IGNORED

Sliced a ball into an expensive window. Did I do the right thing?

Michael Lee
Note: This thread is 3293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today I played well, relative to my handicap of 21, I shot 92 (with five three putts).  I'd love to be happy, but I sliced badly on hole number five  (on which course specifically is irrelevant) and I heard a smashing unlike anything I've ever heard before. It was a large expensive window on at least a five million dollar home.

The people who live in such houses, so they say, cannot obtain insurance against golf ball damages because such a thing it too expensive.

I did not know what to do.  Leave a message saying sorry about the window, but that will teach ya to build on a golf course idiot?  So I just ran away like a ten year old playing knock a door ginger.

What should I do?  Confess to a wealthy man that I'm poor and can't afford to pay for the damages?

Inform him he can't sue poor people?  Please help, my conscience is killing me.

Today I played well, relative to my handicap of 21, I shot 92 (with five three putts).  I'd love to be happy, but I sliced badly on hole number five  (on which course specifically is irrelevant) and I heard a smashing unlike anything I've ever heard before. It was a large expensive window on at least a five million dollar home.

The people who live in such houses, so they say, cannot obtain insurance against golf ball damages because such a thing it too expensive.

I did not know what to do.  Leave a message saying sorry about the window, but that will teach ya to build on a golf course idiot?  So I just ran away like a ten year old playing knock a door ginger.

What should I do?  Confess to a wealthy man that I'm poor and can't afford to pay for the damages?

Inform him he can't sue poor people?  Please help, my conscience is killing me.

don't worry about it.your conscience should be fine.its only a window on a huge house and im pretty sure the owner isn't worrying about it.if they are then they need to remember how fortunate they are to have a house like that and be able to fix window easily.if your dumb enough to have windows facing a course that are within risk of being hit then you shouldn't cry about it getting broke occasionaly.

Someone's gonna have to pay for it, whether it's you, the course, or the homeowner. Best thing to do if they were not home would have been to leave a note. And that's bare minimum.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You didn't do the right thing. My parents live on a private course. A couple of times I've seen my step-dad bean someone's house. Most in the path of errant balls have massive nets protecting them. Anyway he hit one of the million plus dollar houses, wasn't even a window just the side of it, and it made a loud bang. He rolls up gets out of his cart and heads to their front door to apologize. Their they have signs all over saying any damage is the responsibility of the golfer.

My take on it is if you can't afford to replace the windows then you shouldn't be playing on courses like that. It's not the homeowners fault you can't control your drives. There are plenty of open courses in every town.

Dave :-)

don't worry about it.your conscience should be fine.its only a window on a huge house and im pretty sure the owner isn't worrying about it.if they are then they need to remember how fortunate they are to have a house like that and be able to fix window easily.if your dumb enough to have windows facing a course that are within risk of being hit then you shouldn't cry about it getting broke occasionaly.

You should you use the quote button.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If they can afford to live in a house that luxurious, then they ought to be able to afford insurance for such damages - I can't although I will pay the deductible.  That would be the fair thing to do, but they would insist I pay for the entire cost of replacing the window.

I know I'll eventually confess and tell them I broke their window.

At least my dad has money - God bless him.

I was a 9 person jury duty where a golf ball broke a window, and a person living in the house was cut, requiring several stitches. The injured person sued the golf course, and the golfer who hit the errant shot.

After all the legalize took place we voted 9-0 in favor of the defendants, since their lawyer argued the "implied consent"  law to our satisfaction. After it was all over some of us asked the judge what he thought of our verdict. He told us he agreed with our decision.

Also the defense lawyer brought up the fact that the injured person living on the golf course had not put up any protection against errant golf balls. Other residents  in the community had erected screen fencing to protect their property. Another fact that was also brought into court testimony  was that the golf course was there two years before the homes were built.

The injured party, since he was also a golfer, on cross examination, was asked if he had ever hit a golf ball that had hit a home on the course. He replied that he had on several occasions.

• Upvote 4

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Someone's gonna have to pay for it, whether it's you, the course, or the homeowner. Best thing to do if they were not home would have been to leave a note. And that's bare minimum.

I agree.  I do not think you did the right thing.  Your conscience is even telling you so

I must further confess I put down an eight on number five despite the fact I didn't hole out (I used equitable stroke limit).  After I heard the smash, I wasn't about to hit a provisional.  I wonder what the rule book would have to say about that?  Perhaps we need a rule that should a player hit an errant shot into an expensive window, the player has two options, be honest and inform the owner of the property that one has damaged it and is more than happy to pay for it, or, run away like a coward and hope the owners don't see you.

• Upvote 1

You broke someone's property. Whether they're rich or poor is irrelevant. You should acknowledge your responsibility and offer to pay for it. Whether or not they should accept your offer is another discussion.
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I know a guy who once shanked/line-drived a ball into a road to his right.  It nailed one car, richocheted and hit another.  Both cars stopped.  One was driven by a state trooper, the other a priest.

"Witty golf quote."

You broke someone's property. Whether they're rich or poor is irrelevant. You should acknowledge your responsibility and offer to pay for it.

Whether or not they should accept your offer is another discussion.

I disagree.  If you buy a course-side house, you're taking that risk. That's why most people have netting or screens up.  I see it the same as if you accidentally injure someone (accidentally as in, not hitting into them, something like you flare one into the trees where someone from the hole on the other side has ventured, they don't hear your warning, and your ball hits and injures them).  The person who hit the shot is not liable.  Golf is classified as a "contact" sport, where you assume risk for non-negligent injury by someone else.  And not just lawyer speak, but generally, that feels right to me.  I go on the golf course and I expect respect and yells of "fore", but I realize I'm putting myself at risk and it's not everyone else's job to be a low single digit who never hits an errant, risky shot.  Seems the same buying a house right next to a fairway to me.  You're assuming the risk that your property will be damaged by errant shots by buying a house right next to a hole.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

It just occurred to me.....professional golfers must hit between spectators all the time!  Here I am worrying about a stupid window, and pros must deal with the consequence of an errant golf ball seriously injuring a spectator.  I don't know how they do it.  Thank God I'm pathetic at golf and will not need to worry about such a fate.

I know a guy who once shanked/line-drived a ball into a road to his right.  It nailed one car, richocheted and hit another.  Both cars stopped.  One was driven by a state trooper, the other a priest.

This seems more questionable to me.  It seems less reasonable to say a random driver assumes risk by driving next to a golf course.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!