IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

On 20.8.2017 at 10:32 AM, FinTurma said:

Couple of tournaments since my last post

1) Club championship match play. Won my semi-final 2/1, and now I'm going to the final! We are going to play it in a week or so

2) Club championship stroke play. 36 holes yesterday. I shot 80-81. Had good front nines in both rounds (+2 and E). My putter went cold in the first round and I made six bogeys on the back nine. In the second round I was going along nicely for the first 11 holes, but then made two triple bogeys in the last 7 holes, auch! Have to take the positives, I hit a lot of good shots and putting felt better in the second round. Today is the final round, I'm in 7th position. First 5 players are way ahead (scores from -10 (a touring pro!) to +7). Then there's a bunch of guys on positions 6-10 that have shot around 80-83 for the first two rounds.

Shot a 79 in the third round in my club championship strokeplay. So ended up with 80-81-79, 9th position. I was close to some really good rounds, but had too many troubles on the back nine. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had our Member-Member this previous weekend.  It's a flighted best-ball net.  First round was a bunch of meh...tried to play a little different when my partner was stroking and never got settled.  Second round was much better and stayed within myself.  Made one small setup change that made a big difference.  We played better but didn't score much better...mostly because we did not brother-in-law it at all.  We, unfortunately, birdied and bogeyed similar holes.

Fun, but frustrating.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Played the las mid-am of the year. Shoot 81-77, very dissapointed.

On Saturday my game arround the green save me from shooting even worst. Long game where off and putting it`s getting frustrating in the last months.

On Sunday i decided to play the majority of the shots with a power fade despite of my regular draw and long game was really good, hit 14 GIR and 4 nGIR. 2 of that 4 end up in a gimmie for par and the other 2 i leave me 6 footers for par. In a normal putting day at least i should shoot even par or better.
My putting... oh god.. i was desparate. I figured out speed on fast greens but this ones where fast and with big slopes making it hard to lag. I guess i loose 1 or 2 strokes there. 
But my main problem was inside 3-6 feet range. I only sunk 4 out of 10 trys. Tour average arround 80%. 4 strokes lost. Not a single birdie out of 14 attempts.

Lately my short putting it`s my big weakness, im not improving with my practice sessions, just getting worst.   

Played in a VSGA Event at Landsdowne Resort, the RTJ Course.

6,000 Yds 69.9/133

35-40-75 - 3 - 3 putts and 1 ball in the hazard, did have an eagle and 1 birdie.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

I won my club championship match play! Final was a tight match until I won holes 11,12,13 to go 3 up. We tied the rest of the way with pars and I ended up winning 3/2. Cool to get my first ever club championship :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

2 day club championship starts tomorrow.  Playing in the senior (55-70) division.  Goal is to shoot 160 or better to net even par or better.  

Course is still very wet from the hurricane and playing really long.  

We'll see...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just a reminder for everybody - no matter how bad you start, make sure you focus and still play well.

I make a 7 on my first hole in my tournament on Saturday. I fought back and played decently through the rest of the day. Finished with an 81, net 75. I actually came in first. The wind was up, and a lot of people struggled with it. I know I thought +4 on the first two holes was a fine start because of how they were playing with the wind. 

Either way, I was pretty surprised that I won. But it still shows that you never know what can happen, especially when conditions are tough. Don't turn one bad hole into several bad holes!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Played in the end of season Amateur circuit championship this past weekend. It ran 36 holes with Open Gross, Open Net, Senior Gross and Senior Net divisions (I'm senior net).

Didn't play well either day on a windy, linksland course. A few things I learned:

• Glad I played a practice round. Found out that it had bentgrass turf on greens and area surrounding the greens. This means the short-looking turf was grabby around the greens; you had to drop a chip-and-run on the green or risk a shot that landed like a dart. I had lots of stalled bump shots and short running wedges out of my system by end of practice day.
  • The wind was 30 mph on Saturday, 35 mph on Sunday. Guy I played with shot 15 shots lower the second day by using a 3H for all tee shots without a tailwind. He got inside 150 most of the time. // I had some solid driver shots, but others that got caught in the wind and I had hell to pay.
  • In funky weather, most people have a blow-up hole. In an Open Net threesome (better players than me) one got a 10 and a second got a 12 on Sunday. So, don't get down if you get a triple bogie.
  • Even though I didn't play well, it was fun. I got to be in the golf zone for 48 hours.
Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Played in a pro am yesterday, today, and i have another tomorrow. Yesterday was a 76 (+4) today was a 69 (-3). Full swing has been consistent enough. Today just had less mistakes, and I finally managed to sink a few putts. I must've had 20 putts in the last few days from 10-20ft and I made 3 at most. Tomorrow is at a course I know really well, so I'm hoping for the best. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a heaven and hell round today that tied me for second in low net for the club championship.

Gross score was 46 + 46 = 92, which netted out at -6 for the longer tees we played. Split the $80 second prize.

On the day I had 6 pars and 3 triple bogies, plus other adventures in between. Was +1 on the par 3 holes (3 pars and a bogie), and + 6 on the par 5s (a really frustrating day).

One par 5 was a triple B - nothing went right, and the other three were bogies after I smoked drives that made the green reachable in two. I landed two approaches pin-high left - airmailed a half wedge on one and muffed a greenside bunker shot on the other. The third, the drive landed in a hard spot and ran out loooong! I had 175 yard uphill shot... hit a 4H that painted the flagstick all the way - and flew the green by 10 yards! (Where did all that distance come from?)

Had 32 putts: six 1-putts and two 3-putts.

Before today, I had not hit a full shot since the Amateur circuit tourney three weeks ago. Just decided to go out and play and see what would happen. Probably won't play much more until Spring 2018.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Our club's B-Team won the No. VA Interclub year long event.  As such, today we are playing the winner of the Maryland Golf Association.  So going to play Argyle CC today and see if we can bring home the River Cup.  :beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

11 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Our club's B-Team won the No. VA Interclub year long event.  As such, today we are playing the winner of the Maryland Golf Association.  So going to play Argyle CC today and see if we can bring home the River Cup.  :beer:

Good luck!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Good luck!

We ended up winning the River Cup over Argyle CC  15 1/2 - 2 1/2 (the B-Team cup is to the left)

IMG_3633.thumb.JPG.e9c1d5d0605c6777a75d652ecc3782c0.JPG

:beer:

I ended up shooting 39-37-76 (Par 71) and my partner and I lost the front, won the back and overall so won - 2- 1

#no sixes - 13 Pars - 5 bogeys

4 5 5 4 4 4 3 5 5 - 39

5 4 5 3 4 5 4 4 4 - 37

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

-Jerry

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

We ended up winning the River Cup over Argyle CC  15 1/2 - 2 1/2 (the B-Team cup is to the left)

Congrats partner! Well played.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

8 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Congrats partner! Well played.

Thank you partner 

-Jerry

• 5 months later...

Our first "kinda" real tournament of the year starting this weekend,  2-day Board of Directors - Ringer Tournament.  Play the first day and then try and beat your score on the hole the next day.  

Always a fun event, even though you pick up on ht second day if you aren't going to beat your score from the previous day.

-Jerry

5 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Our first "kinda" real tournament of the year starting this weekend,  2-day Board of Directors - Ringer Tournament.  Play the first day and then try and beat your score on the hole the next day.  

Always a fun event, even though you pick up on ht second day if you aren't going to beat your score from the previous day.

Does this format lead to a lot of sandbagging?  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Does this format lead to a lot of sandbagging?  

I dont know how its formatted, but to minimize the sandbagging, it would make sense to me that for each hole you would just take your lowest score over the 2 days and make your 18 hole total? Or is that totally wrong @jsgolfer?

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV