IGNORED

SLDR, Bio Cell, Covert 2.0, and G30

Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I hit these four drivers today on a launch monitor today. These are the average numbers I got with each club. I had about 112 club head speed on all four

Taylormade SLDR 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 261

Total Distance - 279

Spin Rate - 2760

Cobra Bio Cell 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 268

Total Distance - 285

Spin Rate - 2890

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 262

Total Distance - 274

Spin Rate - 2970

Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 264

Total Distance - 281

Spin Rate - 2850

The SLDR felt awkwardly heavy. I mean the weight felt like it was all in the head and it didn't feel right.

The Bio Cell felt solid and awesome. Even on slightly off center hits, the distance only trailed off a couple yards and still felt good

The Covert 2.0 felt good, I just couldn't get the driver to go as far or as consistent as the rest

The G30 was good in the numbers, but I didn't like the sound or the feel that much. Also it looked weird with the turbulators on top.

It looks like im going to go with the Cobra Bio Cell. It got the best all-around numbers and felt the best.

Any questions, comment, concerns etc. let me know!

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell 9.5 Stiff

3-Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Stiff

3-Hybrid: Adams A3 Boxer 19 Stiff

Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4-PW Stiff

50 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB

54 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

58 Wedge: Cleveland CG14

Putter: Odyssey White Ice #9

I know that there are a few here that have the Bio Cell + and really like it. I'm sure you'll love the new club.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know that there are a few here that have the Bio Cell + and really like it. I'm sure you'll love the new club.

Our review

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/cobra_bio_cell_driver_review

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Our review

http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/cobra_bio_cell_driver_review

The thing that struck me in that review was saying that the 440cc head makes it lower spinning. The SLDR is supposed to be the lowest spinning driver on the market and look at the minimal difference I had between it and the other drivers. Im not sure I would get any less spin with the plus than with the regular. Even with that being said, I will hit it as soon as I get the chance and make a better assumption.

So I hit these four drivers today on a launch monitor today. These are the average numbers I got with each club. I had about 112 club head speed on all four

Taylormade SLDR 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 261

Total Distance - 279

Spin Rate - 2760

Cobra Bio Cell 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 268

Total Distance - 285

Spin Rate - 2890

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 262

Total Distance - 274

Spin Rate - 2970

Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Carry Distance - 264

Total Distance - 281

Spin Rate - 2850

It looks like im going to go with the Cobra Bio Cell. It got the best all-around numbers and felt the best.

Any questions, comment, concerns etc. let me know!

Did you get fitted, or did you just assume the stiff shaft in what ever they offer for the club worked for you?

Also, you probably want to learn to hit up on the ball. With your swing speed, I think you are loosing distance. You have a 4.5 handicap, so your strike should be pretty solid, 1.45 smash and above. So your ball speed should be 160+ mph.

At 160 ball speed, which should be in your range. If you get a vertical launch of 15 degrees, and a backspin in the low 2000, you should be carrying 275-280 yards

I would look into getting fit with a different shaft, and look into hitting up on the ball more. BOOM IT!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I hate when I loose distance :-P

I was actually going to comment that those spin rates were awfully high, like 1k higher than I'd expect for a well fit driver.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I hate when I loose distance

I was actually going to comment that those spin rates were awfully high, like 1k higher than I'd expect for a well fit driver.

With hitting up and a properly fitted driver, the range for spin should be in the 1700-2200 range, give or take human error.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

With hitting up and a properly fitted driver, the range for spin should be in the 1700-2200 range, give or take human error.

Yeah, when I did my fitting the bio cell plus gave me 1700's spin consistently with a slightly higher launch angle of 17*.... I could probably get that launch angle down a bit. That's why I was thinking his spin numbers were abnormally high. I would have liked to see his launch angle also. I mean he's got about 7 mph swing speed on me and only 10 yards of carry, which doesn't seem right.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yeah, when I did my fitting the bio cell plus gave me 1700's spin consistently with a slightly higher launch angle of 17*.... I could probably get that launch angle down a bit. That's why I was thinking his spin numbers were abnormally high. I would have liked to see his launch angle also. I mean he's got about 7 mph swing speed on me and only 10 yards of carry, which doesn't seem right.

I would question his clubhead speed, depending on the launch monitor he uses. Most places can only pick up ball speed, spin, launch angles. A lot of them just calculate club head speed based on quality of strike. Which is taking all other information we can guess what the smash factor is.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I would question his clubhead speed, depending on the launch monitor he uses. Most places can only pick up ball speed, spin, launch angles. A lot of them just calculate club head speed based on quality of strike. Which is taking all other information we can guess what the smash factor is.

I wondered about the accuracy of the swing speed information. The fitting I did started with the ping device that attached to my driver shaft and that gave a reading of 109, but the flightscope showed around 105. I figured the flightscope was more accurate.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I don't know how well the simulator I used was calibrated. I wasn't too concerned with the numbers compared to what they should be or what I normally get I was more concerned with how they compared to each other. So based on the numbers among those four drivers, I had to say the Bio Cell was my favorite. If I had been on a better launch monitor I think the numbers would have been more accurate. So, like I said, I wasn't worried about the spin or carry distance compared to what I normally get, but compared across the clubs I hit on that launch monitor, that time.

Did you try the bio cell +?

I did not and have not hit the Bio Cell +. Its definitely at the top of my list to hit though. I was thoroughly impressed with the Bio Cell so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Bio Cell + will and can do. My local shop didn't have one for me to hit so I might have to drive a little farther or wait a little longer to get my hands on one.

Based on your signature I think you are pre disposed to Cobra. For a 4 handicap you should be able to hit any of them. I have the G25 and get great results. I might try and get on a better monitor. If the spin is off the rest probably is also. Knowing the launch, spin and distance is important. It will help you select the loft and shaft at least. Good luck!

I'd also look at the reasons for that higher spin.

Could be angle of attack, stock shaft, or a combo of both.

When you get to 2 that are close, look at dispersion.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've always been one to get a lot of spin from all of my clubs. I don't exactly know why. I thinks its a combination of angle of attack, and dynamic loft at impact. I hit these four stock off the rack. If I had gotten fitted for them, I probably would have had better numbers

You're hitting it VERY SHORT considering the 112 clubhead speed.  I'd test different shaft and loft combinations.    surely if you try different combinations, you'll find a setup that will fit your swing better.   It seems you're losing a ton of yardage unnecessarily.

My 2 cents..

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!