David in FL

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Impressive.   Congrats!

2 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Congrats @klineka!

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Outstanding!  Congrats!

27 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Mind if I ask what your SGP was for the round?  Nicely done BTW. 

Thanks everyone! 

And @Shindig according to GameGolf, I gained 2.27 strokes over a scratch golfer, and 3.41 against a 5 handicap, and that was also includes lipping out a 4 foot par save too.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, klineka said:

Thanks everyone! 

And @Shindig according to GameGolf, I gained 2.27 strokes over a scratch golfer, and 3.41 against a 5 handicap, and that was also includes lipping out a 4 foot par save too.

Dang that's an impressive round putting.  Nicely done! :-)  

I've never seen gain over a scratch for myself.  I hope to one day.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...

First day of our club match play championship.  Legacy Club up in Lake Mary for @iacas, @mvmac, @MacDutch, and anyone else familiar...

Started with an 18 hole stroke play qualifier.  70 players cut to the top 32.  Made the cut with a stroke to spare with an 81 gross, 73 net, despite an 8, yep, an OCHO, on a relatively benign par-4, the result of playing a wrong ball, and then upon replaying correctly, banging the next shot into a penalty area...  :doh:

Despite  94° temps, we rolled right into the round of 32 matches after a quick lunch and seeding.  I managed to avoid a repeat snowman, and played pretty well despite the heat.  I shot 78 gross, 70 net, and won my match 3/2 against a pretty strong opponent who helped by stumbling a bit.

We continue with the round of 16 tomorrow morning, and then right into the round of 8 in the afternoon.  No rain tomorrow, but mid-90 temps again.  I think they’re trying to kill me!  

No real expectations.  Some very good players.  I’m glad to have made it to the round of 16.  From there, we’ll just have to see what happens tomorrow. Who knows, it’s match play after all and anything can happen...  

• Like 4

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

First day of our club match play championship.  Legacy Club up in Lake Mary for @iacas, @mvmac, @MacDutch, and anyone else familiar...

Started with an 18 hole stroke play qualifier.  70 players cut to the top 32.  Made the cut with a stroke to spare with an 81 gross, 73 net, despite an 8, yep, an OCHO, on a relatively benign par-4, the result of playing a wrong ball, and then upon replaying correctly, banging the next shot into a penalty area...  :doh:

Despite  94° temps, we rolled right into the round of 32 matches after a quick lunch and seeding.  I managed to avoid a repeat snowman, and played pretty well despite the heat.  I shot 78 gross, 70 net, and won my match 3/2 against a pretty strong opponent who helped by stumbling a bit.

We continue with the round of 16 tomorrow morning, and then right into the round of 8 in the afternoon.  No rain tomorrow, but mid-90 temps again.  I think they’re trying to kill me!  

No real expectations.  Some very good players.  I’m glad to have made it to the round of 16.  From there, we’ll just have to see what happens tomorrow. Who knows, it’s match play after all and anything can happen...  

The beauty of match play is you can play last year's club champ and both of you shoot 90 but you win 2 and 1.  Nobody knows the difference unless you had a gallery.  Tell the sports reporter for the local fishwrapper (fake fishwrapper?) that you both shot 68.

12 minutes ago, David in FL said:

David... I'm impressed you have the energy to even use a keyboard... after 36 hot holes.  Me, I'm in a cool shower and then down at the bar for a cool one.

Round of 16 in match play.  I got smoked, 3 and 2.  Played a plus 1 hcp and played poorly.  That’s a bad combination!  Even 7 strokes couldn’t save me from myself today.  Only hit 4 greens all day and managed to bogey all 4 par-5’s.   :8)

Another day of mid 90° temperatures.  I ran out of gas.  Ah well, time for a cold beer and all will be right with the world once again!  ;-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Our club runs a series of one day net tournaments through the Summer.  Typical field is 112 players split into 4 flights.  So far I have not played well with differentials of 9.9, 10.8, 11.1 and 12.0  A year ago I was a hero and this year a zero.  Sigh.

Brian Kuehn

• 4 weeks later...

Our most recent Club Tournament saw me post a Gross 79/Net 72. My good friend who may be a better player shot Gross 79/Net 70 to push me out of the money.  I need to talk to the Handicap Chairman ... wait ... that's me.  :facepalm

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typo
  • Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• 3 weeks later...

In this, my year of golfing hell, I thought long and hard about entering my club championship or not. Eventually I concluded it is better to suck than to be a chicken. 

We have a two-round championship at Kittyhawk. Eagle Course (longer) tomorrow. Hawk Course (more hazardous) on Sunday.

After a spot of work this morning, I'll have one last practice round this afternoon.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

In this, my year of golfing hell, I thought long and hard about entering my club championship or not. Eventually I concluded it is better to suck than to be a chicken. 

We have a two-round championship at Kittyhawk. Eagle Course (longer) tomorrow. Hawk Course (more hazardous) on Sunday.

After a spot of work this morning, I'll have one last practice round this afternoon.

Just relax and play your game. Go in with no expectations (positive or negative) and enjoy the day. DO NOT ABUSE YOURSELF!

- Shane

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Just relax and play your game. Go in with no expectations (positive or negative) and enjoy the day. DO NOT ABUSE YOURSELF!

Thanks. I almost think I might be closer to relaxing. Only so many tears can be cried in one season.

Actually managed to completely reverse the pull-slice into a push-hook on the range. What happens on the course, as always, may be different. 

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Good luck and have fun.

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

This ^

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Since I posted here, I suppose I owe you a result.

8th out of 12 in the 3rd flight of the Kittyhawk Men's Association Club Championship.

93-103

I suppose it is a fitting end to this golf season. Had a really nice back nine on Saturday and was really positive this morning. I started the second round in the lead group. Four behind the leader. Then I hit my tee shot into the left water hazard on Hawk No. 1 and never got on track. It wasn't one thing that caused me problems. It was everything. Driver through putter. For what little it is worth, I think I kept my temper ok under the circumstances.

Really, it may not have mattered much if I had played decent. The winner, a fellow named Harry Leedom, was very impressive. One of those guys that's played for 50 years, doesn't hit anything long, but never hits anything badly. He kicked everybody's ass.

Any way. I sort of glad the season is over. No more white tees. No more re-teeing. No more scoring unless I decide I want to . Wait till next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I forgot about this thread, so thanks to a couple people for bumping it. (Let's not mention the 90 I shot in a tournament a couple months ago.)

I played in the Connecticut Public Links Championship last week at Wintonbury Hills Golf Course north of Hartford. I ended up shooting an 81 to miss the cut, which was bittersweet. On one hand, I hit the ball great, and was -1 through six, so I gave myself a shot. On the other hand, I shot a 75 in a practice round, and I felt like I could do even better than that if I cleaned up a few mistakes. I'll walk through the round; you can click the links above to view my scorecard and the course's scorecard and a few overhead pictures.

The cut ended up being 73. I can certainly shoot +3 on any given day, but if I'm brutally honest with myself my game isn't good enough right now to expect to have shot a score like that on an unfamiliar course, at nearly 6700 yards, under pressure. That said, I think I hit it well enough where I could have come close if I cleaned up my putting and didn't make those strategical errors. 

1 (337-yard par-4): There are bunkers down the right side, but a bit of room left. My playing partners both laid up, but I went with a driver. (I should note that the course is set up such that there are bunkers on either one or both sides of the fairway at my landing area off the back tees on almost every hole, but my strategy going in was to be aggressive off the tee. I felt that the advantage of having shorter clubs into the tricky greens was great enough that I could accept being in a bunker every now and then, and I was hitting it well enough and long enough with my driver where I felt I could avoid most of them. It's debatable whether that was the right strategy - honestly, I play like that 90% of the time anyway - but through my practice round and tournament round the only time I hit a bunker was one 300+ off the tee that I only reached because it was downwind). I overcooked my drive about 5 yards too far left, and it bounced off the left edge of the fairway and into some rough a couple feet from the hazard. I had a good lie though, and 124 to the pin. Stuck a little flip pitching wedge to about seven feet, but missed the putt just short. I was extremely, unreasonably nervous the entire hole - I stuck my hand out at one to see how unsteady it was and it was frighteningly shaking - so while I was disappointed not to have the birdie I was glad to just move on. E

2 (365-yard par-4): Necked a drive badly out out to the right, but still in the fairway. I had a 9-iron to the green, but caught it a bit fat and it went into the further (from the green) of the two stacked greenside bunkers. Hit what was actually a pretty nice bunker shot to 10 feet considering the situation, and again left the putt just short. +1

3 (163-yard par-3): Had a soft PW from 128 (tees were up) downhill, downwind (though the wind was very mild at this point). Hit it about 10 feet long and five feet left, but it sucked back down off a slope to within a foot. Tapped in for birdie. Would have been a hell of a f***ing time for my first hole in one. E

4 (526-yard par-5): Nice driver down the middle of the fairway. 5 iron also down the middle of the fairway to about 60 yards. (All of the par-5s were within two-shot range, but they also all have pretty tight greenside areas, so I wasn't planning on going for any of them in two.) Caught a little too much on my LW, rolled out to about 15 feet past. Easy two-putt par. E

5 (333-yard par-4): The tees were up (probably to like 320) just enough so that the fairway bunker wasn't in play. I bombed a driver down to about hole high, but my pitch shot wouldn't bite (a common occurrence; the greens are pretty firm and were stimping a 10 early on and an 11 later in the round). Two putts for par from 10 feet. E

6 (430-yard par-4): Another awesome driver, this one into a slight breeze, left me with 135. The pin was perched just on top of a large slope, and both of my playing partners came up short, and the window to get it into the slope without going over the green was maybe like 10 feet, but my 9-iron felt perfect before I even pulled it out of the bag. Stuck it to two feet and tapped in for birdie. -1

7 (255-yard par-5): This is where my round fell apart. The tees were up at around 210, and the hole plays downhill. I haven't been a very good long iron player for the last few years, and though I was hitting them well in my range session before the round, I just didn't feel confident. In my practice round I tried a variety of shots - a soft 2-hybrid cut, a 4 iron right at the flag, 5-iron bailout short and right of the green - and none of them felt great. The shot I should have hit is the 4-iron at the green. If I hook it, it's in the lateral hazard and I drop. The shot I ended up hitting was the 2-hybrid, but I blocked it out to the right into some fescue grass that isn't a hazard. I figured it would be tough to find, so I hit a provisional - the 5-iron short and right, which settled just an inch from the top lip of a bunker, a good 30 yards short and right. When we couldn't find my first ball, I played the provisional, with a nice pitch to about 15 feet. I made the (pretty tricky) putt for double. This was a frustrating, completely unforced error on my part, but I felt at this point that I was hitting it well enough that I could make it up, and, hey, +1 through 7 ain't half bad. +1

8 (564-yard par-4): Solid-but-meh drive to the right side of the fairway, and another solid-but-meh 5-iron that just snuck into the right rough. I had a LW from about 95-yards, but made pretty poor contact, and it settled about a foot off the front. The pin was in front, so I only had 15 feet or so, but I hit just a god-awful putt. I thought it would break two feet right and it broke two feet left and just kept on rolling. I missed the eight-foot comebacker. +2

9 (190-yard par-3): I hit what felt like a nice 6-iron, but it took a wild bounce off the front of the green and into the greenside bunker on the right. After watching one of my playing partners take two out of the sand and then blade a chip, I chunked my sand shot into the rough short of the green. Hit a nice chip to a foot though. Tapped in for bogey. +3

10 (412-yard par-4); With a hazard down the right and the 18th fairway on the left, I used my "no slices" swing and promptly over-drew it into the 18th fairway. I only had 112 into the green, but I chunked a SW, then hit a crappy chip 12 feet past (another one that just kept rolling), then three-putted for a gross double. +5

11 (443-yard par-4): Hit an okay drive just short of the fairway bunkers. I only had 155 in, but I went with a 7-iron because it was pretty solidly uphill. Either there was more wind than I could feel (this is about when it started to get breezy) or I just nuked the thing, because it flew the green by 10 yards. I hit an awesome, awesome pitch shot to a foot. One of these where if I land it seven feet it's no good and if I land it nine feet it's no good, but I landed it just at eight feet and it was great. +5

12 (168-yard par-3): Playing 160 right at the pin, downhill, slightly into the wind. I thought 9-iron here was the play - during my practice round I hit a nice 8-iron into a further-back pin, and the wind wasn't quite blowing as much as it was during the practice round, so I felt like even if I juiced it too much I'd be fine. It flew the green by a foot or two, took a huge bounce off the downslope behind the green, and settled under a small tree, down a hill, a good 20 yards from the flag. I hit actually a really nice worm-burner 7-iron to get it into the green, but hit a terrible, terrible first putt, and couldn't make the second one. Another double. +7

13 (551-yard par-5): Great driver down the left side, and a 5-iron layup to about 70-yards. Awesome LW to 2 feet, tapped in for birdie. +6

14 (455-yard par-4): This was really my only loose driver of the round. The other times I missed the fairway it was either strategic (like on 10, or what you'll hear about on 18), or I only missed but a foot or two. But this was a duck-hook that barely went 200 yards. Thankfully, the rules official they had forecaddying found it right away, and I was able to pitch out to 110 yards. Pretty meh SW to the front of the green with the pin in the back. Another terrible first putt where the pin was on the edge of a slope and it caught the slope and carried it 10 feet away. Missed the comebacker. Another double. +8

15 (427-yard par-4): Hit my best driver of the day to 100 yards, but the rest of the hole followed the previous one. Meh SW to the front of the green with a back pin. Bad first putt, missed the comebacker. +9

16 (408-yard par-4): Another great driver, another meh SW, another mis-judged sloping first putt, another bogey. +10

17 (230-yard par-3): I finally hit the 4-iron that I should have hit on the seventh hole. A nice little baby draw put me on the front of the green with a back pin. Great lag putt to two feet, tapped in for par. +10

18 (414-yard par-4): With OB right at the 10th fairway left, I again drew my tee shot left into the adjacent fairway. The wind had started to pick up at this point, and with 171 to the flag directly into the wind I thought 6-iron was perfect. Again though, I must have nuked it, because it landed over the green and bounced down a hill. Hit a pretty decent pitch shot to eight feet, but I couldn't make the par putt. +11

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 4 months later...

The Florida State Golf Association runs an annual inter club tournament series every year.  Clubs play a weekly round robin of matches against other clubs in their area, playing  each other both away and at home.  Each club puts up 4, 2-man teams with handicaps spread between scratch/+ to about 12ish.  Local winners advance to regionals, and regional winners to state.  It’s a blast, and an opportunity for some fairly stiff competition.  Each man plays an individual match, and each team plays a 4-ball match against their assigned opponent team.  1 point is awarded per win with halves for ties.

I played for my club for the first time last year, and since the clubs tend to be pretty serious about doing well in these, I was pleased to be invited to do so again this year.  

We played our first match, at home, yesterday.  I did my part, kind of.  I shot a fairly pedestrian 1-birdie, 1-double 80, but it was good enough to win my individual match 3&2.  It wasn’t good enough to offset a bad day from my partner and a very strong 75 with 15 pars from his opponent in our 4-ball.  Our club won 6 1/2 to 5 1/2 though, so we’re off to a decent start.  Another match next week...

• Like 2

In David's bag....

• 2 weeks later...

Mid Am at Nordelta golf course (Buenos Aires, Argentina). Par 72, rating 73.5, 6800 yards.

83-77 (+16) not a good weekend at all.
It all went downhill on the 2nd hole of the tournament, making a 7 on a Par 3. 
Sitting at +8 on 8th tee i started a comeback with a couple of birdies to sit at +6 on the 14th tee. 
5 bogeys on the final 5 holes ended this bad day.
I didn´t play that bad to shoot in the 80´s but i did. 

On Sunday things started a lot better, +1 on the front 9 and was Even par at 14th. 
Again the last 5 holes didn´t go well and with 3 balls in the water i ended +5. 

The winner shot 1 under. So i need to cut 8 strokes from each round to have a chance of winning in this competitions. Not going to happend so.. just relax and have fun competing at top level. 

The only positive thing that I can take home is that the last time I played the course I shoot +20 in 2 rounds so is an improvement. There´s something about this course that keep kicking my ass every time i play there.    

Do high school matches count as tournaments? Im talking 9- and 18-hole matches.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

1 minute ago, dagolfer18 said:

Do high school matches count as tournaments? Im talking 9- and 18-hole matches.

If it's a tournament, we want to hear about it!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny