IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

2 minutes ago, travisv said:

Playing in a Mid-Am at one of the local courses in my city next weekend. It'll be my first solo tournament round since my freshman year of high school. My goal is basically to not piss myself on the first tee and make some kind of contact with the ball. 

I know that feeling!  Good luck!!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing in the Stoneleigh Golf Club, @DaveP043 home course, Member-Guest starting tomorrow (Practice Round) and running through Sunday.  Hope I play better than I did during our March outing.  :~(

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Playing in the Stoneleigh Golf Club, @DaveP043 home course, Member-Guest starting tomorrow (Practice Round) and running through Sunday.  Hope I play better than I did during our March outing.  :~(

Outstanding! Good luck, guys!  Only rain and thunderstorms in the forecast- piece of cake compared to the outing.:-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Good luck, conditions will certainly be better!  I wish I could be playing too, but my budget has already been exceeded for my trip to Ireland.  I'll definitely try to stop by on Sunday to watch you in the shootout.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Outstanding! Good luck, guys!  Only rain and thunderstorms in the forecast- piece of cake compared to the outing.:-D

Thanks, PM Thunderstorms I can deal with.  :-D

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Good luck, conditions will certainly be better!  I wish I could be playing too, but my budget has already been exceeded for my trip to Ireland.  I'll definitely try to stop by on Sunday to watch you in the shootout.

Definitely stop by for a beer, hopefully Cord and I will play well and get to the shootout.  As long as Cord doesn't get too over-beveraged.  :beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awesome thread.  I had fun reading through each post.

I play on an Amateur Tour in Upstate SC, and we have a tournament this weekend at Bonnie Brae golf club.  It's a fun little "tour" with guys that shoot in the 60s all the way up to guys that shoot in the 100s, stroke play, net scoring.  We normally have a turnout of between 40-60.  Last year in this tournament I played really bad (96) but have been playing fairly well lately, so my goal is to shoot 88 Saturday.  I will update next week.

In our previous tournament I made a quad on #18 to shoot 92...ouch.

23 minutes ago, tigerrag said:

I play on an Amateur Tour in Upstate SC, and we have a tournament this weekend at Bonnie Brae golf club.  It's a fun little "tour" with guys that shoot in the 60s all the way up to guys that shoot in the 100s, stroke play, net scoring.  We normally have a turnout of between 40-60.  Last year in this tournament I played really bad (96) but have been playing fairly well lately, so my goal is to shoot 88 Saturday.  I will update next week.

In our previous tournament I made a quad on #18 to shoot 92...ouch.

Guess I'll see you this Saturday. :-D

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

doesn't get too over-beveraged.  :beer:

Our M/G is next weekend and getting over-bev is a requirement in one flight.

It's really tough qualifying to get entered in that flight, players must be able to handle a three-day drinking binge without getting served divorce papers from their spouse the previous year.

Good luck @jsgolfer those events are always a great time ...  

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Just now, Club Rat said:

Our M/G is next weekend and getting over-bev is a requirement in one flight.

It's really tough qualifying to get entered in that flight, players must be able to handle a three-day drinking binge without getting served divorce papers from their spouse the previous year.

Good luck @jsgolfer those events are always a great time ...  

Good luck to you as well.  

My member guest is in a couple of weeks, and we always have someone pass out on the course or in the clubhouse.  One guy that has been in my flight every year, actually laid down under a tree after their last match on the second day and his partner drove away and left him there.  They found him hours later when his wife showed up for the dinner and couldn't find him.  

-Jerry

@jsgolfer. we should start a new thread "The Best Stories from Member/Guest's Tournaments"

I'm sure it would be very entertaining with some really beauties and hilarious stories.....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Just now, Club Rat said:

@jsgolfer. we should start a new thread "The Best Stories from Member/Guest's Tournaments"

I'm sure it would be very entertaining with some really beauties and hilarious stories.....

That it would

-Jerry

Played my second championship qualifier today.  This one was for the SCGA Amateur Championship.  Tee to green I played pretty decently, except for just a couple of poor mid irons that hurt me  I also wasn't getting any breaks.  I hit the very top lip of a bunker that I just needed to clear 3 times today. 18" extra on each of those and I'm looking at short birdie putts instead of tough up and downs.

I also missed my share of short putts early on.  Could have shot a decent score if I had played only a tad better (well duh) and gotten a few breaks, but I really enjoyed myself and am digging the high level competition.  The biggest takeaway, once again, is that I don't feel too out of place.  I'm no where near the level needed to even sniff qualifying for these (today there was a playoff at 71 for the final qualifying spot, and I shot 83), but I'm not so uncomfortable that I'm afraid to keep trying.  I've also successfully finished well above dead last again, so there's that too.  :beer:

Highlight of today by far:  Playing partner holed out for eagle from about 90-100 yards on the par 5 7th hole.  Then he did it AGAIN from roughly the same distance on the par 4 16th hole.  I've never seen anything like it.  (And, yes, he qualified - shot 69)

• Upvote 3

We had our 4th MPSGA tournament today.  It was cold this morning (55 degrees) with a stiff 15+ mph wind.  Never got above 62 degrees and I was glad I still had my sock hat in the bag.

This course was just a tad too difficult for me today.  Shot an "83".  Maybe I won the 50:50 raffle!  ;-)

Brian Kuehn

First tournament ever today, member/guest with @mcanadiens. Front was a mess, 48 but brought it back together on the back with a 41 for a 89. Lost about 5 or 6 shots from missing easy putts and another 4 due to a lost ball and an OB. Overall quite happy that I was able to basically play to my HC out there. We were able to make it in at 4th place out of 18 teams and thanks to William making 2 birds we netted two skins for our combined scores as well. All in all, a great day on the course.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

18 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

First tournament ever today, member/guest with @mcanadiens. Front was a mess, 48 but brought it back together on the back with a 41 for a 89. Lost about 5 or 6 shots from missing easy putts and another 4 due to a lost ball and an OB. Overall quite happy that I was able to basically play to my HC out there. We were able to make it in at 4th place out of 18 teams and thanks to William making 2 birds we netted two skins for our combined scores as well. All in all, a great day on the course.

@Jeremie Boop basically carried me all day, but I was happy to at least contribute the two skins and have something to show for it. The one on 18 was really nice. Played that hole many times and that was my first birdie on it. The key on that hole was a 200-yard second shot to a couple of feet or so. Very relieved to drop that putt.

• Upvote 1

Our club championship begins next weekend. Yesterday, I decided to take the plunge and sign up. I was on the fence about participating this year. To be honest, I've been a bit burned out on golf after a disappointing showing in our member/member tournament. Since then, I haven't practice much, and I've only played once (a casual round with @Golfingdad where he shot a nice little 74 to smoke me by 7 shots). 

So needless to say, my expectations aren't real high. But I do love tournament golf and I'm going to do my best to have some fun and enjoy the moment, regardless of outcome. As always, I'll post my results, good bad or indifferent.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our member-guest starts on Thursday (Practice Round), hopefully I'll do a better showing than I did at the Stoneleigh M-G, which was third in our flight.  Although I played really well except had one bad 9 hole round where we lost 7-3, which doomed us as we would've tied with another 1.5.

Last year we won our flight, but the shootout got rained out.  

On 6/11/2016 at 5:45 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Great job guys.

-Jerry