IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

Played my club championship match play 3rd round match yesterday. I won 5/4, played pretty good, I was 2 over par when the match ended on the 14th hole.

Made 3 bogeys and 6 pars on the front nine, I was 2 up after that. On the back nine I made a birdie and 4 pars. On to the semi-finals!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get to play a practice round tomorrow at Westborough CC, which will host the area Senior Championship (36 holes next Monday and Tuesday).

For years I lived about a half-mile from the course, but played it only once in grade school. (I caddied at another course that paid better and had fewer caddies). I know the holes somewhat from jogging around the course.

The course is short and tight, with lots of beautiful (I mean it!), well maintained white sand bunkers. It plays a curious 34 + 34 = 68... the club almost went bankrupt in the 1940s, and the members sold sections of the course to a church and to a local school district to pay off debts. This led to the current par 68 layout. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Sr. Club Championship first round. 

36-37-73 16 pars 2 bogeys hit 16 greens just couldn't make a putt. Burned lots of edges but find myself 6 back. There was a 67,69,70 and 71. I'm 5th, with my 73. 

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Sr. Club Championship first round. 

36-37-73 16 pars 2 bogeys hit 16 greens just couldn't make a putt. Burned lots of edges but find myself 6 back. There was a 67,69,70 and 71. I'm 5th, with my 73. 

73 hitting 16 greens?!  Ugh!  :doh:

That can't last though.  Keep hitting those greens and putts will have to start to drop!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

33 minutes ago, David in FL said:

73 hitting 16 greens?!  Ugh!  :doh:

That can't last though.  Keep hitting those greens and putts will have to start to drop!  :beer:

Yeah hopefully they'll fall tomorrow, great day of ball striking and putting wasn't bad just need to get the ball closer to the hole, can't live on 20 footers. Didn't really have a long par putt all day. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Didn't have the same game today. 38-39-77. Hit 8 greens, Made a birdie and an eagle but a double and too many bogeys make for a bad round and it's was over 5 hour round, brutal day waited on every shot. 

-Jerry

Monday was first round of Senior Amateur Championship. I shot a 92, and was in first place for low net in my age group.

Today things fell apart. I was hitting solid drives but missing all my iron approaches and wedge shots. I started feeling dizzy near the end of the first nine, and decided to withdraw.

Maybe next year...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

9 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Monday was first round of Senior Amateur Championship. I shot a 92, and was in first place for low net in my age group.

Today things fell apart. I was hitting solid drives but missing all my iron approaches and wedge shots. I started feeling dizzy near the end of the first nine, and decided to withdraw.

Maybe next year...

Hope you are feeling better....

Played the championship match in our club match play tournament.  Won 2&1 shooting even par overall.  Even par was a great score, but didn't play my best...was kind of scrambling all round.  A win is a win though and I will take it!

Edited by Grinde6
Added more
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

Played the championship match in our club match play tournament.  Won 2&1 shooting even par overall.  Even par was a great score, but didn't play my best...was kind of scrambling all round.  A win is a win though and I will take it!

Congratulations!  Let us see a pic of the hardware!  :beer:

In David's bag....

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Congratulations!  Let us see a pic of the hardware!  :beer:

Hahahahah...our club is too cheap for hardware...kinda sad really.  I didn't find out until midway through my round today that we were playing for $60 or $40 in club credit.  It was still fun though. 

• Administrator

Did I post about our scramble? July 28.

Shot -14, with one eagle and five pars… and lost in a scorecard playoff.

@NCGolfer hit a wedge that "drew" (in the cross-wind) from 107 on the last hole… 45 yards right to left.

I "walked in" the first putt. My team felt I was really confident. In truth I thought I'd missed it, but it just fell in the high edge. I told them after the round about that one…

I made a few putts putting last. That was good.

We each had to use two drives from each of us. By the time we were through 10 holes, we'd done that. Not bad… 8 drives used in 10 holes. We actually went the first six using A, B, C, D, and then C and D again… before we had a repeat that didn't count. Six holes, six drives that all counted toward the two requirement.

We played well. When we needed a good shot, one of us would hit it. Except some of the par threes, and except for some of the tricky approach shots on par fours.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lost in the first round of League playoffs on the first extra hole.  A par 5 that he birdied and I parred.  I played the best golfer in the league (he has won the championship 3 out of the last 4 years and lost in the championship the other year).  Match play and I was getting  a stroke on 4 holes.

On hole #9 I was getting a stroke.  Opponent hit a huge push off the tee.  He hit a tree with his 2nd shot  so he had to get up and down for par from about 105 yards uphill mostly blind shot to force extra holes.  Dude stiffs it to about 5 feet and makes the putt.  Good on him, but come on!  How often does that even happen!!! :)  Up and down from 105 yards...

Competitive golf season is now over :(

Edited by Zekez

3 hours ago, Zekez said:

Lost in the first round of League playoffs on the first extra hole.  A par 5 that he birdied and I parred.  I played the best golfer in the league (he has won the championship 3 out of the last 4 years and lost in the championship the other year).  Match play and I was getting  a stroke on 4 holes.

On hole #9 I was getting a stroke.  Opponent hit a huge push off the tee.  He hit a tree with his 2nd shot  so he had to get up and down for par from about 105 yards uphill mostly blind shot to force extra holes.  Dude stiffs it to about 5 feet and makes the putt.  Good on him, but come on!  How often does that even happen!!! :)  Up and down from 105 yards...

Competitive golf season is now over :(

Not sure where exactly in SW Pa you are, but if youre free this weekend, we are doing a meetup in the columbus, OH area, the dennison course saturday might not be too far from you, a quick google maps shows 3 hours from Pittsburgh

Also,

Has anyone here participated in any of the Golfweek amateur tour events? I've been looking at it online and I think that is something I want to do next season. 

They have flighted stroke play based on handicaps and they have different groups all over the country.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Not sure where exactly in SW Pa you are, but if youre free this weekend, we are doing a meetup in the columbus, OH area, the dennison course saturday might not be too far from you, a quick google maps shows 3 hours from Pittsburgh

Also,

Has anyone here participated in any of the Golfweek amateur tour events? I've been looking at it online and I think that is something I want to do next season. 

They have flighted stroke play based on handicaps and they have different groups all over the country.

I haven't played in the Golfweek Am Tour, but have played a bunch in the Golf Channel Am Tour.  I think @Golfingdad has too.  Those things are a ton of fun and you'll meet a bunch of good people.  Highly recommended.  :beer:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Club Championship in 3 weeks.  36 holes stroke play.  Net and gross.  I'll play in the "old dudes" division.  

Goal is to shoot 158 or better, to net even par or better.  Gotta keep the doubles off the card.  That's always a huge challenge for me... :8)

In David's bag....

Couple of tournaments since my last post

1) Club championship match play. Won my semi-final 2/1, and now I'm going to the final! We are going to play it in a week or so

2) Club championship stroke play. 36 holes yesterday. I shot 80-81. Had good front nines in both rounds (+2 and E). My putter went cold in the first round and I made six bogeys on the back nine. In the second round I was going along nicely for the first 11 holes, but then made two triple bogeys in the last 7 holes, auch! Have to take the positives, I hit a lot of good shots and putting felt better in the second round. Today is the final round, I'm in 7th position. First 5 players are way ahead (scores from -10 (a touring pro!) to +7). Then there's a bunch of guys on positions 6-10 that have shot around 80-83 for the first two rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

My men's league is ending this next week. Right now I've had 4 34s (-2) for the low and a 42 high. The 42 was just a really bad day. Every other score was between 35 and 38. So, overall it was a good season. Our team finished 2nd. 

My goal this week is to get to 33. It shouldn't be hard, I just can't make any stupid mistakes. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!