IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I ran into Cord, said he is playing in the Championship Flight at your course but said that you all are playing with strokes? 

Cord may just be mistaken. He'll  need strokes, tho.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Cord may just be mistaken. He'll  need strokes, tho.

Maybe that's what he meant that he needs his strokes.  :whistle:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 8/29/2016 at 7:37 PM, SG11118 said:

My club's invitational is this weekend.  Qualifier Friday for top 32.  18 hole match play to decide champ flite champion Saturday, Sunday, Monday.  Flights of 8 for non-qualifiers with separate Senior and Super-Senior divisions.  I've qualified 2 of the last 3 years, so hoping for 3 out of 4.

Snuck into champ flight on the number.  Beat the 3rd seed 4&3 and the 15th seed 1 up.  Quarterfinals today.

John

Argentine Mid Amateur Championship starts this friday. It`s my first scratch tournament in the last 12 years after been away of golf. I`m pretty ansious about it. Never played the course and i can not play the practice round because of my work. I google it to build a strategy for the first day at least.
It`s a 54 holes stroke play with a cut after 36 holes.

Any suggestions??  

My goal is to make the cut and shoot in the 70`s on every round. I`ll post my rounds during the weekend.

23 hours ago, SG11118 said:

Won quarterfinals today.  Just me and three plus handicap players left to battle it out in the semifinals and finals Tomorrow.

Played well, but lost in semi-finals 3 & 1.  Great experience.  Made a bad three putt bogey to lose 10 and go one down, and he parred the rest of the holes forcing me to make a birdie to tie, and I couldn't get one.  Loved having a gallery follow me around.  Felt totally in-place playing with three plus handicap golfers.  Would've probably even beat one of them if I would've been playing him instead. 

5 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Argentine Mid Amateur Championship starts this friday. It`s my first scratch tournament in the last 12 years after been away of golf. I`m pretty ansious about it. Never played the course and i can not play the practice round because of my work. I google it to build a strategy for the first day at least.
It`s a 54 holes stroke play with a cut after 36 holes.

Any suggestions??  

My goal is to make the cut and shoot in the 70`s on every round. I`ll post my rounds during the weekend.

In the kpaulhus' mid-am thread, he got some pretty good advice from people prior to trying to qualify for the US Mid-Am.  I'd suggest reading through the lead up to him trying to qualify in that thread. 

My only other suggestion would be to not put too much pressure on yourself and just try to play normal golf.

• Upvote 1

John

Here is my experience at the Argentine Mid Amateur.

The course was "Club Nautico San Isidro" Par 71, rating 70,7. Pretty fast and sloped greens with narrow three lined fairways. Never played there, no practice round for me just google it for strategy purpouses.

54 holes stroke play with a cut after 36 holes. My goal was to make the cut and shoot in the 70`s in all rounds. 

Friday, 1st Day. Arrived at the club 1 hour and a half earlier to get used to the facilities and start my putting and chipping warm-up. A few full swings and streching movement and i went to the hole 1 tee. I was preety nervous. Because of a lot of rain in previous days course was really soft, drives rolled 0 yards but the greens where firm and fast. The weather for the rounds where pretty the same, 20 Celsius, 15 mile winds. 

First hole miss left from the middle of the fairway and chip-in for birdie, amazing start. But that make me more nervous. 2nd hole par 3 hit and amazing hook left OB with my 4 iron. Miss left with my 3er shot and two putts for triple bogey. 

3 putted on the 3rd for bogey and missed long the 4th for another bogey. Par next hole with GIR. 

6th hole hit the flag with my approach shot witch me the ball bounce left 15 yard, still into the green, really bad luck, 3 putted... next hole miss green rigth for another 2 putt bogey. So after 7 holes i was 6 over for the round and at that point i get a bit frustrated because i already see myself shooting in the 80`s and seeing my chances of make the cut go away.

Happily i started to hit my irons better, and pared 9 missing a short birdie putt. Nice recovery over the trees on 10th to hit green an made par on 10th. GIR on 11th for another par and birdied the short par 5 12th from 60 yards. This streak was encouraging now i was 5 over thru 12 holes. 

3 putted on 13th for bogey, pared 14th and 15th with GIR and missed short on 16th for a stupid bogey. Pared 17th with gir and 3 putted 18th for another bogey.

12 GIR on 1st round for a 79 (8 over), i was specting shotting a bit better but the OB on the 2nd hole and a lot of 3 putters didn`t let me. Drive home thinking that i was not in a good position for making the cut. Happily scores where not that good and i finish 41 over 75 players and the cut was the first 42 players. Leaders shoot 68 (3 under).

On 2nd round i put in my mind shooting 77 (6 over) to be sure i make the cut.

Same start on first hole, but this time made up and down for par. bogey on 2nd because of hitting it short of the green but 2 shots improment againts day one in that hole. pared 3th with gir. 3 putted 4th for bogey and really silly bogey missing long green on 5th. 3 over thru 5 holes wasn`t what i was spected in order to shoot 6 over and make the cut.

Pared 6th with gir and pared 7th with a short up and down. really good shot to 6 feet in the par 3 8th but missed that too. Up and down in 9th hole to finish 3 over in the front 9.

Pared 10th and 11th with girs. 12th really pised me off. Par 5 missed driver left, good recovery shot to 90 yards of the green, the flag was in the back of a 35 yards deep green. I hit a decent shot but ended in the front bunker, 2 clubs short.. hit my 4th shot over the green, good pitch to 4feet and miss the putt. double bogey from 90 yarda, hitting the iron OK to a wide and easy green. On 13th i made the exact same mistake and made another bogey. 6 over thru 13th holes. I couldn`t make more mistakes.

The miracle happened on 14th where i drained a 30 footer, 1st and only putter over 10 feet i made in the hole tournament. Im a decent putter but this greens made me look like a 30 handicap player. According to my putting measure system (similar to stroke gained of mark brodie) i was 5 strokes over my average among the 3 days. Been the first day the worst with 3,5 strokes over my average.

Pared 15th and 16th with gir, and birdied 17th after a greate shoot on the par 3 leaving it 6 feet to the flag. 3 putted 18th for bogey. 

76 (5 over) for the 2nd round and i was pretty happy about it because i was sure i will make the cut. When i get home i checked scores and i was in place 31 so i make the cut with my overal 155 ( 13 over). Leader at 139 (3 under).        

3er round, the objective was to finish top 30 and obviusly shooting again in the 70`s. 

Identic 1st hole for a par with up and down. 1 under for that hole without hitting GIR in the tournament. 

2nd hole was my worst hole in the tournament, 190 yards Par 3, OB left, river on the right. Lake on the front but 60 yards from the green. OB 1st day for a triple bogey, bogey 2nd day and in the 3er round i shanked it !! i was lucky to hit some trees and be safe from the river, but it was totally blocked so i have to lay up to the fairway for a 50 yards pitch, make double... 6 over in that hole for the tournament. 15 strokes. a tipical score for a par 5, not a par 3.

Birdied next hole from 10 feet. Pared 4th, almost drained a 60 foot putt for birdie. Pared 5th with up and down. Miss long on 6th, and make bogey. Up and down on 7 and 8 for pars and 2 putts for par on 9th. 2 over in the front, pretty happy with that ofter hitting it very bad. 

Pared 10th and 11th with gir. On 12th i made the same mistake i made the day before, hit my iron good but missed 15 yards short to the bunker, bogie. 3 putted on 13th for bogey. Up and down on 14th for par. On 15 i go for it on the par 5 but missed short in the bunker, imposible shot, pick it clean and leave it in the back of the green, pin in the front, 3 putted, bogey. next hole missed right short siding me, bogey. 17th pared with gir and on 18th hit gir but missed a 6 inches putter for par.. 

77 ( 6 over ). Overal 232 ( 19 over ). 27th place. So happily i reached all my objectives, shooting 70`s in all round, made de cut and end up in top 30. Champion 210 (3 under). I have to improve 7 shoots on my game to compete for the title one day.

Really great experience, enjoyed it a lot. Been 12 years without competing and it felt really good. Drived really grate, hit my irons good but with and deepth dispersion where too big so i have to work on that. Chipped/Pitched ok and putter owfull. A couple of things to work on before i sign on for the next mid amateur tournamente in january. 

Well i have to go to work now, golf weekend ended.    

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

All our tournament play is typically over by the end of September.  Seventeen competitive rounds for me this year.  Overall my play was similar to a year ago but just a shade worse - like a stroke a round.  Funny how a single stroke or error drops one several spots on the leaderboard. Worst effort was an 87 (71.3/135) and best 78 (69.8/132).

Anyone played any competitive golf in the past month or so?  Anything coming up?

Brian Kuehn

50 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

All our tournament play is typically over by the end of September.  Seventeen competitive rounds for me this year.  Overall my play was similar to a year ago but just a shade worse - like a stroke a round.  Funny how a single stroke or error drops one several spots on the leaderboard. Worst effort was an 87 (71.3/135) and best 78 (69.8/132).

Anyone played any competitive golf in the past month or so?  Anything coming up?

Our club championship was this past weekend.  27 holes per day.  It was 40 degrees on Saturday with about 10mph winds, but I had on 4 layers.  Hard to swing with all that bulk.  Shot a 78 after going +5 my first 3 holes.  After I loosened up a bit things went better.  Followed up with a +1-37 on my 3rd 9 of the day.  Sunday was 50 degrees but 25mph winds so it felt just as cold as Saturday.  I went 39/40-79 and then shot a 40 my 3rd 9 of the day.  Made 1 birdie all day and only had about 4-5 good looks in 27 holes.  Ended up 2nd.

I played the Minnesota State Mid-Am last week.  Had a very good ball-striking round on Monday shooting an 80 on a 73.9/138 course, with some very lousy putting.  As good as my ball-striking was Monday, it was equally bad on Tuesday, leading me to shoot a 87 on a 72.5/131 course with some pretty good putting.  Missed the cut to play Wednesday by 8 strokes.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a milestone of golf in 2016 for myself and my partner.
My long time partner and I won the Two Man Progressive at our club.
The Two Man championship event is considered by many as the prestige of championships.
With a field of 64 teams, its a summer long event which starts in April and ends in October.
After several trips to the quarter finals over past years, this was our year.
:banana:

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Played in the club championship two weeks ago. I didn't win low gross or net, but I did win the Long Drive contest on hole #8.

Tees were up a bit - only about 475 yds. that day. I hit a solid medium-height draw that hugged the right tree line and then came back to center and took off running, past the trailing cart of the next group ahead. It lased out at 170 yds. from the pin, so it was a shade over 300 yards. (I dumped a 5i into a greenside bunker, and birdie or eagle did not materialize).

I know I haven't posted follow-up footage recently on Member Swing -  I missed most of June and July with tennis elbow, complete with steroid treatment pack. But, I've been doing the recommended drills to loosen my right elbow hinging. I'm getting more extension on downswing and have hit some really good drives the past few weeks.

No hardware prize, but I did get a $50 gift certificate.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Played our closing tournament of the year, a step aside scramble, with me, my wife and another couple. Shot 69 to finish 3rd gross.  End of the year is coming and I'm playing really well.  If only the weather would stay good.  Oh yeah, its supposed to be 75 on Wednesday for our Greens Keeper Revenge tournament. :-D 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight was the annual Champions Dinner at the club.

A great time to kick back and have a few Brewski's with everyone and enjoy our accomplishments.
Dinner was fantastic with the awards presented afterwards.

IMG_0369.JPG  

The wife said we may need a bigger house soon......

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Tonight was the annual Champions Dinner at the club.

A great time to kick back and have a few Brewski's with everyone and enjoy our accomplishments.
Dinner was fantastic with the awards presented afterwards.

IMG_0369.JPG  

The wife said we may need a bigger house soon......

I know you've posted individually, but what are each of those fine pieces of glassware for?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I know you've posted individually, but what are each of those fine pieces of glassware for?

The two larger items are the Two Man Progressive, One is Regular Members (64 teams) and the other is Senior Members (only 32 teams)
The smaller is 1st Flight Stroke Play in regular member. I also had 1st place in 1st flight in the Member/Member this year, but the club only gives awards to the Overall and Net winners.

Along with a "Hole in One" plaque this year, it's been a berry, berry good year.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a bit quiet on this thread recently, which I suppose is understandable during the winter time. 

I decided to take the plunge this year and try out for our club's SCGA "Team Play" squad. Has anyone else participated in this before? It's basically a March Madness style match play event that runs across every major men's club in Southern California. This year, there are 31 divisions of 4 teams each - 124 total clubs participating. They range from prestigious country clubs (Mesa Verde, Hacienda, Coto de Caza) to dingy munis. Each division plays 6 matches against the other 3 clubs in a round robin style format - one home and one "away" match against each other club. The matches are 16-on-16, broken into 8 foursomes. Each foursome has two guys a side play two opponents in a singles match, along with a team fourball. Each match is worth 2 points for a total of 6 points up for grabs in every group. With 48 total points available (6 points x 8 foursomes), the first club to hit 25 is the winner. At the end of the 6 matches, the club with the best record advances to a single elimination round of 32 playoff. 

Anyway... that's a long pre-amble to say that it's basically match play on steroids. You are not only playing for yourself, but also for your team match, and to help the 15 other guys on your club pull out a win. It's pretty exhilarating. 

So far, our squad is 2-1. I've played in two of the matches (we roster 23 and start 16 each week) and have held my own so far. I lost my opener "on the road" in a close match. Down 2 after 16, I parred the par 3 17th hole to win and get back to 1 down. Unfortunately, a pretty decent tee shot on 18 disappeared into the right rough and I never found it despite 3 guys searching for 5 minutes. Pretty disappointing way to lose a match, but what are you going to do? Fortunately, my partner picked me up during some early struggles and we were able to win the team match easily.

My second match was one of my better rounds of the year. I shot even par on the front to take a 6-up lead on my opponent and closed him out after the 12th hole. Again, we won the team match - taking 4 of the 6 possible points. 

Our next opponent is tied for the lead at 2-1 and we are playing "away" on their turf. I'm not sure if I'll be in the lineup this week, but if anyone is interested, I'll come back and post the results at the conclusion of the season. 

• Upvote 3