IGNORED

Robin Williams Dead of Suicide at 63

iacas
Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From some of these comments, I am guessing that some of you have never suffered from great depression.  It is a terrible illness. Many brave, intelligent people have had their lives destroyed by it. Either he was not on meds, did not take his meds, or they could not find a pharmaceutical cocktail that worked for him. I guess that he suffered from depression his entire life. Can you imagine the roller coaster ride of Robin Williams? Lots of suffering took place during his life ... highs and lows.

I have not, so pardon the ignorance on my part.

Riley

I have not, so pardon the ignorance on my part.

You ... are lucky.

The weird part about it is that when depressed people fall back into depression, they don't even realize it.

Maybe that helps one understand the deviousness of that disease. You don't even recognize it when you fall back into that hole.

It takes great discipline, analysis, and a great understanding and observation of yourself and actions, to recognize it.

I don't think many people can do it. Perhaps only the ones who do not suffer so heavily from it and do the hard work to understand themselves. Even then, it's not easy. I've tried to help others recognize it, and it's one of those diseases that is difficult to confront.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You ... are lucky. The weird part about it is that when depressed people fall back into depression, they don't even realize it. Maybe that helps one understand the deviousness of that disease. You don't even recognize it when you fall back into that hole.

Well...still got about 60 more years...that sucks..

Riley

What Dreams May Come (1998) is absolutely tragic now in retrospect. Robin Williams' character, after his own tragic death, finds out his wife wasn't allowed into heaven because she committed suicide in life. So he descends into hell to find and save her. Here's part of the scene where he finally finds her. Unbelievable.

I'll always miss you and be thankful for the joy you gave me, Robin.

Constantine

What Dreams May Come (1998) is absolutely tragic now in retrospect. Robin Williams' character, after his own tragic death, finds out his wife wasn't allowed into heaven because she committed suicide in life. So he descends into hell to find and save her. Here's part of the scene where he finally finds her. Unbelievable.

:-( :-( :cry:

Riley

It's getting a little dour in here. Let's laugh with Robin with one of his classics:

Unsuitable language

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just a few good scenes from Robin's career:

Hook (1991)

The Birdcage (1996)

The Birdcage (1996)

Dead Poet Society (1989)

The Fisher King (1991)

Hook(1991)

Hook (1991)

Good Will Hunting (1997)

The World According to Garp (1982)

Constantine

I don't understand suicide either. I've never dealt with depression myself, but I can't imagine being in a place where the end looks better than the future. Such a sad loss in a time where we need to smile and laugh more.

- Shane

My wife and I knew Brad Delp of the band Boston very well.  He was a close friend of a good friend of ours.  It is very difficult to have this happen to someone you know.  Your emotions range from deep sadness to anger to even guilt.

This is very sad too.  Mental illness is a completely understudied disease.  It is best to remember the good and not dwell on the bad.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sad that a man who brought so much laughter to the world suffered from depression.

One of the great actors of our time. :~(

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Looks like Robin was relapsing back into drinking again, in 2006 he went back into rehab after 20 years of sobriety.

More on his battle with Alcohol back in 2006,

Quote:
“There was still, in the background, this voice, like, ‘Psst,’ ” he told the newspaper. “So when I relapsed, I went back hard. The one thing I hadn’t dealt with was, how honest do you want to live?”

Once again, it was his son, Zak, who was an integral part of Williams’s decision to get sober. Without going into detail, the younger Williams told The Times of his father’s rehab stint, “There was an ultimatum attached to it. I’m pretty confident that if he continued drinking, he would not be alive today.”

Williams checked himself into Oregon’s Hazelden Springbrook treatment center in August 2006; after two months of treatment, he recalled his battle to get sober.

Robin later did an interview and he is quoted this about the struggle with alcohol,

Quote:

"It's the same voice thought that… you're standing at a precipice and you look down, there's a voice and it's a little quiet voice that goes, 'Jump,'" Williams told Diane Sawyer. "The same voice that goes, 'Just one.' … And the idea of just one for someone who has no tolerance for it, that's not the possibility."

When asked why he relapsed, Robin answered: "It's [addiction] — not caused by anything, it's just there… It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'It's fine now, I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK. Then you realize, 'Where am I? I didn't realize I was in Cleveland.'"

Not sure if this is the reason he committed suicide. I have no clue the struggles of a relapsing alcoholic and drug addict. Maybe to the point that it might cause depression if he felt no escape from it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My wife and I knew Brad Delp of the band Boston very well.  He was a close friend of a good friend of ours.  It is very difficult to have this happen to someone you know.  Your emotions range from deep sadness to anger to even guilt.   This is very sad too.  Mental illness is a completely understudied disease.  It is best to remember the good and not dwell on the bad.

Our friends son did last spring. We had just spoke to him in January and he told us school was awesome and was excited about his summer intern. He was a well grounded kid. It caught us all off guard.

- Shane

From Good Morning Vietnam -

Master Sergeant, pointing at his stripes: "Three up and three down. Do you know what that means?"

Cronauer (Robin Williams): "End of an inning?"

Did anybody watch his HBO comedy special, I think 3-4 years ago?? The wife and I were in splits for couple of days. Good Will Hunting and Mrs. Doubtfire - in my personal top 10 of all time.

I thought he had a genuinely high level perspective and thought process. Lot of folks who suffer from that the level of depression get beaten by it into becoming small, bitter and broken and give in a lot sooner - it is that powerful and horrible (wife and I have a very close perspective). I thought he fought courageously through humor and creativity for a very long time and kept it a-bay. Actually takes a very strong willed person. We all benefitted from his process.

Loved all you did, applaud your courage. RIP.

Vishal S.

I like a few other here dont understand depression or suicide. Im in NO WAY saying depression isnt a real thing becasue it is. But suicide ESPECIALLY when you leave behind children to me is the cowardly and selfish way out. I have no idea what he was going through and frankly it's none of my business it just sucks that his 25 year old daughter has to live the rest of her life wondering why she wasnt good enough.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I don't know if this is true or just urban legend, but I heard somewhere that the vast majority of the "on air" scenes in Good Morning Vietnam were unscripted improv and mostly first takes. Incredible talent.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I like a few other here dont understand depression or suicide. Im in NO WAY saying depression isnt a real thing becasue it is. But suicide ESPECIALLY when you leave behind children to me is the cowardly and selfish way out. I have no idea what he was going through and frankly it's none of my business it just sucks that his 25 year old daughter has to live the rest of her life wondering why she wasnt good enough.

Its not cowardly, and its not selfish. Depression turns you inside out. You can't think, or breathe, and some days it just seems easier to end it all. Trust me.

• Upvote 4

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Its not cowardly, and its not selfish. Depression turns you inside out. You can't think, or breathe, and some days it just seems easier to end it all. Trust me.

You get no argument back from me, Im lucky enough to not have any experience with this. May GOD Bless all who are dealing with depression. Maybe this death will shine a light and put some focus on depression.

• Upvote 1

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!