IGNORED

2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

..and Mikko Illonen can get into form..*drools all over oneself* --------- Or it could just be a sign that people like Phil...I dunno. Good ratings though, good for golf. I think the fact that most of the first round was insane helped. I mean, at one point there was 10 within one of the lead!

Anybody notice that rarely will Tiger and Phil go at it like Phil and Rory did yesterday? That has always amazed me. When Tiger plays well, Phil doesn't and vice versa. Have Rory and Tiger ever gone at it?

Anybody notice that rarely will Tiger and Phil go at it like Phil and Rory did yesterday? That has always amazed me. When Tiger plays well, Phil doesn't and vice versa. Have Rory and Tiger ever gone at it?

I dunno. I mean Tiger & Phil haven't really been "rivals" we've never had a true Tiger/Phil in a major duel. Tigers always been the star and Phil is kind of the Scottie Pippen of golf if that makes sense. Of course, Tiger & Phil aren't exactly on the same team...

Riley

I thought about that a little, and it seems to me that as long as the TV crews can help with their technology in an even-handed fashion, I think it's great. If they use it to help their favorites, but then selectively choose to not get involved for certain players, then their decisions might have an effect on the outcome of the competition- not cool. There shouldn't be any rules regarding their assistance, but we fans could raise hell if we see them not being even-handed. I don't see any issues with what they've done so far, and I think it's great to use the tools at our disposal to find every ball possible.

Re: Feherty looking for Day's ball. Well, that's just it, isn't it? As long as the media's ball-finding services are available to every group, I guess it would be all right.

Side note: I wish I had as many people looking for my ball when it goes into the weeds as look for a pro's ball. How much lower would our handicaps be if we could play like the professionals do, whose ball always gets found, and who have ten guys come from nowhere and move a boulder for you, etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

I thought about that a little, and it seems to me that as long as the TV crews can help with their technology in an even-handed fashion, I think it's great. If they use it to help their favorites, but then selectively choose to not get involved for certain players, then their decisions might have an effect on the outcome of the competition- not cool. There shouldn't be any rules regarding their assistance, but we fans could raise hell if we see them not being even-handed. I don't see any issues with what they've done so far, and I think it's great to use the tools at our disposal to find every ball possible.

Re: Feherty looking for Day's ball. Well, that's just it, isn't it? As long as the media's ball-finding services are available to every group, I guess it would be all right.

Side note: I wish I had as many people looking for my ball when it goes into the weeds as look for a pro's ball. How much lower would our handicaps be if we could play like the professionals do, whose ball always gets found, and who have ten guys come from nowhere and move a boulder for you, etc.?

There was a tournament a couple of years ago where Rory hit the ball into a tree.  The network found the ball using the camera in a blimp and called down to the rules official to tell them where the ball was.  I wish we had that service too!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

There was a tournament a couple of years ago…

… Yes, that was… also the PGA Championship! :D (At Kiawah Island.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

… Yes, that was… also the PGA Championship! :D (At Kiawah Island.)

One would need that service there. It's the 2nd and last over 100 score I've ever had. My God, that was a difficult track. Think I shot a 106.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Strokes shown per player during the CBS telecast of the Sunday round of the PGA Championship.

http://www.classictvsports.com/2014/08/shot-chart-from-cbs-sunday-telecast-of.html?m=1

Player Shots shown Finish Pairing
Phil Mickelson 66 (of 66) 2 2
Rickie Fowler 65 (of 67*) T3 2
Rory McIlroy 63 (of 68) 1 1
Henrik Stenson 52 T3 4
Bernd Wiesberger 33 T15 1
Ernie Els 28 T7 14
Jason Day 16 T15 3
Louis Oosthuizen 13 T15 3
Thorbjorn Oleson 11 T30 26
Mikko Ilonen 9 T7 4
Ryan Palmer 7 T5 5
Jimmy Walker 7 T7 14
Kenny Perry 7 T27 20
Jim Furyk 4 T5 9
Lee Westwood 4 T15 8
Charl Schwartzel 4 T15 18
Alexander Levy 4 T30 15
Sergio Garcia 3 T36 13
Steve Stricker 2 T7 6
Marc Warren 2 T15 12
Jerry Kelly 2 T27 22
Vijay Singh 2 T36 28
Chris Wood 2 T47 19
Graeme McDowell 2 T47 32
Victor Dubuisson 1 T7 11
Brandt Snedeker 1 T13 10
Graham DeLaet 1 T15 6
Brooks Koepka 1 T15 12
Joost Luiten 1 26 9
Ian Poulter 1 T59 26
Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 1 T59 31
JB Holmes 1 T65 18
Hunter Mahan 0 T7 7
others 0
total 416

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interesting.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Who's Mikko Ilonen?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Who's Mikko Ilonen?

[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/76282/2014-pga-championship-discussion-thread/1720_40#post_1040913"]Pretty sure he's a defenseman for the Maple Leafs. [/quote] Everyone loves a good Finn!

Riley

Pretty sure he's a defenseman for the Maple Leafs.

That's my problem, I don't follow curling.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Strokes shown per player during the CBS telecast of the Sunday round of the PGA Championship.

http://www.classictvsports.com/2014/08/shot-chart-from-cbs-sunday-telecast-of.html?m=1

Hunter Mahan

T7

others

total

Does Hunter Mahan bite the heads of bats and drink pigs blood?

Anyone know how long this 'show' was on air? 416 shots is about 6 complete rounds isn't it. Assume therefore that it was 6 hours? (even I can multiply that) for 360 minutes, about one shot every 51.6 seconds? I don't know if that's good or bad? but what it probably fails to legislate for is that the only thing the viewer is interested in is the execution of a shot. Surely a big part of the 'slow burn' of golf is assessing the shot and the build up towards it being played etc I guess you can only really make sense of these figures if you knew how time was spent on commercials

Strokes shown per player during the CBS telecast of the Sunday round of the PGA Championship.

Player

Shots shown

Finish

Pairing

Phil Mickelson

66 (of 66)

Rickie Fowler

65 (of 67*)

T3

Rory McIlroy

63 (of 68)

Henrik Stenson

T3

Bernd Wiesberger

T15

Ernie Els

T7

Jason Day

T15

Louis Oosthuizen

T15

Thorbjorn Oleson

T30

Mikko Ilonen

T7

Ryan Palmer

T5

Jimmy Walker

T7

Kenny Perry

T27

Jim Furyk

T5

Lee Westwood

T15

Charl Schwartzel

T15

Alexander Levy

T30

Sergio Garcia

T36

Steve Stricker

T7

Marc Warren

T15

Jerry Kelly

T27

Vijay Singh

T36

Chris Wood

T47

Graeme McDowell

T47

Victor Dubuisson

T7

Brandt Snedeker

T13

Graham DeLaet

T15

Brooks Koepka

T15

Joost Luiten

Ian Poulter

T59

Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano

T59

JB Holmes

T65

Hunter Mahan

T7

others

total

Pretty surprising that Mahan finished inside the top 10 and didn't get a single swing televised, even more surprising is Dubuisson only getting 1 swing on-air (I remember it too, lol). I kind of had the impression that Dubuisson was one of the young up and comers and after that WGC match play against Jason Day I expected the media to do a lot more to "pump his tires".

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Aside from personally wanting to see a little more Victor Dub, and Thorbjorn getting far too much airtime, I'm totally fine with those numbers/telecast.

Poor Hunter though, lol.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Anyone know how long this 'show' was on air? 416 shots is about 6 complete rounds isn't it. Assume therefore that it was 6 hours? (even I can multiply that) for 360 minutes, about one shot every 51.6 seconds? I don't know if that's good or bad? but what it probably fails to legislate for is that the only thing the viewer is interested in is the execution of a shot. Surely a big part of the 'slow burn' of golf is assessing the shot and the build up towards it being played etc I guess you can only really make sense of these figures if you knew how time was spent on commercials

I know Sunday was 11-1 on "TNT" network here, and then 1pm-8:40ish (sunset I think) on CBS network. I think the 416 shots was likely for the CBS only. And that CBS coverage was packed with commercials, early on in particular. Many of us won't buy an Omega watch on principle now.

Your bolded line reminded me of how many people are starting to comment how much they love the "featured groups" live streams. You get a much better sense of how the round feels by watching all the inaction between the action. It feels more like the rounds we play ourselves.

I can see in the future possibly having many different live feeds simultaneously- letting the viewers decide what they wanted to watch. We can see the leaderboard ourselves, and we can flick ourselves between which groups we want to tune into. Replay whatever we want. We could be our own producers, in a sense. Give us the raw feeds, let us digest it however we want. Let us tie into whatever "banter" we want to on the course, although that might be tough, as I realize much of that is done on a delay. At the present, the technology isn't there for us to use multiple live streams, as it seems the feeds are too often intermittent. Plus, I doubt the networks would want to part completely with their packaging of the event.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Many of us won't buy an Omega watch on principle now.

You don't know how pleased I am to hear that - the next thing to do is let Omega know

Your other points are interesting, and my own suspcion is that you're onto something

If you're a golfer, you're self-employed. You aren't salaried by the PGA are you, albeit I suspect you must have to sign something that binds you to them? There is nothing to prevent you setting up a whole raft of companies and other outside comercial ventures though, as numerous golfers have done. Presumably you could set up a television  production company. What in law therefore, would stop you as a self-employed indvidual filiming yourself in the work place and broadcasting that live? I realise that contractual arrangements wouldn't stand it at the moment, but is there anything illegal about it?

Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!