IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

All this time faithfully chronicling Luiten every week and then he wins the week you're on vacation??  Harsh.

Its even worse, the KLM-open is in @Silent 's backyard, he could have seen Luiten win on course.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Broke100Once said:

All this time faithfully chronicling Luiten every week and then he wins the week you're on vacation??  Harsh.

Irony.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 23-9-2016 at 10:00 AM, Broke100Once said:

Irony is a b*tch ;-) Ah well, family life is (much) more important and I had a blast at Gran Canaria.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow Joost will tee it of at the WGC HSBC Champions. At the Final Series he will skip the Turkish Airlines Open (no idea why, probably to make his schedule less busy?) but the weeks after that the big tournaments Nedbank Challenge and ofcourse the DP World Tour Championship Dubai.

At the World Cup of Golf he will represent the Netherlands together with Challenge Tour player Darius van Driel.

~Jorrit

Joost, rhymes with toast.

Along with plenty of great golf and socializing, I'm proud to say that @MacDutch and the rest of his merry band taught me how to properly pronounce Joost's name, first and last.  :-)

The rest of the Dutch I've learned from them over the past 4 years is pretty much limited to words/phrases best not repeated on a family friendly forum like this.   :whistle:

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

Luiten is back in the OWGR top 60 after a 16th place at the WGC-HSBC and a 14th place at the Nedbank Golf Challenge (the last one only 15 players under par, however it feels like more was possible for Joost).

This week the big final in Dubai. The last three years there he had a top 10 twice, including a T4. 

~Jorrit

• 2 weeks later...

Luiten finished the European Tour season as 59th on the OWGR, which is 25 places higher than after last season. Money-wise it was his second best season in his career. Next the World Cup of Golf together with Darius van Driel (Challenge Tour player), I suspect after that he'll take a break (or maybe tries to play a tournament to reach the top 50 again).

~Jorrit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next week Luiten will start his season playing three tournaments in a row at the so called Desert Swing. His goal for 2017 is winning at least one tournament, reach the top 30 of the OWGR and be in contention for the win in at least one major. Yes, he really said that.... let's just say it's good he has ambition, hopefully he can show it. Last season was pretty good, a little bit better will be a fantastic season I guess.

~Jorrit

• 4 weeks later...

The Desert Swing is behind us... very steady play from Luiten with only one round of the twelve over par (+1). However he never went very low either, resulting in one top 30 and two top 25's in the three tournaments played. Knowing Luiten's ambition, he won't be that happy ;)

He will play the WGC - Mexico Championship early March, and his team is busy trying to get invitations for PGA Tournaments in the upcoming time.

~Jorrit

• 4 weeks later...

After a few weeks rest, Luiten plays the WGC Mexico Championship. Good play so far, T15 into the weekend. Round 3 paired with Fowler and Westwood.

~Jorrit

After finishing T25 Luiten has mixed feelings. From tee to green he played very well (final day 17/18 GIR)... but shooting only one birdie that last day after such statistics is disappointing, and leaves him with the feeling so much more was possible. Next I think the MatchPlay championship, if I'm not mistaken he's just high enough on the rankings to participate. 

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

3 hours ago, Silent said:

After finishing T25 Luiten has mixed feelings. From tee to green he played very well (final day 17/18 GIR)... but shooting only one birdie that last day after such statistics is disappointing, and leaves him with the feeling so much more was possible. Next I think the MatchPlay championship, if I'm not mistaken he's just high enough on the rankings to participate. 

Silent,I hope he's in. 4 Europeans in the top 5 in Mexico,take heart Joost.

Is he in the Masters this year??

6 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Silent,I hope he's in. 4 Europeans in the top 5 in Mexico,take heart Joost.

Is he in the Masters this year??

He needs a good result at the Match Play champ. to qualify for Masters.

~Jorrit

As a regular viewer of the European Tour over the past 10 years I have seen Joost Luiten become a skilled, consistent player. Indeed, he is often touted as a contender for most tournaments he enters on the European circuit. However, I have noticed from watching him play (both on tv and live) that he struggles around the greens with his chipping and pitching. He often uses a putter in situations where most would chip or pitch. His results suggest that this approach regularly works but often he limits his scoring/up-and-down percentage by putting. With Joost playing in more international events, specifically many with poa annua grass, I am concerned he might struggle with this strategy. @Silent as you follow Joost's career intently I was wondering what your thoughts are on his game and what's holding him back from making it as one of golf's elite players?

Also, very niche  and interesting topic to read through. I have enjoyed reading it and look forward to hearing your insights into Joost's game.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for posting @ScottishGolfer. I think your analysis is spot on. In my opinion, from tee to green, Joost Luiten already is one of the best in the world. Even though you might say he misses just a tiny bit of distance, his stats in that area are very good. Last week at the WGC it was also impressive, especially the last day. He got 17/18 GIR, yet his scoring of that day was +1. Only one birdie and a double bogey after his only missed green; a double touch chip, from a position that wasn't plugged or anything (in other words: he messed up). On and around the green is basically where he loses his shots. If his putting and short game is just 'good' he will be in contention in almost every tournament he enters, if it's perfect he's the favorite for the win. It will be hard to get to that level consistently ofcourse.

So for me I have no doubt that the answer to your question what's holding him back from making it as an elite player, is generally his short game and putting. With 5 wins (and probably more coming) on the European Tour he proved he's a very good player, but to take the final step and show himself in the really big tournaments also he needs to step up his game in that area, if possible.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

Thanks for your reply @Silent. Interesting stats from last week and also your insight in general on Joost Luiten. As I say, I do like Joost and as I am part of the European Tour Fantasy league he regularly has a birth on my team due to his consistency. I hope that he finds a way to manage his short game on the courses which demand an exceptional short game. I will continue to follow your posts and his progress. Hopefully he has another good season!

• 2 weeks later...

Luiten will play in the Match Play Championship this week, a format he really likes. Hopefully he can get a result here, if he wants to play The Masters he will need it. If he doesn't qualify for the Masters his schedule will be:

- Shenzhen International, 20 t/m 23 april, Genzon GC, China

- Volvo China Open, 27 t/m 30 april, Topwin GC, Beijing, China

-  BMW PGA Championship, 25 t/m 28 mei, Wentworth Club, Virginia Water, Engeland

- Nordea Masters, 1 t/m 4 juni, Barsebäck GC, Zweden

- US Open*, 15 t/m 18 juni, Erin Hills GC, Wisconsin

- HNA Open de France, 29 juni t/m 2 juli, Le Golf National, Parijs

- Dubai Duty Free Irish Open, 6 t/m 9 juli

- 146th Open Championship, 20 t/m 23 juli, Royal Birkdale, Southport, Engeland 

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!