IGNORED

Bubba Protests Long Drive Competition at PGA

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is this just Bubba being Bubba or should the PGA reconsider holding a long drive compeition during a practice round?

• Bubba needs to get over himself
    • PGA should let the golfers prepare for the tournament without unnecessary distractions.

Just watched chamblee and Nobilo's assessment... I am now a bigger Frank Nobilo fan than ever...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems Bubba has to have some PR transgressions every so often.   He handled it poorly, especially since it was for charity but I can see his perspective as well in that the PGA could have had a separate long drive competition event that pro's signed up for versus putting each pro on the spot at 10 to show off their stuff.   It minimally should have been something all the pro's were aware of or even got to vote on before it was setup.

I don't know if they were aware of it or not but it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, it's been on the pga's website for awhile now, so I'm sure they new about it. Maybe he just couldn't stand all the focus on tiger and will he play or won't he, maybe he just needed some attention.

I don't care about this too much.  What will be more entertaining to me will be to watch how many pages this thread stretches out based on one shot a guy hit in a practice round.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

If it was part of his practice round, why not hit a normal drive off the tee and be done with it?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Most importantly, who exactly won the whole thing? The longest drive of the day belonged, to whom?

Louis Oosthuizen, 340 yards. So the real winner is Jack Nicklaus.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wonder if he will skip a ball across the pond at 16 at Augusta during a practice round next year.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I'd guess that he was worried about being outdriven and that it might hurt his reputation, or something petty like that. Never liked Bubba and that trend will likely continue for the foreseeable future.

-Rich

My guess is he didn't want to potentially lose a competition everybody was expecting him to win. Why risk his repputation as the long drive king of the PGA tour if he isn't getting anything out of it? Of course his little protest backfired because this makes him look a lot worse than he would if he didn't win.

Agreed.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Well, if he is that focused, he should have a decent tournament. Then again, with this kind of attitude, he just might not be mentally ready to play, and will have a hard time playing well. It's a coin toss with him. He is one of those pga golfers  who like to draw attention to themselves. Good, bad, or indifferent he seems to like lime light.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Totally agree with Aaron Oberholser's take on this. Bubba really needs to work on his PR and doing this was just a slap in the face to the PGA who is trying to revive this major and make it unique.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

My guess is he didn't want to potentially lose a competition everybody was expecting him to win. Why risk his repputation as the long drive king of the PGA tour if he isn't getting anything out of it? Of course his little protest backfired because this makes him look a lot worse than he would if he didn't win.

THIS

Just watched chamblee and Nobilo's assessment... I am now a bigger Frank Nobilo fan than ever...

I missed it, what'd he say?

Louis Oosthuizen, 340 yards.

So the real winner is Jack Nicklaus.

haha good one

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Alright, Bubba is an ass.  He says he doesn't care what other people think about him, which is nonsense.  He has sponsors, for one.  Then he pulls out some tired Christian bullshit about reading the Bible.  I mean, how are these two things related?  What a turd.

"Witty golf quote."

Louis Oosthuizen, 340 yards.

So the real winner is Jack Nicklaus.

1. Louis - 340
  2. Jason Day - 338
  3. Johan Kok - 337
  4. Gary Woodland - 330
  5. Rickie Fowler - 328
  6. Keegan Bradley - 326

Listening to Bubba's interview right now ... he does come across as a selfish ass.  Brandel called him out.  Nobilo was very diplomatic and just basically said that he didn't want to be judgmental.  Pretty much agree with them both.

Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!