IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

16 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yesterday was the big day.  I didn't have super high expectations as I haven't had a chance to play or practice much in the last few weeks, but I hit the ball OK warming up and save for a couple stinkers, I hit the ball OK all round too.  Unfortunately, had a couple of bad breaks and didn't capitalize when I had opportunities.

I ultimately lost 3&2.  A couple of the highlights:

• My opponent got the first big break on number 1, when his birdie putt from the fringe about 50 feet away dropped after smashing into the back of the cup and jumping in the air.  Had he not hit the hole there, his par putt would have been ~10 or more, I venture.
  • Made three great shots that lead to a tap-in par on 3 (445 yard par 4), but lost to my opponents par on his only stroke hole.
  • We each gave each other one of the par 3's on the front by dunking our tee shots
  • Birdied the par 5 8th with an up and down from the greenside bunker to get back to 1 down.
  • Couldn't get up and down from a hardpan bunker on 9, went 2 down.
  • Opponent hit his approach to 1' on 10, went 3 down.
  • 11 is the big turning point.  I'm 115 out after two shots on the par 5 (opponent is about 100 out after two), and I hit a good approach that seemed to be headed right for the hole.  Unfortunately, it was too good of a shot, because it hit the cup and ended up about 50 feet away, off the back of the green, and I couldn't get it up and down.  IMG_0574.JPGWent from a kick in birdie and a win to a bogey and a loss.  4 down instead of 2 down.  After that it was just a matter of time.
  • Just missed a birdie on 12, and had an opportunity on 13 as well, but no dice.  Opponent made a big par on 14 to stay 4 up.
  • Birdied 15 to extend, but could not win 16, and that's where it ended.

All in all, a fun tournament, some good experience for next year (as well as for Newport Cup!) and I'll definitely keep working at it. :beer:

Ugh.  Match play tournaments are a ball though.  :beer:

My club's is coming up.  18 hole stroke play qualifier to get down to the top 32.  I can't wait!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today is the day. I tee off in just under 2 hours. Strangely, I don't feel nervous.... yet. It is at the course I play the most so I shouldn't have any issues there. We are playing as threesomes, so pace shouldn't be too bad either. The only thing that may get me is walking 18 as I haven't had a chance to play as much this year so I'm not quite used to walking while playing. I made sure to grab some snack sized bags of peanuts to snack on during the round and am going to fill up a bottle of water too. My goal this year is just to make it to tomorrow's round. I'll update after with how it went.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Today is the day. I tee off in just under 2 hours. Strangely, I don't feel nervous.... yet. It is at the course I play the most so I shouldn't have any issues there. We are playing as threesomes, so pace shouldn't be too bad either. The only thing that may get me is walking 18 as I haven't had a chance to play as much this year so I'm not quite used to walking while playing. I made sure to grab some snack sized bags of peanuts to snack on during the round and am going to fill up a bottle of water too. My goal this year is just to make it to tomorrow's round. I'll update after with how it went.

Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Good luck!

Well after the front I'm safely out of any chance. Oh well.  Still golfing and not at work

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

The Springfield Member-Guest starts tomorrow with our opening practice round.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

So, I had serious trouble off the tee. 54 Front with 2 holes that I went ob twice from the tee for two +5 holes. Turned it around on the back. Still struggled with the driver but had a 44. All I needed was get a triple on those two holes to make it to day two. I never felt nervous or tense so no idea what happened. 

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

33 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

So, I had serious trouble off the tee. 54 Front with 2 holes that I went ob twice from the tee for two +5 holes. Turned it around on the back. Still struggled with the driver but had a 44. All I needed was get a triple on those two holes to make it to day two. I never felt nervous or tense so no idea what happened. 

It happens.  

Take the positive from the turnaround on the back and climb back on that horse as soon as you can.  Good or bad, there's nothing like tournament play to get the juices flowing!  :beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

no idea what happened. 

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

It happens.

Yeah, I'd probably just say that "golf" happened.

And then I'd repeat the rest of Dave's post:

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Take the positive from the turnaround on the back and climb back on that horse as soon as you can.  Good or bad, there's nothing like tournament play to get the juices flowing!  :beer:

:-)

On 6/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, David in FL said:

Ugh.  Match play tournaments are a ball though.  :beer:

My club's is coming up.  18 hole stroke play qualifier to get down to the top 32.  I can't wait!

Wishing you the best.  Match Play tournaments are great -- won my flight two years ago.  Finally got a fireplace so I can proudly display the trophy above it now!

Lost in round of 32 last year.  Messed up the first two holes of the stroke play qualifier this year... topped my ball off the first tee and it went out of bounds.  Missed the cut by 2.  Played 12 holes at bogey or better, might have been able to win a match had that day been match play.  Maybe I'll check the scorecards of the rest of my flight, see who I could have beaten that day ;-)  [I don't actually have the time to do that]

Stroke play tournament tomorrow.  I think I'll go practice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Wishing you the best.  Match Play tournaments are great -- won my flight two years ago.  Finally got a fireplace so I can proudly display the trophy above it now!

Lost in round of 32 last year.  Messed up the first two holes of the stroke play qualifier this year... topped my ball off the first tee and it went out of bounds.  Missed the cut by 2.  Played 12 holes at bogey or better, might have been able to win a match had that day been match play.  Maybe I'll check the scorecards of the rest of my flight, see who I could have beaten that day ;-)  [I don't actually have the time to do that]

Stroke play tournament tomorrow.  I think I'll go practice.

Good luck tomorrow.  Let us know how it goes!

My club is fortunate to have 2 distinctly different courses.  For the first time, this year they're having separate match play and stroke play championships at each course.  

First match play qualifier (stroke play) is this Saturday.  64 entries cut to 32, and seeded from there.  We'll see...

In David's bag....

So yesterday was the last day for qualifying for the Springfield Club Championship (Championship Flight).  You needed two rounds and of course I went into the last day with none due to a variety of factors.  So I wasn't going to try and qualify, didn't think I would have time, but my buddy had to get in his second round and needed a marker so I went out with him at 3:30.

We finished in just under 3.5 hours (Done at 7 pm ) and I shot a lovely 41-37-78 with a double and a triple.  As I finish, the other guys sitting around asked me how I did, told them but said I won't be able to get in my second round, as I ran out of time.  But the current club champion says take a cart and go play 18 holes, you'll get it in.  So I grabbed my other buddy and took one cart, played the front 9 in 43 minutes and the back nine in 55 minutes to finish 18 holes in 1.5 hours (fastest 18 hole round ever).  Shot 43-39-82 to finish 78-82-160 to qualify for the Championship flight.  Won't be a high seed, but only needed to get in.  16 players qualify.

Heading to Member-Guest practice round today.  :beer:

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Upvote 3

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

It happens.  

I am not discouraged at all, by the looks of the scores I can definitely play well enough to make the weekend rounds. Even with how bad I played, I would still have typically made it to the next round, but there were just fewer people this year. Even with the bad holes I had, if it had been match play I'd have done just fine. After the first day everything goes to match play too, so next year I am fully expecting to make it through. I knew I was asking a lot to do well this year because I've not been golfing much at all for several reasons, but this has given me a bit of a boost in motivation.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

18-hole club outing/tournament today at a course I hadn't played in a long while.  I shot an 84 (+12);  two double-bogeys (holes 10 and 12), 8 GIR + 2 scrambling.  Nothing worse than double bogey.  I know I didn't win low gross for my flight.  My finish remains to be seen (results not in yet).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played in an interclub match yesterday. First time doing that. It was nassau match play. I won the front nine 4 up, but he made a comeback on me on the back 9. With 3 holes left, I was only one up. He teed off first on a par 3 and put it to about 2 feet. It actually looked closer than that from the tee. I thought it was an easy kick in birdie that I would probably give to him. So I needed a great shot to stay one up, and I put it to 6 inches. Won the next hole to win the total match 2&1 (he won the back 9 3&2), and got 2 points. It was probably one of my best shots ever, considering the situation.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

38-38-76 in M-G practice round. 1 double, 2 birdies. Played well.

after practice round played our in-flight shootout, alternate shot.?lost on 3rd hole.  Partner dumpednin water on 11 and we were done with our 5

-Jerry

1st day of the Member-Guest:

Lost 1st match 5-4, shot 39, partner didn't help much.

Won 2nd match, 5-4 shot 39 again, partner helped less.

Won 3rd Match 7-2, shot 35, partner finally helped out. 

We are 1 point out of first and we lost to the leading team in the first match.

• Upvote 2

-Jerry

11 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

1st day of the Member-Guest:

Lost 1st match 5-4, shot 39, partner didn't help much.

Won 2nd match, 5-4 shot 39 again, partner helped less.

Won 3rd Match 7-2, shot 35, partner finally helped out. 

We are 1 point out of first and we lost to the leading team in the first match.

You got em right where you want em now!  Good luck today!

I'm about to head out for my match play qualifier.  Just one quick cup of coffee, to compound the jitters.  I say, go big or go home! ;-) 

In David's bag....