IGNORED

Bubba Protests Long Drive Competition at PGA

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is this just Bubba being Bubba or should the PGA reconsider holding a long drive compeition during a practice round?

• Bubba needs to get over himself
    • PGA should let the golfers prepare for the tournament without unnecessary distractions.

I'll buy the book-but only if it's free.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

“I think the media really loves me because I don’t give PC answers,” Watson said. “Sometimes people write different stories and make it and twist it in ways they want to. But again, the way I live my life and the way I want to live my life as a Christian, I don’t read, I took the internet off my phone. I don’t read what people write about me. I don’t read what people say about me.

Live my life as a christian. What does this mean exactly? Can someone define a christian life?

He should have said 'live my life as how I want to live it' - because saying you want to live your life as a 'christian' either means as a good person or a bad person ( yes, christians can be bad people believe it or not ) - like any other person.

It has no clarity to it what so ever.

Bubba seems to think claiming yourself as christian automatically makes you a good person. This is complete rubbish.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It has no clarity to it what so ever.

Bubba seems to think claiming yourself as christian automatically makes you a good person. This is complete rubbish.

Exactly - it's almost along the lines of the "last refuge of a scoundrel".

So much of what he does is against what he would appear to think he is doing.

He seems to think that being a good father, a faithful husband and being grateful for his wealth tick all the boxes.

Not the sharpest tool in the box, which is fine, but he's such a hypocritical jerk.

Imagine the conversations around the dining room table at his place. The mind boggles.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

he might be a Christian but clearly he has some head issues.the contest was for charity and as far as I know charity is a big deal to a Christian.i guess it wasn't part of his Christian charity work.he is the only one that had issue about it from what weve heard so that tells you a lot about his attitude.

Poor Tom Watson, he deserves better than this rabble. Just look at what he's had this week

1: Patrick Reed (universally felt to be of questionable charisma plays his way into the team) now Tom has to find a way integrating him

2: Dustin Johnson is revealed as the PGA's resident Lothario who can hit a ball so high it comes down with snow on it

3: Tiger Woods, he of the hokey cokey in, out, in, out, gets himself injured

4: Talking of Hokey's now he's got Bubba Watson threatening to declare war on the media ahead of a Ryder Cup in a hostile country, because he can't hit a couple of drives on behalf of the PGA

I've got news for you Bubba, cleverer and more influential people than you have tried, and failed to take on the British media. If you turn up in this country handing out those kind of lectures and frankly appalling justifications, you'll be in very real danger of turning an entire crowd hostile against your team single handedly. Not even the immense goodwill built up by your captain will save you. Golf is a game played by indviduals and you don't quite get the protection of a team culture that you might in football. The hostility against the individual can be magnified, and if you think a few TV crews standing inside the ropes is distracting, you ain't seen nothing yet. Frankly Bubba, we've seen enough of you to know that you aren't that rare kind of breed (a Poulter) who thrives on being the baddie. In fact you're particularly flakey, as is Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk

Someone on team America needs to muzzle Bubba Watson quickly. Save that kind of thing for when you're on home turf. Bring it over here and you're inviting ridicule and worse.

It'd be funny if the crowd turned up wearing animal heads like in The Wickerman. That was filmed near Turnberry come to think of it. Wouldn't half freak Bubba out, and Keegan, and Rickey,

I think there could be a very real danger (and I mean this sincerely) that if Bubba Watson isn't careful, he's going to put a very heavy religious slant on this Ryder Cup if the media decide to pick it up and run with it. It's only going to take a couple of ill thought out comments, and he's more than capable of those. Don't rule it out. Our media know we're essentially a country of non-believers and aren't going to react very well to an evangelising American golfer with a strange name coming over here preaching to us. It might just be the fuse that they latch onto yet. The media is incredibly self-regarding in this country, and they're much more practised in the dark arts of spin and misrepresentation than Bubba Watson. They can be quite capable of inflaming a situation if they choose to hone in on an indvidual and then roll that out to the team. I said right at the very start that Tom is the best weapon America has for taking the crowd out of the equation. He's going to have to do more work in this direction than you would ideally like a Captain to concentrate on if you aren't careful

Poor Tom Watson, he deserves better than this rabble. Just look at what he's had this week

1: Patrick Reed (universally felt to be of questionable charisma plays his way into the team) now Tom has to find a way integrating him

2: Dustin Johnson is revealed as the PGA's resident Lothario who can hit a ball so high it comes down with snow on it

3: Tiger Woods, he of the hokey cokey in, out, in, out, gets himself injured

4: Talking of Hokey's now he's got Bubba Watson threatening to declare war on the media ahead of a Ryder Cup in a hostile country, because he can't hit a couple of drives on behalf of the PGA

I've got news for you Bubba, cleverer and more influential people than you have tried, and failed to take on the British media. If you turn up in this country handing out those kind of lectures and frankly appalling justifications, you'll be in very real danger of turning an entire crowd hostile against your team single handedly. Not even the immense goodwill built up by your captain will save you. Golf is a game played by indviduals and you don't quite get the protection of a team culture that you might in football. The hostility against the individual can be magnified, and if you think a few TV crews standing inside the ropes is distracting, you ain't seen nothing yet. Frankly Bubba, we've seen enough of you to know that you aren't that rare kind of breed (a Poulter) who thrives on being the baddie. In fact you're particularly flakey, as is Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk

Someone on team America needs to muzzle Bubba Watson quickly. Save that kind of thing for when you're on home turf. Bring it over here and you're inviting ridicule and worse.

It'd be funny if the crowd turned up wearing animal heads like in The Wickerman. That was filmed near Turnberry come to think of it. Wouldn't half freak Bubba out, and Keegan, and Rickey,

I think there could be a very real danger (and I mean this sincerely) that if Bubba Watson isn't careful, he's going to put a very heavy religious slant on this Ryder Cup if the media decide to pick it up and run with it. It's only going to take a couple of ill thought out comments, and he's more than capable of those. Don't rule it out. Our media know we're essentially a country of non-believers and aren't going to react very well to an evangelising American golfer with a strange name coming over here preaching to us. It might just be the fuse that they latch onto yet. The media is incredibly self-regarding in this country, and they're much more practised in the dark arts of spin and misrepresentation than Bubba Watson. They can be quite capable of inflaming a situation if they choose to hone in on an indvidual and then roll that out to the team. I said right at the very start that Tom is the best weapon America has for taking the crowd out of the equation. He's going to have to do more work in this direction than you would ideally like a Captain to concentrate on if you aren't careful

I wouldn't worry - Europe is going to wipe the floor with the U.S, regardless of what Bubba says or does.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Unfortunately for Bubba, JC wanted him to hit a driver on that long drive hole. Oooops!!!! :doh:

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I wouldn't worry - Europe is going to wipe the floor with the U.S, regardless of what Bubba says or does.

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  U.S. is going to get crushed, I'm afraid.

I think there could be a very real danger (and I mean this sincerely) that if Bubba Watson isn't careful, he's going to put a very heavy religious slant on this Ryder Cup if the media decide to pick it up and run with it. It's only going to take a couple of ill thought out comments, and he's more than capable of those. Don't rule it out. Our media know we're essentially a country of non-believers and aren't going to react very well to an evangelising American golfer with a strange name coming over here preaching to us.

Did not know Britain was essentially a Country of Non-Christians. Do not believe the stats bear out your claim.

Haven't heard Bubba do the "John the Baptist" gig. It is his belief that he is a Christian, and like some other athletes, he thanks JC for his "gifts" and wins.

I'm certain some media will attempt to put a slant on Bubba and portray him as a southern "hillbilly" but my bet is that Bubba will keep a relatively low profile overseas.

Seems like the Euros have the advantage again this year.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did not know Britain was essentially a Country of Non-Christians. Do not believe the stats bear out your claim. Haven't heard Bubba do the "John the Baptist" gig. It is his belief that he is a Christian, and like some other athletes, he thanks JC for his "gifts" and wins. I'm certain some media will attempt to put a slant on Bubba and portray him as a southern "hillbilly" but my bet is that Bubba will keep a relatively low profile overseas. Seems like the Euros have the advantage again this year.

He said non-believers, in Christ, but I believe it increasingly is becoming a country of believers, in Allah. ;)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm afraid you're guilty of twisting things there Mr D

What I said is "non-believers" perhaps you'd be so good as to acknowledge that you converted that into "Non-christian"?

And yes, many more people in the population would identify themselves as 'atheists' 'agnostics' or 'don't knows' than they ever would "believers", most certainly. It's why churches which are falling into disrepair and being converted into housing developments and theme pubs. Hell, there's even senior clergymen who question the legitmiacy of the Bible (they're called modernists in the church).

Why do you think Alistair Campbell famously snapped at the media "we don't do God" when questioned about Tony Blair's faith? Because he knew it would be a massive vote loser if Blair was to emerge as a christian fundamentalist in the electorates eyes

I'm afraid you're guilty of twisting things there Mr D

What I said is "non-believers" perhaps you'd be so good as to acknowledge that you converted that into "Non-christian"?

And yes, many more people in the population would identify themselves as 'atheists' 'agnostics' or 'don't knows' than they ever would "believers", most certainly. It's why churches which are falling into disrepair and being converted into housing developments and theme pubs. Hell, there's even senior clergymen who question the legitmiacy of the Bible (they're called modernists in the church).

Why do you think Alistair Campbell famously snapped at the media "we don't do God" when questioned about Tony Blair's faith? Because he knew it would be a massive vote loser if Blair was to emerge as a christian fundamentalist in the electorates eyes

In the States, or at least where we I live, non-believers are non-Christians.

If one lived in a Muslim country, non-believer would probably be anyone other than a believer in Islam. A non-believer may also be an atheist if one defines non-believer as one who has no belief in God.

Being from different countries, one must define non-believer. Since we were discussing Bubba and his Christian beliefs, one would naturally be involved in a discussion where a non-believer would be defined as a non-Christian. So who is doing the converting in this discussion? Not me.

From the 2012 stats I saw, in Britain, 6 of 10 identify themselves as Christian in terms of religion. In the States, Christianity is not "religion," but a belief. Religion is typically deemed as organized religions such as Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc.

These stats are subject to large percentage errors -- I would bet that if the question was a belief in Jesus Christ, and not a question of religion, that 6 of 10 in Britain would be more like 7/10, even though the percentage appears to be falling in terms of the question asked (religion).

As to people not doing God, heck, in other times, we  (the USA) were less prone to "do God" when it comes to government. It is cyclical. As to the Bible, many Christians don't believe  it is all factual, but they still have faith in JC. The Catholic priests where I was taught told us in the early 70's, told us that much. I think science teaches us that Creation in 7 days would have been evolution at hyperspeed. Heck, even Mother Theresa doubted her faith in God at times when she saw all of the suffering surrounding her.

Now Bubba may have an unsophisticated view of JC, but it is what it is; and the British media are what they are.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Gentlemen,

I recall the topic was the Protest of the Long Drive Competition.  Please return to that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What typically happens on a census is that you're asked to tick a box that lists a whole motley collection of religious affiliations with a final offer of 'other'. 'Other' is often felt to be an implied minority religion, and rarely interpreted as a vote for non belief

After people have assessed their options, christianity seems like the safest port in a storm. It's a long way from being a believer though. Many non-believers have been duped into ticking that box.

If you want a more accurate figure, try asking google about 'belief in God' not what religion you are being forced into describing yourself as belonging to on a census return.

I'd estimate the number of people who believe in a Christian God in heaven to be less than 20%. This figure is likely to be corrupted a bit by elderly folk who experience late conversions too. It's also likely that Catholicism has a higher control over its followers as well. If you wanted to hone in on the true level of dis-belief you'd need to find away of separating the Church of England from other christian demoninations

The balance of the evidence presented by a scientific explanation has widely been considered to be the more persuasive. More people believe in alien life forms than they do God

So in a supplementary answer to a related observation, Bubba thanking the Lord would also grate with us (he wouldn't even need to preach it). We probably conclude though that God must prefer Europe's golfers to America's, as Langer apart, we never think to thank him, and yet he keeps letting us win

Gunter's point isn't entirely a case of smoke without fire either. Faith belief has only shown signs of stabalising due to the influx of incoming populationsfrom other parts of the world where belief is much stronger

yeah . . . WWJD . . . what would Jesus drive . . . Titleist?  Nike?  Hard to say.  I read a funny article on that topic once by an automotive journalist.   The guy's conclusion, based on visiting the parking lot of the local Carpenter's Union was the first century equivalent of Ford pickup truck. One thing's for sure, Bubba Watson doesn't have any better idea than I do of WWJD.

Back to the original topic . . . It's the beginning of the school year and my wife teaches 3rd grade.  Every year she has at least one student whose parents are under the impression that their child's feces are odorless.  I think Bubba's what you get when those little narcissists bloom into adulthood.  OTOH, for every little Bubba you get a Padraig Harrington (a/k/a the Happy Gilmore imitator at that contest), and with those kids the teacher really means it when the report card comes home saying little Paddy/Sean/Jenny is a pleasure to have in class.

Bubba is way too much Duck Dynasty for my taste.

• Upvote 2

Bubba is a pretty weird guy all around I think.

This wasn't surprising.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I think there's enough incidents where Bubba needs to get over himself.   Yes, some people handle things differently than others.   And I don't have any real dislike for him.   But he needs to handle things better, shut up, or not be on a public stage if this keeps happening.

—Adam

Note: This thread is 3537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!