IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

As they say, "shit happens" lol
Well, now you have something on your list for B-Day or Father's Day
Or maybe Santa will bring you a new one. 
Sometimes X-mas comes early...  :whistle:

Nope. I'm done. Maybe I can make a few  bucks selling the tags on eBay. 

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Oy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...

Just curious to see who uses Game Golf to track there game and your opinions on it? I have just bought it and find it extremely insightful and useful. I'm wondering why a lot more people don't use it, its cheaper than a decent putter and helps you more than anyone club would. IMO :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

From what I can tell most of you have the physical unit. Thoughts on the app?

It works fine but can be a bit tedious. Some use it as a yardage GPS thingy, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

As a stand-alone app (without the Live belt unit), I wouldn't have stuck with it--too much messing with it on the course.  As an iPhone golf app, there are better (IMO) apps out there.

As an app working with the Live belt unit, I find it nice to: (1) adjust pin and putting positions on the course; and (2) upload the round right as I finish the 18th hole instead of plugging into the computer at home.

For me, the importance of the app (alone) was in playing two or three 9-hole rounds and seeing how the information that results would be useful. And recognizing that the belt unit would make it a lot simpler.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

I tried the app, it slows me down. Even if my belt unit runs out of battery (because I'm a dummy and didn't charge it), I don't use it. I'd rather just remember my shots and add in everything at home. I never got the hang of using the app and I don't like it enough to learn it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I downloaded the app but I can't figure out how to add a round after the fact. I have followed the online tutorials but I have never gotten past adding my first tee shot.

I use another app called Golf stat keeper and it's way simpler bit doesn't have all the stats Game Golf does. Guess I'll have to buy the unit.

Seems like the app should run similarly to the device but it doesn't at all. Plus my phone is too big and I don't like it on me when I am playing. I'll stick to the device even though I forget the thing sometimes. I do wish you could turn on the app and the swing recognition would auto record your swing.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 1 month later...

Hey guys... just got Game Golf last week and I'm trying to get set up.  Any pointers or wisdom anyone can share with the system would be great.  I've used it twice and have had a couple issues so far.  First, I consistently forget to tag a shot and a few times had to run back to my previous spot.... luckily it was a slow day on the course and no one was behind us... just distracting.  The biggest challenge was on putts as I would hardly ever record a tap in.  I would just go to the next hole and then some of the shots would be recorded on the previous hole.  It was a mess trying to edit some of the shots and on a couple holes I just had to recreate them from memory. 

Also, on putting.  Is everyone stepping of the distance of their putts and then entering in the distance later?  or registering the putts and putting in the hole location later.  I tried editing the putts on my phone but it's hard to get the right distance... are most people doing on a computer later? 

Finally, are you looking at each hole after you finish it to make sure it is correct and then hitting the next button to the next hole.  I was hoping to not have to be managing my phone the entire round.  I would also like to use my phone for other things during the round... like music.  Will the device work without the app open on the phone?  As it was my phone was dead after about 14 holes on Saturday... but I had a charger. 

Like I said, any best practices would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

• Administrator

@todgot, I'll try to answer your questions… and then will move your post and my reply to the better topic for this.

1. If you play from a tee box, it should end the hole and put you as starting on the next hole.
  2. I don't use my phone. I edit on the computer after the round is over. The phone is a bigger pain than quickly editing later.
  3. I just know how far putts are. I step some off, but I edit all of those - and hole locations - after the round.
  4. I tag for tap-ins.
  5. If I forget to tag, I just tag the club where I am at the time, and then add it later. Sometimes the GG will "detect a shot" and I'll just delete the extra and specify the club for the "detected" shot. Sometimes it forgets, and I just have to move the "dot" to the right location.
  6. I don't use the phone, so I don't look at anything until I'm on the computer.
  7. Uhhhh… did I answer everything?

2 hours ago, todgot said:

Also, on putting.  Is everyone stepping of the distance of their putts and then entering in the distance later?  or registering the putts and putting in the hole location later.  I tried editing the putts on my phone but it's hard to get the right distance... are most people doing on a computer later? 

I also only edit on the computer.  It's much easier, and it takes me literally 3 minutes a round.

One item of note...Strokes Gained Putting is a "zero-sum" game...so, I really only worry about the distance of my first putt.  If you get that right, your stats for short game and putting are going to be OK.  I don't stress about whether my second putt was from 7 feet or 4 feet or whatever.

- John

• 3 weeks later...

Just asking in the GG thread......has anyone ever looked at their Insights page and looked at the Scoring tab for different par holes? Do you think someone should have better or lower averages depending on par 3/4/5?

5 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Do you think someone should have better or lower averages depending on par 3/4/5?

I keep personal stats for myself and the par 5 are the easiest for me, with the par 3 second and last, the par 4s.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

5 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Just asking in the GG thread......has anyone ever looked at their Insights page and looked at the Scoring tab for different par holes? Do you think someone should have better or lower averages depending on par 3/4/5?

I believe that higher handicap players tend to score better overall on par 3s and worse on par 5s, with the reverse being true for better players.

My own splits for the last 20 rounds (from lowest to highest) go 3/5/4, but it's a 0.1 stroke difference between categories.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered one of these.  Should be interesting to see if it gives me new insight on what I need to work on.  Shame that all the big name pro's aren't using it ... seems they just did a token few rounds and then bailed.

Bruce

Getting this thing tomorrow and had a question and comment or two.  Wish they had some sort of "practice mode".  I hit short shots in a field at a public park and it would be great if I could use it for these shots.  Guess I just wanna play with the new toy and won't be able to get to the course until the weekend.   

From what I can tell, it records the current shot when you tag the next club.  But this doesn't seem right.  Guess the question is what is the trigger to tell GG that your done.  Hmm, guessing that when you get to the green it knows to move onto the next hole and if you don't do any more tagging then you've holed out.

The GG Live version shows the GG stuff and smart phone stuff (and apple watch?) in there advertising.  Assume that the "live" version just means that it's compatible with and will interface with "your" smart devices and there's nothing GG sells.

Bruce