IGNORED

Golf ball advice

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New here. I'm sure this has been covered but it's my biggest question. I crush my drivers. People oh and ah and the big flight, but I'm going out of bounds too often. Looking for a ball the doesn't spin off the driver Don't care about how far it goes Would like soft feel around the greens I tried reading manufacturers descriptions but they make every ball sound like the right one. ProV1's do horrible for me off the tee. I played Srixon soft feel and they stayed straight but I have fast swing speed (115) and those balls are for beginners. For what it's worth, I've golfer my whole life, but only a fee times per year the last decade. I'm now fully back into it and having a blast. Just need to keep the ball on the course. I've hit houses.

Here you go. http://www.polaragolf.com/

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

That seems like a hacker ball, but I'll still try it. 80% of my drives are straight. I found that my miss hits stayed on the course with that Soft Feel ball but traveled out of bounds with other balls. Looking for a higher end ball that does the same off the driver. Anyone know why I can't edit all the typos in my post???? I'm on iPhone and it hard to see with the small text box Sandtrap mobile uses.

There are a number of good balls that could fill you requirements including the Gamer Soft and Tour, Maxfli U/3, and NXT Tour. I like the green holding ability of the TM Project (a) and will play it on certain courses, but I do occasionally lose one off the driver while the above 3 balls typically keep me in play for similar mis-hits.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here you go.

http://www.polaragolf.com/

If you are going to point him there you should at least tell him that those balls are not legal under the rules.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not sure it's worth the trouble. 80% reasonably straight drives is 11/14 FIR. If I was struggling on certain holes or even if I had random errant shots I'd look for a way to fix whatever the flaw was causing it. It's a rare day I hit 80% of my drives well. My guess is you are trying to kill it and losing control.

Dave :-)

I suggest finding a local course that is hosting a ball fitting from one of the major manufacturers.  The manufacturer will have their entire line of balls along with a launch monitor and reps.  If you look on Bridgestone golfs web page they list the tour of courses all over the country of where they will be.  I have done this twice at two different courses it was free, not sure if every course is like this but you can always call the pro shop ahead of time.  It was very informative and helpful and there was no pressure from the rep trying to get you to buy their product they were just there to help you find what works for you.  They already know you're a golfer and suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) so if find the one you will buy it.  :)

Chris

Quote:
Not sure it's worth the trouble. 80% reasonably straight drives is 11/14 FIR. If I was struggling on certain holes or even if I had random errant shots I'd look for a way to fix whatever the flaw was causing it. It's a rare day I hit 80% of my drives well. My guess is you are trying to kill it and losing control."

Appreciate all the replies.  I wish I could edit my post to better clarify.  Not sure what's up with that!  (inability to edit).

You're right that there are surely some flaws causing some balls to spray.  My problem is I'm just as likely to rip down the middle as I am to go right or left.  Everything is occurring: draws, fades, pulls, push, slice, straight, hooks.  More often than not, I'm near the fairway.

What I'm looking for is more of what I found playing Srixon Soft.  It was like there was a parachute on the ball.  Big misses were staying in play.  Maybe that's my perfect ball, was just wondering if there was something better out there.  My dad pointed-out that I can spare distance, if it's a trade-off, I'm looking for a more forgiving ball.  I know for a fact that Srixon soft keeps an errant shot on the course better than ProV1.

Bridgestone e6 is a distance ball made for less spin.

In the meantime, I'd work with someone to find consistency.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Here you go.

http://www.polaragolf.com/

Ha! I found one of these that had been sliced out of bounce.... :-$

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Appreciate all the replies.  I wish I could edit my post to better clarify.  Not sure what's up with that!  (inability to edit).

You're right that there are surely some flaws causing some balls to spray.  My problem is I'm just as likely to rip down the middle as I am to go right or left.  Everything is occurring: draws, fades, pulls, push, slice, straight, hooks.  More often than not, I'm near the fairway.

What I'm looking for is more of what I found playing Srixon Soft.  It was like there was a parachute on the ball.  Big misses were staying in play.  Maybe that's my perfect ball, was just wondering if there was something better out there.  My dad pointed-out that I can spare distance, if it's a trade-off, I'm looking for a more forgiving ball.  I know for a fact that Srixon soft keeps an errant shot on the course better than ProV1.

I like the Titleist Velocity if my tee shots are getting away from me. I find it goes very straight, a tad farther than other Titleists, and doesn't feel like a rock like other distance balls. I'm not crazy about it around the green because it's hard to get it to stop on chips. Fine on approach shots.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 2 weeks later...
Ha! I found one of these that had been sliced out of bounce....:-$

I have one some where. They do tend to go straighter, but not as far. Mine is pretty old (30 years?).

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

What don't you like about the Srixons?

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian..... :-)
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you are going to point him there you should at least tell him that those balls are not legal under the rules.

Didn't realize they weren't legal, but I should have.

Z star xv. I was the same way as you with the long distance but crazy misses. Honestly best thing to do is like others have said fix the swing. I switched my grip up a little and has done wonders.

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!