I use ad block. I've had to refresh several times but don't have to watch any ads.

I did not see what Breed said, but the divot can indeed tell you something about what you did in your swing. Suppose the player intended to hit the ball with a slight inside to out swing, but their divot is pointing 20 degrees left, that tells the right handed player that his swing path was out to in, not in to out as had been intended. Not sure what the problem is with telling a learning player about this. When I learned to play golf a lifetime ago the teaching pro told me the same thing about checking out divots.

I'll stay out of the direction opinion but fat, yes divots will tell you about fat.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Curious, all. The PGA steam. How often have you had to restart? Do you use Adblock? So far 3 times since the start for me.

It works fine on my phone, but it locks up constantly on my Mac. Reloading the page stopped working after a while. I don't use Adblock.

In my bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

So far 3 times since the start for me.

It works fine on my phone, but it locks up constantly on my Mac. Reloading the page stopped working after a while. I don't use Adblock.

I have had to reload many times.  It keeps working though.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!