IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

My wife and I won the Couples Championship today. :beer: Won on the first playoff hole with a miraculous par. They had us do a playoff after we were eating and drinking on the patio. Had to get my clubs out of car and put shoes back on. Pull hook my drive behind a tree, punch out, hit a SW over the trees to 30 feet. Make putt, and win.

The pro caught my 30 footer for the win.

Shot 35-36-71 4 birdies, 1 double and 2 bogeys. She shot 89. 

• Upvote 3

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played in another of our club's one-day handicapped events.  105 players in 4 flights.  I shot 78 gross for a -1 net of 71, good for a tie for second place.  I seem to fit the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" saying as another "A" flight competitor topped us with a gross 71, net 67.  At least I did not have to kick myself for the 3-putt on #17, since a shot here or there wouldn't have made a difference.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Played yesterday in an Amateur Scratch Tournament. It was played on a course (Vanajanlinna Golf & Country Club) that recently hosted a European Senior Tour event.

Played from the back tees, CR 76.1 / Slope 145, pretty long course. Shot 77 (+5) and ended up in 3rd place. 14 pars, 3 bogies, 1 double bogey. Steady play, even though the birdies didn't drop.

• Upvote 1

It's club championship week for me. The Kittyhawk Men's Association plays a round on both the Hawk and Eagle courses with the A and B Flights playing a third round on the executive Falcon course. Being a C-flight golfer, I avoid the mean-spirited short course.

Started preparing by moving back to the white tees (regular men's tees) on Hawk course yesterday. Being somewhat distance-challenged, I play nearly all my casual rounds off the golds (seniors) which themselves are a solid 6100-plus. Yesterday, I didn't worry a whole lot about the score, the goal was just to see what sort of shots I may be looking at on Saturday. It was pleasing to see that if I hit my tee shots solidly, most of the greens are well within reach. I may well be getting a little more distance out of my clubs than has been historically the case. 

My hope is to get two decent practice sessions in and hitting the driver will be a focus. I believe I'm still spinning my wrists a bit and that's resulting in my worst drives. If the 1W is good this weekend, I think I got a pretty good shot. 

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

It's club championship week for me. The Kittyhawk Men's Association plays a round on both the Hawk and Eagle courses with the A and B Flights playing a third round on the executive Falcon course. Being a C-flight golfer, I avoid the mean-spirited short course.

Started preparing by moving back to the white tees (regular men's tees) on Hawk course yesterday. Being somewhat distance-challenged, I play nearly all my casual rounds off the golds (seniors) which themselves are a solid 6100-plus. Yesterday, I didn't worry a whole lot about the score, the goal was just to see what sort of shots I may be looking at on Saturday. It was pleasing to see that if I hit my tee shots solidly, most of the greens are well within reach. I may well be getting a little more distance out of my clubs than has been historically the case. 

My hope is to get two decent practice sessions in and hitting the driver will be a focus. I believe I'm still spinning my wrists a bit and that's resulting in my worst drives. If the 1W is good this weekend, I think I got a pretty good shot. 

Good luck!  Look forward to hearing about it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Next weekend i will be playing in "Copa el hogar" it´s a national mixed tournament. I will be playing it with a women golfer from my home course, i just played with her once. She is an 11 handicap, i´m at 0. 

The tournament take place in Buenos Aires Golf were we never played before, one of the best courses in Argentina, tiger played there on the 2000´s World Cup. It´s a 2 day competition, First day is four-ball and the second four-some with no cut and no handicap.

It´s our first time to play this tournament, no spectations at all. Just enjoy the course and meet new people, a good score will be a bonus. 

Foursome strategy tips?? Never play that format. 

6 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Couple of holes will be really short if the woman tees it off. Figure out where it makes the biggest difference.

Allways try to be best friends on the course, no stress be happy.

Edited by MacDutch

8 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Next weekend i will be playing in "Copa el hogar" it´s a national mixed tournament. I will be playing it with a women golfer from my home course, i just played with her once. She is an 11 handicap, i´m at 0. 

The tournament take place in Buenos Aires Golf were we never played before, one of the best courses in Argentina, tiger played there on the 2000´s World Cup. It´s a 2 day competition, First day is four-ball and the second four-some with no cut and no handicap.

It´s our first time to play this tournament, no spectations at all. Just enjoy the course and meet new people, a good score will be a bonus. 

Is it straight foursomes, or greensomes?  If it's straight foursomes, I agree with @MacDutch, it's all about managing the drive 

In David's bag....

19 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Couple of holes will be really short if the woman tees it off. Figure out where it makes the biggest difference.

I think about this, the problem is that there are 4 or 5 tees on each hole, we don´t know from from where she and i will be teen off.

17 hours ago, David in FL said:

Is it straight foursomes, or greensomes?  If it's straight foursomes, I agree with @MacDutch, it's all about managing the drive 

I don´t know the difference :P. We will be playing with one ball, Alternating in every stroke and alternating who tee´s off on every hole.

She hit 230 average drives, i hit 260 average. I think it´s better that she tee off on every hole jaja, but that´s against the rules. Tonigth i´ll check the distances against the tee´s i think we will be playing. After all i have to chosse even or not even holes to tee off.   

7 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I think about this, the problem is that there are 4 or 5 tees on each hole, we don´t know from from where she and i will be teen off.

I don´t know the difference :P. We will be playing with one ball, Alternating in every stroke and alternating who tee´s off on every hole.

She hit 230 average drives, i hit 260 average. I think it´s better that she tee off on every hole jaja, but that´s against the rules. Tonigth i´ll check the distances against the tee´s i think we will be playing. After all i have to chosse even or not even holes to tee off.   

Sounds like it's straight foursomes.  In greensome so you both tee off and then choose one drive and alternate in from there.

We don't play either very often in The States, but it's a fun format.  Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.  :beer:

In David's bag....

I've managed two full practice sessions ahead of the KHMA Club Championship this weekend. Tuesday's session focused on the driver. Thursday, I hit through the bag just to make sure stuff was doing what I might expect it to do. I worked in a good 20 minutes on the short-game area and finished off with some putting both days.

Generally, everything got off the ground and down the range. Everything is at least the normal distances, though my fairway woods and, for some reason, the 7I were generally longer than normal. My misses seem to mostly be of the push-fade variety. Hardly a hook to be had and that's the most optimistic thing. I can work with a one-way miss. The short-game work was really good considering I'm using my backup SW after the gamer went AWOL a couple of weeks ago. The replacement actually seems more versatile and still gives me the same range. I also feel dialed into Kittyhawk's rather slow green speeds.

I've done what I can do. Now a good dinner tonight, a good night's rest and it should be a fun next two days. 

Saturday,

Kittyhawk Men's Association Club Championship, Hawk Course.

44-54-98

I sprained my ankle and dumped 19 strokes on two par-4 holes. Hung tough for a while, it fell apart at the end. Damn shame after a half-decent front nine.

I'll try to stay off it for the rest of today and see if I can give it a go tomorrow. Hurting like a bastard right now. Some dude shot a 90 with 25 handicap strokes for a 65. It would be a pretty crazy reversal to get any kind of result.

Sunday,

Kittyhawk Men's Association Club Championship, Eagle Course

47-50-97

The good news is my ankle felt a lot better. The bad news is that it was more of the same otherwise. Out of the 12 playing in our C flight, I finished in a three-way tie for 6th.

All weekend I had decent holes, but could not go more than four without the blowup. Had two triples and a quad today. The quad was particular horrible after I pounded my drive down the pipe. A fatted 8-iron led to an embarrassing sequence of wedge shots. Really five of the 36 holes played this weekend did an awful lot of damage.

On 31/7/2017 at 0:02 PM, p1n9183 said:

In the first day my partner was so nervous, i tryed to calm her down but she could´t handdle tournament pressure, intead of an 11 handicap player she looked like a 20..25 handicap.
It was four-ball in the first day and we shoot 77 (+5). We were -1 on the 12th tee but a couple of bogeys and double on 17 and 18 killed our scorecard. I shoot 78 (+6), she helped me in one hole she pared were I made bogey. 
Of 15 teams (poor field) we were tied for 9th place. leaders at 67 (-5).

On the foursome second day she tryed to chill out and enjoy the course witch was amazing, that worked out she played better. We tryed to keep the ball in play and shoot a decent 83 (+11). 160 (+16) overall ended in the 9th place.
In order to decide who tee-up on even holes i search for distance or another advantages but it was pretty even. So I decided to choose the better strategy to play 17 and 18 were whe shoot +4 the day before, we shoot birdie/par in those holes, strategy worked ! :D

Despite her performance she enjoyed playing the tournament and asked if there another one, now she want´s more ! there´s only one tournament like this in the calendar so she have to wait one more year, but she have a full year to improve for the next one.

In my case i prefer stroke play competitions, but it´s ok to play one of this each year.

In 1 month i have 2 mid am´s, working a lot to be in god shape for that ones

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I played in a 54 hole local amateur event which is part of the areas "NW Golf Tour".  A series of 2 or 3 day events which draw pretty good fields.  I came in with a 9.7 handicap which put me in the 2nd Flight (7-10) with a 10 handicap. 

I was struggling with putting yips for the week prior and they came back with a vengeance on Day one.  I lost track of how many three putts I had and 4 putted a par 3.  I ended the first day with a 96... 48/48 and one of the worst days on the course ever.  It really sucks to be standing over a 3 foot putt and know it has no chance of going in the hole... unless by luck.  I was very discouraged.  But, I went to the putting green after the round and hit putt after putt with no yip.  So, now I know I'm a head case. 

I show up the second day determined to do better and my yippy stroke was able to actually make some putts.  I shot 79 the second day which was my first 70's round of the year. 

Day 3: The yips returned but after shooting 45 on the front I switched back to a conventional grip and shot 38 on the back with a birdie.  The yips disappeared when there was no more pressure.  final round was a 83.  One positive from the round was a KP on a 157 yd par 3... 1 foot 5 inches from the cup.  Which led to my lone birdie of the tournament. 

Not sure if my tournament days are over as I don't think I have the nerves for it.  I'm at a cross roads. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

3 hours ago, todgot said:

I played in a 54 hole local amateur event which is part of the areas "NW Golf Tour".  A series of 2 or 3 day events which draw pretty good fields.  I came in with a 9.7 handicap which put me in the 2nd Flight (7-10) with a 10 handicap. 

I was struggling with putting yips for the week prior and they came back with a vengeance on Day one.  I lost track of how many three putts I had and 4 putted a par 3.  I ended the first day with a 96... 48/48 and one of the worst days on the course ever.  It really sucks to be standing over a 3 foot putt and know it has no chance of going in the hole... unless by luck.  I was very discouraged.  But, I went to the putting green after the round and hit putt after putt with no yip.  So, now I know I'm a head case. 

I show up the second day determined to do better and my yippy stroke was able to actually make some putts.  I shot 79 the second day which was my first 70's round of the year. 

Day 3: The yips returned but after shooting 45 on the front I switched back to a conventional grip and shot 38 on the back with a birdie.  The yips disappeared when there was no more pressure.  final round was a 83.  One positive from the round was a KP on a 157 yd par 3... 1 foot 5 inches from the cup.  Which led to my lone birdie of the tournament. 

Not sure if my tournament days are over as I don't think I have the nerves for it.  I'm at a cross roads. 

You shot 79 on day 2.  Why focus on days 1 and 3, rather than day 2?

It's up to you. ;-) 

In David's bag....

Played my first match in our Match Play Club Championship last week (finally).  Was a nightmare trying to find a time when both of us could play.  

Played like absolute crap on the front 9, started out with a double bogey from 93 yards out (3 putt).  Made a 35' putt from about 3 feet off the green on 2 for a birdie to pull back even.  I bogeyed all the par 5s on the front (3 of them, par 37).  Driver being wayward lent a hand in that.  Finished the front +3-40 and was 1 up.  

Played a bit better on the back, but it didn't help I started out with a bogey and he birdied to pull even. Bogeyed the 11th and he doubled (both of us from the sand with less than 1" of actual sand to hit from).  I won 12 to go 2up, tied 13, I won 14 with a birdie to go 3 up and won 15 with a par to close out the match 4&3.  Was +4 thru 15 holes.  Semi-final match will be played this Thursday against a very good player that carries a +0.7 handicap. Will need to tighten up the game a bit to have a chance at that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

You shot 79 on day 2.  Why focus on days 1 and 3, rather than day 2?

It's up to you. ;-) 

I agree and the truth is the 79 did not feel as good as the 96 felt bad.  Even in the 2nd round I would walk off a green after having made par on a hole by wishing in a 3 or 4 foot putt and I would not feel great... even though I hit a great drive and a great second shot.  Imagine Ernie Els at Augusta... it was that bad.  I had to admit last year I had the chipping yips but never had this issue with putting until last week.  I've never felt that bad on a golf course and I'm still a little down.  I'm not new to tournament golf... I try to play at least 3 local amateur tournaments a year and would play more if I could but this is the first time anything like that has ever happened and it was a shock to the system.  But thanks... I do need to focus on the positive.  I didn't give up...

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade: