IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

34 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You got em right where you want em now!  Good luck today!

I'm about to head out for my match play qualifier.  Just one quick cup of coffee, to compound the jitters.  I say, go big or go home! ;-) 

Good luck play well!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ugh.

Shot 83, net 75.  Missed the cut by 1.  Only hit 3 greens, that'll do it every time.  One triple, and one 4-putt double.  :doh:

Another qualifier in 3 weeks for our second match play tournament.  Hope to have my head out of my butt by then!  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Ugh.

Shot 83, net 75.  Missed the cut by 1.  Only hit 3 greens, that'll do it every time.  One triple, and one 4-putt double.  :doh:

Another qualifier in 3 weeks for our second match play tournament.  Hope to have my head out of my butt by then!  :8)

Well we didn't play well, shot 39-39 in both matches but my partner played worse today then yesterday.  We ended up in 3rd place in the flight but it was a struggle. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I really enjoy this thread.  Since i don't play in any tournaments outside of my league, it's enjoyable to read about the tournaments that you guys play.

1 hour ago, Zekez said:

I really enjoy this thread.  Since i don't play in any tournaments outside of my league, it's enjoyable to read about the tournaments that you guys play.

Most of the tournaments I play are in my league.

Are the PA area TST meetups run as tournaments?  You might want to go to those when they happen too.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Are the PA area TST meetups run as tournaments?  You might want to go to those when they happen too.

Eh, kinda. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, Zekez said:

If I may, why not look for some local tournaments?  They're a ton of fun!

i would imagine your state golf association would be a good place to start.  @iacas can certainly give some guidance too.

Have at it!  :beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This weekend 4 tournaments in a row. First three in Germany at the Ahaus golfcourse. The three days in Germany are a bit more fun then pressure. You get something to eat at the halfway house and drinks and dinner are for free.

First day Stableford, also a price for Stableford with no strokes given. Winner scored 28 points (+8) as I did too. Next day I was all over the place with a +16.

Third day was a foursome kind of (greensome) format, together with @canth. We were on fire on the first 9 (level), but then our approaches went sour and we ended making +6. The threeputt double bogey on 18 was our downfall. +5 was good for the win.

Next day I played a strokeplay event in Amsterdam, but the focus and energy were gone. Also it was difficult to adapt to the much slower greens.  4 days focus in a row turned out to be too much. Started tripple, double, double, bogey and bogey. And later on, when I hit the water on a short par 3, I gave up and made an other couple of doubles and a tripple. Scored a 97. Time to take a couple of days off from golf. :8)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Time to take a couple of days off from golf. :8)

Yeah, you need a vacation from all that golf :-P  

Seriously, though, that sounds like it was a fun trip.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

First round of the Springfield G&CC Club Championship starts tomorrow.

Playing the Number 3 seed, really good player (1.6 index) and good guy.  I beat him the last couple of times we played from the blue tees, but his last three rounds from the tips have been really good (72,72,& 71).  Will need to play my best to beat him.  

• Upvote 2

-Jerry

Small victories!

Finished 7th out of 18 in the MAGA Amateur circuit Senior Net division today.

Shot 50 + 45 = 95, which netted out as a 69 (higher slope than my home course). In three of my last four rounds (local and this tourney), I have shot two or three stroke under my HDCP.

The front was a disaster. After three ho-hum bogies, hit rough sledding. Course was wet, and the rough was sparse but shaggy - most of time the ball was on the dirt with 3-6 inches of grass around it.

Nightmare hole came on No. 8, a 450-yd. uphill par 5. I hit a solid drive that hit the fairway on a drier part of the course, and the ball ran uphill another 30 yds. into light rough. I was 200 yds. out in a flyer lie, so I hit a super 5W than landed in the greenside bunker 5 yds. past the pin, about 20 yards to pin! I try a blast shot, but the firm wet sand ricochets my clubhead directly into ball, which flies cross green into a far bunker. Final ugly wrap-up: I miss a 5-foot putt for a 7.

I had five three-putts - including that started as birdie putts - continuing Wednesday's headaches. Had 40 putts in all. Did get up and down for a par and two bogies bogie along the way.

Did play the four par 3s in just +3. And, played last three holes in just +1.

Half the field really struggled with wet rough and spongy greens. Two 20 HDCPers failed to break 100 on raw score.

With today's points and points from earlier rounds, I now have 50 points on the season. This puts me in 12th place - top 18 get into end of season Championship in October.

• Upvote 3

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

So just finished first round of Club Championship, had a balky putter for first four holes and found myself down 4 after 4. Got it to 2 down going into 9 and hit horrible bunker shot to make double and walk off 9 3 down, after a birdie by my playing competitor on 11, I walk off 4 down with 7 to play. After a half on 12 &13 with Pat's, I win the 14th with a pat to go 3 down, With 4 to play. On 15 my 3rd to the par 5 lips out for 3 and stops 8 feet past the hole. He makes a 20 footer for birdie and I make mine to halve the hole. So three down with 3 to play. I birdie 16 to get to 2 and miss my 15 foot birdie putt on 17 to lose 2&1. 

But after being down 4 after 4, getting to 17 felt really good, was 2 under on the back 9. 

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

An irritating part of tournament play is when a member of the group hits a bad patch of holes, and the group gets put on the clock. We're talking penalty strokes after second notification.

Last time, a guy was 2-over after three holes, and then fell apart. He went triple b, double b and another triple. We had to search for his ball several times, and then he'd chop a shot about 20 feet for his next one.

Problem for me: I start rushing my shots to save time for the group, and it hurts my score.

I'll have a couple of wild shots each nine, but lately I've avoided sequential chop-chops.

Anyone have any ideas for handling on the clock, when it's not your fault?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

3 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Assuming this isn't against your club rules, do the usual pace of play things:

* Take a provisional whenever there's a chance of not finding the ball.  Encourage others to do the same.

* When the first person (or full cart, if riding) has putted out, go to the next tee.  

* If sharing a cart, practice good cart etiquette by dropping off one with clubs and going to the other.  

* Don't mark and wait on a short putt if you can putt out without stepping in someone's line.

* Take a second or two before you address the ball to put your mental state away from the delay.  That is, don't rush the swing itself.

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

An irritating part of tournament play is when a member of the group hits a bad patch of holes, and the group gets put on the clock. We're talking penalty strokes after second notification.

Last time, a guy was 2-over after three holes, and then fell apart. He went triple b, double b and another triple. We had to search for his ball several times, and then he'd chop a shot about 20 feet for his next one.

Problem for me: I start rushing my shots to save time for the group, and it hurts my score.

I'll have a couple of wild shots each nine, but lately I've avoided sequential chop-chops.

I´ve never been under the clock in a tournament but as i know that has to be applyed individually. If you walk fast and took 40 or less seconds to hit your shot you cannot be penalised. I think that you can never been penalised because of the delay of one or more players in your group. If that happens you can argue that at the end of the round before signing it, thru the round don´t worry about it.  

Played in a club tournament yesterday.  The usual 18 hole medal play.  Opened double-double, a pretty good burger but not a great way to start a tournament round.  I would later double #10 and triple #15, but balanced those with ten pars and four bogeys.  I finished low gross in my flight :-)  

My third consecutive year winning a tournament with my club (and I missed the ToC last year due to work).  This one was all about the 24/30 or so days in June I practiced.  Special thanks to my evolvr instructor, Stephen, who is amazing;  and also thanks to everyone in this thread who believed in me.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

Played our last year long fourball match, shot 35-38-73 and we only tied 1.5-1.5 but it was enough for us to win our flight. :beer:

on to the final 32 when that starts

• Upvote 2

-Jerry

Welp..   played in my first tournament.   A summer-long matchplay event at Chaska Town Course:  6,397 yds - 71.6/136

I was ousted in the first match 2&1.   We were both 12 handicaps, so no strokes given either way.   

The frustrating was that I birdied hole 13 to go 1 up.   Then on 14 (174 yd par 3), I stick my tee shot to about 12 ft.   he hits his tee shot left of the green.   really felt I was on my way to coasting in.   Then he hits a chip to about 1-inch. and I miss my putt.   so, still 1 up after 14.    on 15, I put my tee shot in the woods.  and end up double bogeying the hole.  he took it with a bogey.   now AS.  then on 16...   the dreaded shank!   literally hit my tee shot directly left into the woods 10 ft in front of me.   Amazingly, I re-tee.  hit a drive right down the middle, pitch to 10 ft and hit the putt for bogie (would've been birdie with the stupid shank.).   my bogie putt ends up meaningless, as he scored a par to go one up.   Then, I bogey 17 and he pars again to clinch it 2&1.   

pretty clear case of having the match in hand, but buckled under the pressure.   need more tournament experience under my belt. 

shot an 86, which wasn't a bad score on a tough course.  

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here