IGNORED

Future Cart Girl - Any Advice?

chickenugget
Note: This thread is 3519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm going to be cart-girling at a local country club starting this weekend, and I have to confess that I don't know much (anything) about golf.

So, I was wondering, as golfers, what do you look for in a cart girl? Before you say it, I do have to wear a uniform: sleeveless red polo with a khaki squort.

Just be mindful of those playing. Try not to drive around when people are hitting their shots and move in between the shots people hit. Kind of an advance, then stop, then advance deal as you go from group to group. Something that helps you get to the most people the fastest is to go backwards around the course. For example, start on hole 18's green and work your way back to the 1st tee. This lets you reach groups faster as they are moving towards you rather than away from you. Most cart girls will sort of pause by every group to see if they want anything, and golfers will usually wave you on to the next group or ask for something. You might have to wait if they're on the green putting though (just rolling the ball versus hitting it). Just remember to have fun and don't be afraid to converse with people. Do make sure that you're not selling shots to smashed people, just as a liability, but other than that you should do fine. You'll make just as much (if not more) as a waitress would while not having to work quite as hard and getting a much prettier workplace to enjoy!
  • Upvote 4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with @Pretzel , just be mindful of the fact that most if us are out there to play golf, if we wanted to be out drinking we'd go out drinking. Try to find the balance between being readily available and non-intrusive with non-obtrusive carrying the heavier weight in the equation. Keep in mind that the golfers that expect readily available at the expense of non-intrusive aren't really golfers and will likely complain in any case, so don't worry about them.
  • Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just be mindful of those playing. Try not to drive around when people are hitting their shots and move in between the shots people hit. Kind of an advance, then stop, then advance deal as you go from group to group.

Something that helps you get to the most people the fastest is to go backwards around the course. For example, start on hole 18's green and work your way back to the 1st tee. This lets you reach groups faster as they are moving towards you rather than away from you.

Most cart girls will sort of pause by every group to see if they want anything, and golfers will usually wave you on to the next group or ask for something. You might have to wait if they're on the green putting though (just rolling the ball versus hitting it).

Just remember to have fun and don't be afraid to converse with people. Do make sure that you're not selling shots to smashed people, just as a liability, but other than that you should do fine. You'll make just as much (if not more) as a waitress would while not having to work quite as hard and getting a much prettier workplace to enjoy!

Yup, @Pretzel pretty much nailed it right here.  Be courteous of players getting ready to hit (especially if your cart is gas powered instead of electric), work backwards through the groups, be friendly, and that's about it.

Oh, and have fun.  Good luck!

Oh, and I really like the phrase "cart-girling" for some reason. :beer:

• Upvote 1

Along with the above, maintain your sense of humor.

Be yourself, and offer real smiles.

Be prepared for mostly innocent flirting and repeat "oh, that's sweet, y'all have fun out there."

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Along with the above, maintain your sense of humor.

Be yourself, and offer real smiles.

Be prepared for mostly innocent flirting and repeat "oh, that's sweet, y'all have fun out there."

A lot of good advice here.  In addition to maintaining your sense of humor, don't take their forward or even sometimes rude comments personal but if they get out of line, don't be afraid to let your manager know.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

You're at a Country Club, not some Muni so you prolly won't get too many rude fwd guys.  What others have said, just be friendly and mindful of the golfers.  One thing a girl did for us yesterday which was really great and we tipped her well was we were on the green and she had filled up 4 cups of ice and put them in our carts.

We didn't need anything at this time but she just told us that she did it and she'll see us in a few holes.  Really went over well

• Upvote 1

Make sure everyone in the group acknowledges that they do not need anything before you leave the group.

My buddies think that it is hilarious to tell every new cart girl that we are all set when I never say no to a couple of beers.

I have to run up to every new girl that we get and let them know that they should never listen to my friends.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

At my club it is expected that all staff know the members by name.

We are always address as Mr., Mrs., or Miss so and so.

I don't know how they do it but the vast majority of the staff do know each of the member's names.

Even the new staff pick it up pretty quick and I would say there are at least 500 members who play on a regular basis.

Also I am sure during your training you will find out if your Country Club has a tipping policy. At my club we have a no tipping policy. Each of the staff are tipped from a pool of money that is collected from the members thru their dues semi annually.

The advice above covers what you need to know.  Just one warning:  Some golfers will treat you like a cocktail waitress.  They'll be all flirty with their guts hanging over their bermuda shorts.  It's just part of the job, I guess.  But you'll definitely run into less of that at a private club, so it's not much to worry about.

EDIT--Now that I've read all the posts (durrrrr), I see that was covered, too.

"Witty golf quote."

I agree with what others have post....and... Make sure you carry mace.:-D
In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Just be careful of anyone getting too smashed out there, fortunately your at a private club so that will not be often if at all and try not to distract anyone when driving along and stay far enough back if players are hitting toward you, you just never know how far some people can hit it so try to be at least 250 yards or more away, 300 would probably be best.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

You will have to work very hard to control yourself when the  "innocent and flirtatious" comments from men twice your age start. You'll be counting your blessings. It'll be like being in heaven.

Here is a picture of what you can expect to see....

Can't see how you'll not be offering "real smiles"  - even to people who you've never met who expect you to know their names and wish to be addressed in an obscenely formal manner.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You will have to work very hard to control yourself when the  "innocent and flirtatious" comments from men twice your age start. You'll be counting your blessings. It'll be like being in heaven.

Here is a picture of what you can expect to see....

Can't see how you'll not be offering "real smiles"  - even to people who you've never met who expect you to know their names and wish to be addressed in an obscenely formal manner.

The one on the right looks like he's getting worked over by that little hill.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Pretty much covered by everybody...Be friendly, big smile, Be mindful of when people are hitting shots not to distract them by driving up to them are driving around etc.  stop, wait, then move on.  People are more apt to buy things in between holes rather then playing in the middle of a hole.

One of the courses I often play at has in my mind a amazingly good cart girl.  She has learned very well when to stay out of sight during shot making and when to approach.  She also knows the regulars well.  She never even approaches me as she knows that I never buy anything.  But she always catches my eye and gives me a thumbs up or down sign just in case.  I always pack a water bottle and refill on the igloo coolers full of water the course puts out.

A couple weeks ago during a really hot round this cart girl actually drove up to me while I was walking up the fairway on a par 5.  Which was very unusual.  She pulled up, apologized, then gave me a bottle of water telling me that the last two coolers were empty and being taken to the clubhouse to get refilled and she knew that I used everyone of them on a hot day walking my way around the course.

I told her the apology wasn't necessary, and I gave her a $10 for the water...which she was giving me for free.

Casual players may not care, but to better serve the serious golfer....its the art of knowing when to be seen and when not to be seen.

And just know that your going to be flirted with by men, plenty of whom can probably be old enough to be your father....or older.  It comes with the territory I suppose.  So just know going in.

In addition to some of what was posted above, please remember that "old guys" tip better. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!