IGNORED

What I hate about habitual cheaters.

BallMarker
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with this foursome once in awhile. Often this one guy is part of it. Everyone knows he has a bad habit of cheating. But we tolerate it because, generally, he is harmless and he's a "good" guy....except he cheats. . One of his favorite thing to do is to flip the ball over when it's in high grass, as if he is trying to confirm that it's his ball. In doing so he also conveniently gives himself a better lie because he doesn't put the ball back where it was, which is usually deep down in the tall grass. . He also does other common tricks like miraculously finding his ball, when we all know he couldn't have. Or he moves his ball from behind the tree saying he want to hit it from grass instead of dirt. . On this particular day I saw him on the green, as I was about to pitch on. His ball was about 30 ft from the hole. He bends down about at about 20 feet, like he's removing something from his line of putt. But instead he places his ball marker there. Then he walks over to his ball and picks it up. So, he has given himself about 10ft.. . So, after the hole, I called him on it. AND, THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT HABITUAL CHEATERS....instead of admiting it and apologizing, HE ACCUSED ME OF BEING PETTY. So, next time, if he's part of the foursome, I'm out. Especially if there's anything on it....how can you trust a guy like that? I'm usually good about letting things go, but man, too much of it become annoying as hell.
In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Never play with that guy if there is anything on it, that sort of thing will just take you out of your game and you will play worse, I have a friend I recently reacquainted with and we played a little over a month ago and I noticed much of the same thing going on, he thinks he's a much better player than what he is and others have called him out on it but of course they are all haters according to him, I know I'm much better than him but he says I might give him a run??? :blink: Anyways I have seen him take illegal drops and failing to count all his shots amongst other things and he absolutely will not concede any putt to me even if it's hanging on the lip not that I need it but it just tells me that if he ever got lucky and beat me I would have myself to blame for letting him get away with his antics and he would brag it up also. Either try to talk to this guy about the right way to play the game or just never play with him again.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I haven't been playing golf that long but that reminded me of when I played competitive pool. Whenever I played someone that cheated, didn't call shots, moved the cue ball, etc. I would eventually challenge them to play straight up, call shots,etc. Usually getting skulldrug around a pool table would shut them up pretty quickly or they would take their house stick and go away. I would do that to him. Challenge him to play nine holes by the rules. If he does you get to watch him struggle and make excuses. If he won't then maybe he will not want to play with you anymore. Either way is a win.

I only drive about 180, but I make up for by not hitting my wedges well.

You only have a limited few choices. Tell him you know what he is doing, and to stop it. Don't play with him again. Continue on with the way things are. If the rounds are not sanctioned, or personal money is not on line, how he plays is irrelevant. If the round is important for a score, then confront him with his problem.

Myself, if someone was doing something that I thought was causing my game grief, I'd make a change for the betterment of my own game.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you guys playing for money? I personally don't give a crap of what others are doing in golf course unless it is tournament or money game.

• Upvote 1

Driver:     TaylorMade Jetspeed, stiff

Fws:        Taylormade RBZ 5 wood

Hybrids:   TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 rescue 3H

Irons:      Callaway X2 Hot Pro

Wedges:  Cleveland CG16 54*/14

Ping Glide WS 58*

Putter:     TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

I actually encourage cheating/making the game easier if the person is not a very good golfer... It helps speed up the game. Playing for money? That would be different... If the person was good enough that it would matter. One guy I used to play in a skins game with, we gave him a stroke a hole and let him give himself good lies and not have to take strokes on lost balls. I think over two years, he maybe took one or two skins the entire duration.

If he's playing for money or in tournaments, call it on him or don't compete with him.

What people do that doesn't affect me, I don't care about.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

One of my closest friends is like this. for some reason golf just brings out the worst in him. We play for money all the time, not much, but still it's money. All comes down to being a bad loser. He wants the advantage every time we play, choosing partners etc.Because he is a close friend my group has decided to work on this with him. We don't just call him out, we remind him of the stroke he forgot, if he moves his ball, we move ours on the next hole, etc. He is slowly learning. I can understand any one not wanting to put up with this. I probably wouldn't put up with it if it were someone else. But this guy was my friend before we started playing golf, and has been there for me on several occasions.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

So, after the hole, I called him on it. AND, THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT HABITUAL CHEATERS....instead of admiting it and apologizing, HE ACCUSED ME OF BEING PETTY.

So, next time, if he's part of the foursome, I'm out. Especially if there's anything on it....how can you trust a guy like that? I'm usually good about letting things go, but man, too much of it become annoying as hell.

Accountability ....

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

He wasn't ready...

___

But remind the guy if you agree to the rules of the money game, you play by the rules of the money game; or don't play.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Are you guys playing for money? I personally don't give a crap of what others are doing in golf course unless it is tournament or money game.

Exactly. Unless we're playing for money I don't care what anybody else does.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

So weird. I can't imagine doing stuff like that. Even when I play alone, especially when I play alone I am critical of everything I do. Last night I hit a crap drive on 14. It clearly flew near OB so I hit a provisional. I found my ball and was close to the stakes but further up than I thought. Must have looked at it five times before determining it was about two feet past the stakes and in play. I had a terrible lie, deep weeds, trees in front of me really not much I could do but punch it and hope. I hit on the green to about 12 feet and had a shot at birdie, which I missed but making that recovery was the most gratifying shot of the day. He is missing out. Golf isn't about perfect and easy but overcoming adversity andstaring challenges in the face. I love that about golf.
  • Upvote 2

Dave :-)

There's nothing wrong with not following the rules of golf as long as you are not playing for score or money.   The money thing is obvious but it's also lame to brag about shooting an 80 or something if you cheated to do it.  I do know a few guys who will tell you straight face that they can break 90 but, in reality, they couldn't break 100 without cheating.

There's nothing wrong with not following the rules of golf as long as you are not playing for score or money.   The money thing is obvious but it's also lame to brag about shooting an 80 or something if you cheated to do it...

I totally agree.

I usually don't care even if we had something on the line.

Three year of his crap....Enough is enough .....and the gall to say I'm petty for calling him out.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

On this particular day I saw him on the green, as I was about to pitch on. His ball was about 30 ft from the hole. He bends down about at about 20 feet, like he's removing something from his line of putt. But instead he places his ball marker there. Then he walks over to his ball and picks it up. So, he has given himself about 10ft..

If I saw that, I'm pretty sure I would have said, "hey! you dropped your ball marker!"  Also, I would stand over him when he picked his ball out of deep rough and then gave himself a fluffy lie.  Then tell him, "you have to put your ball back where it was.  You can't improve your lie."

If I'm playing for money with a cheater, I keep the score.  If he tells me he bogied a hole, I'll say "let's review. Drive into the rough, two in the bunker, left it in the bunker, four on and two putts.  Sorry, you must have forgot that failed bunker shot."  You have to call these guys out. After a couple of holes, they will get the message and either not play with you ever again, or (less likely) start playing by the rules.

Occam's razor

i have called people out on these exact things! when i first started golfing with friends i wasn't very good and they gave me "favorable" drops just to speed things up. i couldn't compete against them anyways and never thought my score was worth bragging about. but once i decided to really try and see how well i can play for my own personal reasons i decided to not take mulligans or improper drops (stuff like that) and i still asked about the rules. but when i had a rule called on me and then later that round watched the guy that called me on that particular rule do the opposite of what he said to me i said why did i have to do it one way and you got to play it another way. once they don't have an answer for you right away, you know they're cheating. granted in some cases there is certain rules that allow for different playable options given the situation. this was not one of them.

once in a while i golf with my father-in-law. he likes to improve his lie, lift clean and place, lift out of a divot and things like that...however he also tells me to lift clean and place, remove my ball from the divot and improve my lie. so for as much as he may be "cheating" the rules as far as a true score goes he doesn't keep a handicap and he wants his opponent to play the same way. i choose not to just cause i am more curious to see how well i can play given the shots i actually took but i get where hes coming from. he just wants a fun semi quick round of golf

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I totally agree.

I usually don't care even if we had something on the line.

Three year of his crap....Enough is enough .....and the gall to say I'm petty for calling him out.

He knows what he's doing. And he likely got embarrassed by you calling him out, so he lashed back to protect his ego.

Don't get me wrong - I feel you did nothing wrong. That's just how people who know they're guilty react. I mean, it's very unlikely he would agree with you, do a mea culpa & promise never to do it again.

The really annoying thing about it is the rules people are usually breaking are the simple ones, count your strokes, play it where it lies, take the correct penalty for a lost or OB ball, I know there are plenty more rules but those seem to be the most abused, if I had to pick one that gets abused the most it's the lost ball penalty, if they decide to take a penalty it will be something resembling a lateral hazard penalty and god forbid you bring it up, I did that to my friend recently and he shot back " so that's how you want to play it huh?" I just responded "Well I thought that's how we are supposed to play the game unless you want to play some other game then lets hear it", he just kept on "okay okay we'll see how well you like it from now on" I just returned " I like it just fine since that's what I'm used to it just  seems to be more of a change for you" we have not played together for some time and I'm okay with it now.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I don't think it's ignorance regarding rules but a willingness to do whatever to claim as low a score as possible. It becomes a habit for some, a crutch, they feel they can't score "well" without doing it. I've seen guys roll and move balls to avoid taking their medicine and hacking out or whatever. I've never done any of the examples in this thread but at some point I learned a bad shot or bad hole here and there doesn't matter and there is no guaranty taking the easy way out will lead to something better. I've made a mess of a shot here and there and made par and wasn't able to capitalize on good shots before making bogey of worse. You never know. The only thing these people do is cheat themselves out of opportunities to enjoy golf as it was meant to be played.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!