IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

@RandallT I would just delete the first shot and ad a 2 stroke penalty to the drop zone shot.

Come to think of it, one of the courses I play regularly has a drop zone and I didn't heed my own advice above the few times I dropped. Guess I'll edit my rounds.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 8.08.24 PM.png

Shot 1 is a total chunk into the water with an 8-iron.

Take penalty.

Drop from the designated drop zone for Shot 3 (way over there to the left of the green).

Here's my issue: the 8-iron shows up as a 185yd shot, when it was really just totally fatted into the water, maybe about 75yds. It shows up like that in the hole description below. Plus in the insights area: Off the Tee indicates a 185yd 8-iron, my approaches area shows a 185yd shot that was wide left (really it was straight and short), etc.

Two things…

• The 185-yard 8-iron would not substantially affect anything. GG will treat it as an aberration. It won't mess up your stats that much - you probably have some aberrations the other way to help it self-correct.
  • You could just move it to your normal 8-iron distance, even if it's not actually where the ball drop was. If you hit your 8I 145, move it so it shows it as going 145, and the second (third) shot was the right distance. Or at least get close to it. Maybe just over the water on that line?

Generally speaking, though, don't worry about things like this. If they don't happen often, they won't really impact anything.

14 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I had this problem a couple times...what I did was create a "dummy club" and use it for the penalty shot.  So, I'd actually move the 8-iron to where it actually landed, then create a "shot" with the dummy club from that spot over to the drop area.

I haven't logged enough rounds to know whether this works well for stats and such, but it was the best solution I could come up with to avoid "false data".

I wouldn't do that - you should be tagging the right clubs as having a penalty associated with them.

13 hours ago, RandallT said:

Ha! Great catch. It did feel awkward to play from there, but I couldn't pinpoint why. 

This is the true solution:

• Tag your 8I from the tee as going a yard or something, PLUS a penalty stroke.
  • Tag an 8I again and play it from where you play your second (third) shot: on the tee or dropping behind the hazard.

In other words, play under the Rules of Golf and your GAME GOLF stats will also be better. :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wouldn't do that - you should be tagging the right clubs as having a penalty associated with them.

Does GG use the penalty stroke info anywhere in its number-crunching, and track it by specific club like that? (I'm sure the the info is in their system, but is it used--or might it be used in the future?)

In a case like this, if we choose the stroke and distance option, is it better for the GG stats to tag 8 iron twice with 1-stroke penalty, or to tag 8 iron once with 2-stroke penalty? Or will it get treated the same?  I ask because this would be a stroke and distance scenario if we re-tee, similar to hitting OB, and GG sugests deleting the first stroke and taking 2 strokes: 

If you hit a ball out of bounds (OB) you should tag your second shot from the tee. You can then add the penalty strokes for that OB shot in the round edit after uploading your round to your profile. It is suggested to delete the initially tagged shot that went OB in the round edit and adding the +2 to your second tee shot. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I just don't tag the second shot from the tee if using the same club, it's already recorded and you are standing in the same spot. Yank it OB you're hitting 3 from the tee, +2 added in GG edit to the 1st shot hit OB already tagged.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

I just don't tag the second shot from the tee if using the same club, it's already recorded and you are standing in the same spot. Yank it OB you're hitting 3 from the tee, +2 added in GG edit to the 1st shot hit OB already tagged.

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

This is the true solution:

• Tag your 8I from the tee as going a yard or something, PLUS a penalty stroke.
  • Tag an 8I again and play it from where you play your second (third) shot: on the tee or dropping behind the hazard.

Yeah, I guess it does mess up the connection between the club and the penalty...but it makes all the distances accurate.  I use the "fake" club AS my penalty stroke, whenever that penalty requires playing the ball from a (substantially) different place than the previous shot landed.

For example, if I hit a 200-yard shot that doesn't clear a hazard, I'll use the "fake" club to back the ball up so all of my distances are "real". 

I guess it doesn't matter enough since those outliers are discarded anyway...ill probably switch away from that method.

- John

I have a bunch of odd shots in my stats from hitting into hazards. With enough rounds posted it doesn't matter. I know from my FlightScope use that my GG Club Performance numbers are pretty close, it's taking more from the shots bunched in the middle than the unusual shots. We see this from what's between the red dots.

My wedge averages are funny. I can hit my 54 much longer than my GG average but I use it more around the greens so it is what it is. I suppose they could add a drop down to identify partial shots and exclude them from the averages for clubs like wedges if people really wanted to know what that number is. I know how far I hit my wedges with a full swing.

The Club Performance for me is a way to get a real world number I can count on when planning shots. There is more to consider than my GG average but I know good, bad and ugly that's a number I can use. If I am 145 out the thought isn't GG tells me I average 142 so it's an automatic 9 iron or whatever. I know that I miss short often than not so if there is room to accommodate a perfect shot I choose a longer club knowing either way it's going to get there. My long miss % is small.

53 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I use the "fake" club AS my penalty stroke, whenever that penalty requires playing the ball from a (substantially) different place than the previous shot landed.

Yes, that's what I thought was genius. 

But yah, I agree, the impact is minor since GG does a decent job handling anomalies.

I think GG might think through a better way to handle "discontinuous" ball movement. They mostly handle the ideal situation of the ball going from tee to hole, without any hyper-spacing from one point to another. But when we drop, the ball could hyper-space from where it came to rest to the point where we will play from next. Maybe not a priority for them, but it does lead to confusion/work-arounds.

Similar to a "Add Penalty" button, I'd think they could put an "Add Drop" button that breaks the connection with where the previous shot landed.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The only way any of that would be useful is if they develop HBH analysis. It has no effect on the club averages. If I could look at hole 13 at my home course and see how many penalties and how it happened, when I had to use the DZ or whatever then yeah I'd want to know specifics.

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

I think GG might think through a better way to handle "discontinuous" ball movement. They mostly handle the ideal situation of the ball going from tee to hole, without any hyper-spacing from one point to another. But when we drop, the ball could hyper-space from where it came to rest to the point where we will play from next. Maybe not a priority for them, but it does lead to confusion/work-arounds.

Yeah, agreed.  That's why I came up with my "fake club" idea...admittedly, it messes up my penalty shot stats, but at least every shot recorded with a real club represents an actual shot, with the correct distance.  Probably doesn't matter for anything in the long run, but I tend to be compulsive about such things, especially involving data or statistics.

Honestly, putting aside my own preference, I don't think it's something GG should implement - seems like it'd be more likely to mess things up, and would only serve the 5% of users who it bothers.

Side note: I'm going to start referring to drops as "hyper-spacing".  "Hey, my ball is on the cart path, so I'm going to hyper-space to the nearest point of relief."

1 hour ago, Dave2512 said:

The only way any of that would be useful is if they develop HBH analysis. It has no effect on the club averages. If I could look at hole 13 at my home course and see how many penalties and how it happened, when I had to use the DZ or whatever then yeah I'd want to know specifics.

That would actually be interesting to be able to see...it would also be a compelling reason to move away from my "fake club" method.

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Yeah, this makes perfect sense, and wouldn't matter for the stats, but it just bothers me.  I took two driver swings...one went WAY left and landed somewhere OB...I want that recorded.  I would literally input a driver swing that went way left and ___ yards, then use my "fake" club to bring it back to the tee, representing the penalty.  Again, I recognize this is just my own weirdness...I'm probably forcing the tool to be something it's not.

- John

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Yeah, this makes perfect sense, and wouldn't matter for the stats, but it just bothers me.  I took two driver swings...one went WAY left and landed somewhere OB...I want that recorded.  I would literally input a driver swing that went way left and ___ yards, then use my "fake" club to bring it back to the tee, representing the penalty.  Again, I recognize this is just my own weirdness...I'm probably forcing the tool to be something it's not.

As I mentioned all of that would be nice for HBH analysis. In the current state knowing how far and what direction we hit balls OB doesn't do much because we don't tag the following shot from that location. For example I often find OB left from the tee on our hole 6. I know the remedy, don't miss it left.

But if I knew what my scoring average was for just that hole relative to club performance and other factors I may learn to play it differently. Could be that even with the chance I'll hit it OB with driver it's still the smart play. I do make par and the occasional birdie there but I make a lot of doubles too. Playing it safe not using driver pretty much ensures I can do no better than bogey. But I have no clear idea which is the better choice.

23 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Side note: I'm going to start referring to drops as "hyper-spacing".  "Hey, my ball is on the cart path, so I'm going to hyper-space to the nearest point of relief."

I believe that is part of the USGA top to bottom review coming up. Gotta keep the game modern.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 2 months later...

Strange problem today...apparently GG has two names for the course I played, so it switched back and forth, creating 5 separate rounds (the unit wasn't powered on/off).

I e-mailed support, and hopefully they can combine into a single round.

Capture.JPG

- John

33 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Strange problem today...apparently GG has two names for the course I played, so it switched back and forth, creating 5 separate rounds (the unit wasn't powered on/off).

I e-mailed support, and hopefully they can combine into a single round.

Capture.JPG

I had the same thing happen when I played a course I had never been to before. Took them a day or two, but they fixed it just fine:-)

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I had the same thing happen when I played a course I had never been to before. Took them a day or two, but they fixed it just fine ?

Good. It was an odd round for me (terrible off the tee, but made a few great short game shots and SIX one-putts) so I want to see how the stats shook out.

- John

As someone who has a new driver in the mail, how do you handle it? Do you simply switch the tag to the new driver while changing the name? Does that mean though you lose the stats the old driver had? Or should I simply use another spare tag?

17 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

As someone who has a new driver in the mail, how do you handle it? Do you simply switch the tag to the new driver while changing the name? Does that mean though you lose the stats the old driver had? Or should I simply use another spare tag?

Go online and create a new club (manufacturer and model). Then reassign the "D" tag to it.

Then, switch the actual tag to the new club. 

The stats will stay separate.

If you are planning on switching back and forth between drivers a lot, you might want to use a spare tag, but the above method is better if you are switching to the new driver permanently.

- John

45 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Go online and create a new club (manufacturer and model). Then reassign the "D" tag to it.

Then, switch the actual tag to the new club. 

The stats will stay separate.

If you are planning on switching back and forth between drivers a lot, you might want to use a spare tag, but the above method is better if you are switching to the new driver permanently.

Thank you, I was worried switching the D tag might erase the old stats of the old. This really helped!