IGNORED

Good article about golf after Tiger

Aguirre
Note: This thread is 3534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very reasonable and smart conclusions made here.  Or maybe I think so because my opinion is close to Matt Brennan's. Sorry about the formatting screw-up.  Think I fixed most of it.

http://deadspin.com/what-happens-to-golf-after-tiger-1621609188

Quote:

What Happens To Golf After Tiger?

By the time Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy won the 96th PGA Championship on Sunday, his second major in as many months and fourth overall, the man whose mantle he seems poised to assume had long since left the property. In 36 holes at Valhalla Golf Club, near Louisville, an ailing Tiger Woods scarcely threatened par, much less the leaders, missing the cut by five strokes. But perhaps the most surprising aspect of his disastrous performance was that few would have expected anything more out of him.

"Witty golf quote."

I agree. A well reasoned, well written article. A lot of people aren't going to like some of those conclusions though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree. A well reasoned, well written article. A lot of people aren't going to like some of those conclusions though.....

You've been posting on a golf forum far longer than myself, so you've got a better grasp.  Which conclusions?

EDIT--I should add, to any new reader, that you're better off clicking on the Deadspin link and reading the article there.  The formatting is much better, particularly for a long article.  Too late for me to edit this advice into the OP.

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator

You've been posting on a golf forum far longer than myself, so you've got a better grasp.  Which conclusions?

EDIT--I should add, to any new reader, that you're better off clicking on the Deadspin link and reading the article there.  The formatting is much better, particularly for a long article.  Too late for me to edit this advice into the OP.

Let's also try to avoid pasting entire articles in. It's likely copyright theft.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All that dare infer that Tiger has had less of an impact on anything related to the sport than that which a lot of people would credit him.  TV viewership, professional purses, and recreational golf, equipment sales, and more were all mentioned throughout the article.

Indeed, conversations with golfing insiders and a closer look at data related to television ratings, tournament purses, participation, and equipment sales reveal a more complicated picture of Tigermania's causes and consequences. Woods's singular brilliance was not the sole factor in professional golf's lucrative boom of the past two decades, nor has his iconic presence benefitted all sectors of the sport equally. The modest reality of Woods's influence hardly lives up to the mythos that surrounds him, and as golf stands on the cusp of a future after Tiger, the time has come to reckon with the difference.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!