IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

• 2 weeks later...

Played in my friends Member Guest, at Country Club of Fairfax, over the last 3 days.  We didn’t finish last in the flight, middle of the pack of 8 teams.  Greens were US Open ish, several holes you could putt off the green if you were in the wrong spot.  Scrapped it around OK, started really bad each day and then played well later in the day.  But my buddy may be the worst putter I’ve ever played with.  He four putted twice in 9 holes where he had to 3 putt to tie the hole.  I needed to video tape him so @iacas could use him for the this is how to not putt.  He forward presses, then lifts up his putter as he goes back and then accelerates through the ball, even on the down hill putts.  If he could putt, we probably would’ve won our flight because he hit the ball pretty well.

But it was fun and he’s a great guy, but whew can he not putt.  I tried to give him a lesson and he just couldn’t do it.  

Hopefully my partner for my member guest which starts this week will putt a hair better.  :beer:

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the first time in 3 years, I was able to navigate the family calendar and get approval to play in my men's club championship. Round 1 was this last Saturday and there was literally something in the air that day. Much like Shinnecock Hills, the winds in SoCal were fast and furious this Saturday, which led to some really high scores. Of the 20+ participants in our flight, there was only one "red" number, which is pretty incredible when you consider that it's a net flight. 

I shot a net 76 (gross 83), which puts me squarely in the middle of the pack. It was a disappointing result considering that I was playing some outstanding golf on the front 9, carding a gross 38 and birdieing the #1 handicap hole. 

But as often happens, I found a way to put up a big number when I least expected it. I hooked my tee shot into the driving range on hole 10 and doubled the next ball, for a lovely 9. From there, I traded pars and bogies to complete the back 9 in 45 strokes. 

On the bright side, I completed the "no sixes" challenge - save for my upside down 6 on hole number 10. Although I'm guessing that doesn't count.

Rounds 2/3 are this weekend. Hopefully I can play a bit better. If nothing else, keeping the "WTF?" shots to a minimum will be an accomplishment. I'm usually good for a couple of those per round.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My 3-Day Member Guest starts today.  Hopefully the game is better than it was at the last member guest I played.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I played in my second Elite Sports Amateur Golf Tournament event this past Saturday.

Shot 74. 3 birdies, 2 bogies and a Triple. Came in first place in the Senior Flight. Hit 8/18 GIR, 10/14 FW, 7/10 scrambling and 28 putts.

Iron game was not sharp. Putting and chipping were very good for me.

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Played a mid-am this weekend.
Saturday shoot 72(E), good driving day. Strong winds, wet fairways and 13°C. I was 2nd.
Sunday I played in the final group and shoot 84(+12), bad driving day. Little wind, wet fairways and 8°C.
Ended in the 16th position.

I´m making a lot of changes in my game so the lack of consistency it´s normal.
Next 54 holes mid-Am it´s in Buenos Aires Golf on September (Tiger played the world cup there in the 2000´s).I have a lot to work on.

Played in our club's 6th net tournament of 2018.  100 players age 50-94 in 4 flights.  An influx of younger and better players pushed me down to the "B" flight.  My game was shaky but I managed to scrape and grind to a 78 gross, 69 net.  I knew I was not going to win but though I might edge into the money (top 5 and ties, each flight).

The winner of our B Flight shot a 71 gross, 57 net.  He is a former good player that has had some hard times so while the USGA sets the odds for that score at 27,000 to 1, I know he is not sandbagging.

The good thing is that since I lost by 12 shots, I don't have to kick myself for 3-putting #8.  😉

Brian Kuehn

Played our three day member guest over the weekend.  Finished tied for 3rd, my partner and I just couldn't get it going Friday in the heavy rain and slow play.  We started our first round at 9 am and after a 2.5 hour delay before our second round, we finished at 8:15 pm.  Averaged about 3 hours per 9, good god are people slow.  Day two, we turned it around, but we lost to the eventual flight winners badly and could never catch up.   

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Club match play qualifier today.  18 holes stroke play.  90 players cut down to 32 to move on to match play.

Shot 76, net 68.  T-7.  Saved bogie out of the water on the  par-5 11th, and a silly double after a NGIR in the deep, green-side rough on 17.  Birdied the #1 hcp hole while watching my playing partner need to make a breaking 4 footer to “save” 10.  😱

Overall, a solid result for me.  On to match play...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Made it to the finals of our gross match play tournament.  Won 5&3.  One more match to go in mid-August.

Weird thing is that I felt like I struggled all day with the tee ball and ball striking in general but still hit half my fairways and 11 greens.  Shot a 72 (+1) with a couple birdies and a hole-out from 40 yards for eagle.  I had been hitting the ball really, really well but after a 10 day layoff for vacation I had some rust out there.

• Like 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Played in my 27th City of Ann Arbor Men's Championship the past 3 days. Field of 107.  I "lost" by 45 shots.  Tied for 50th at 252 (84,85,83).  Surprisingly to me, it was not so much the length of the course but my balky short game that sort of inflated my scores. 

Played with @criley4way the last day.  He hits a long ball and was disappointed in his results.  I was okay with the way I played for the most part other than my 4-putt from 20 feet on #8.  Grrrrrr!

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

14 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Played in my 27th City of Ann Arbor Men's Championship the past 3 days. Field of 107.  I "lost" by 45 shots.  Tied for 50th at 252 (84,85,83).  Surprisingly to me, it was not so much the length of the course but my balky short game that sort of inflated my scores. 

Played with @criley4way the last day.  He hits a long ball and was disappointed in his results.  I was okay with the way I played for the most part other than my 4-putt from 20 feet on #8.  Grrrrrr!

@bkuehn1952 It made it a really fun day playing with you and Andrew. I can't say I was happy with the outcome but the company was good. Looking forward to another round.

Played in a club tournament on the weekend. Posted a 76 (+4) on a pretty difficult course. Had 1 birdie and 5 bogies. Finally a round without a big number! Ended up posting the best scratch score, and got a bottle of whiskey for the win 😄

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

73 in a weekend tournament from the tips.  The course was playing much longer than usual since we've had a bunch of rain in the past couple weeks.  Most drives were only getting 5 yards of rollout at most.  Struggled a bit in mid-round with control of the driver and it cost me at least a couple shots.  Other than that I hit a bunch of greens (12/18) and it was very stress free thanks to missing in good spots and chipping the ball really well.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Kittyhawk Men's Association Club Championship, 3rd flight. Tied First

Saturday, Hawk Course, 97. Sunday, Eagle Course 96

What a weird little event this was. KHMA membership has dropped very suddenly. We had 32 golfers scattered across four flights and my flight lost one of our eight when he found out it was getting scored gross.

I really didn't play very well even for my low standards. Driver was again the biggest problem. The leader after Saturday was five strokes up. Another guy shot a 96. After one lousy par on the front nine on Sunday morning, I figured I was well out of it.

It started storming as we came down the 18th fairway on Sunday. We hole out just as the skies open up. After rushing back to the clubhouse and getting my beer, I find out Saturday's leader shot a 106 and I was tied with a guy named Mick who wanted absolutely no part of a playoff hole. He looked a bit relieved when I said I wouldn't press him on it.

Funny to think with all those shots, good and bad, it would end up like that.

Edited by mcanadiens

Shot a +2 74 in a tournament yesterday. It was a best ball, stableford scoring. I got 35 points by myself. My partner was actually a no show, so I got a blind draw and ended up finishing in second with 44 points.

It was pretty awesome to throw out such a good round. I was the low gross round of the day, playing from the back tees. The club championship is in 2 weeks, so that gives me some nice confidence going into that. It's also the lowest round I've ever had from the back tees at this course. Love doing that in a competition.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Playing Club Championship at my home course (Chaska Town Course) this weekend.   Pretty excited as its a pretty big tournament with big prizes.    But, most importantly, I have really turned a corner with my game over the past month or so, But there haven't been enough rounds with this new play to have a significant effect on my index.   (dropped from a 10.3 to a 9.9).    So, that said, my game/index combination is in a really good position to make some noise in the NET flight.   

my course handicap there will be a 12.   2-day 36 hole tournament.   Shooting 162 is not out of the realm of possibility.   -6 has got to make noise, right?

That said, I have't played in many tournaments at all.   And, I think this is my first NET tournament...   so, typically, does -3 per round make noise?   or, should I be expecting a bunch of 17 handicaps to throw up 85s and blow that out of the water?  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

First round of my league playoffs.  Round of 16.  Match play.  Singles.

I play the regular season champ who is the best golfer in the league so it will be a challenge. I will get a stroke on 3 holes.

The problem with him is that he is way too serious for this type of league.  He is no fun to play against.  Gets pissed and throws a club now and then.