IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

Played in my men's club open tournament today (meaning anyone with GHIN can play). Shot a gross 76/net 69 for first place in the A Flight (net). Gross champion shot a 74, so just barely behind that. 

Off to a pretty good start in my men's club play this year!

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played in The Stoneleigh Golf & CC Member-Guest, not my best 5-9 hole rounds for sure.  Golf course just doesn't set up well for me, but I did win closest to pin in the practice round for $100, 9-iron to 4'4".  But shot 83 in practice round, then shot 40, 39,37, 42 & 38.  Just couldn't make a putt, course can drive you nuts if you get your ball on the wrong level.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played in my third tournament of the year on Saturday. Shot 37-37=74. Came in second by one shot.

Played at Links O Tryon in Campobello, SC  I haven’t play this course in about 7 years. I really like the layout and it was in great condition. They have changed the greens from bent to zoysia. They were firm and slower than I am used to.

Hit 13 GIR, 11/14 FWs, 33 putts.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 2017-5-30 at 8:45 AM, p1n9183 said:

I will be playing a mid-Am this weekend at Pilar Golf Club, Buenos Aires Argentina. 
Never played the course but afortunately the club made a hole by hole fly-over with a drone.
Here it is http://pilargolf.com.ar/golf/.
Here are yardages and rating of the course http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=28650.
I think we will be playing the blue and white course from the Champion tees. So 6800 yards, Par 72, rating around 72.

In Argentina is winter now so it´s cold and rainy. So I spect the ball fly less, lot of wind and no roll on fairways. Hard conditions but i play in them the last weeks at my home course. 

Goals for the tournament:

- No DBogeys or worst.

- Shoot 154(+10) or less.

Well i shoot 153 (+9) 78 - 75 with no DBogeys or worst so mission acomplish !! 

Good ball striking in general but my putter keep me from shooting good scores. 

Stroke Gained overall for the tournament: 
Driving: 2,8
Approach: 1,4
Around the green: 0,2
Putting: 7,1 !!! (Half inside 10 feet, and half outside)
Rating for a pro: -2,5

Total: 9

Greens were fast and the most sloped ones i`ve ever played but my playing partners sunk more putts than i do and score worst. 
Putting advice are welcome ! 

• Upvote 2

Signed up for the city men's tournament this year for the first time. Paid for already so there's no backing out. I don't expect to do all that well at all, but I really want to start working on getting more comfortable in competitions so that I can take part and hopefully do well in the future. At $50 for at least 2 rounds of golf it's not expensive at all so worse case scenario I just paid for two rounds of golf at the same price as it normally costs and I get out of work to play :-) 

Edited by Jeremie Boop
  • Upvote 3

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I still harbor some hopes of putting some kind of reasonable golf game together in time for my club championship in August.

This weekend was a small step in the right direction. The scores sucked, but I eventually put a ball in each hole for both rounds and that's a fair bit better than previous weeks have been. 

4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

This weekend me and my playing partner @canth  played the knock-out fase of our clubchampionship foursome. Our club has 1400 members but only the better players enter this championship. Handicaps of the contestants ranges from 9 to scratch, but the best two players (scratch and +1.5) did not enter.

First round we played we were slightly favourite, but the battle took us to hole 18 to win 1 up. We did not play well, also a bit because our opponents made a lot of mistakes, so we played taking the risk out of the game. 
Next round we played a strong team of two 4 handicappers. They had played the lights out during their first match that day and we were expecting a beating. This was a fight to the max. Chances turning by every stroke, we were one up after 9 and played a good match. At 17 we were still one up and had a far more better drive. But chances turned again, they made the pressure putt for par and all square at 18. 18 is a 210y par 3 over water and wind against. My drive was 12y from the pin and they missed the green. This time their pressure putt was from 6 yards, but again in the hole. Playoff!
We were in two on the green, they made a mistake and had to putt first from 14y for bogey and made the putt!!! Luckily my team mate holed his putt for par and victory for us.
Next day we had to play the number 1 seed who had been clubchampion foursome before (both also clubchampion strokeplay). So we were up against a team that was by far favourite to win the title. But they had to fight us and our form got better by every round. After 13 holes we were +2 in strokes and also 2 up. Than the dreadfull 14th most difficult par 5 on our course. Left side out of bounds or deadly bushes all the way, right side water all the way. But the pressure was on them and they failed. 3 up 4 to go, then 3 up 3 to go. At that moment the pressure got to us and we lost 2 holes in a row with bad golf, 1 up 1 to go. Again that 210y par 3 against the wind. It was heart warming when I hit my almost perfect shot on the green. Both players from the other team were applauding. Still the suspense did not end. They had to chip from under a tree, out of the rough to a downhill green and got the ball to 7y. The putt for par lipped the hole and we were going to play the final.
It was a big surprise reaching the final, but the biggest surprise was we did not have to play against the number 2 seed. We had beaten the number 1 seed, they had beaten the number 2 seed. Nobody had expected this.
During that final we were in the zone, even more then during the semi-final. I did not hit one bad shot, my partner had one when he had to hit out of a divot. I had one putt that was short and that was it. It was a nice 5&4 win. The first match we did not have to battle until hole 18.
What a weekend it has been. Never in my mind that me and my buddy could play that level of golf. Me as a sixty year old fart winning from all that flatbellies, can't get any better. :dance::banana::beer:
Read more  

Outstanding!

Congrats to you and Cornelia from Daron, me, and all the guys too!

:dance:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Outstanding!

Congrats to you and Cornelia from Daron, me, and all the guys too!

:dance:

Thanks David

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Thanks David

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

You and Cornelis both lookin' good!

Glad to see you're putting that cup to good use!

In David's bag....

This wednesday I will caddie our most promising clubmember, when he plays the first round of the Dutch national championship matchplay. First round is strokeplay to decide the cut and decide on pairings.

The guy I'm caddying is a former (youth) national rugby player, hits it like I've never seen before on amateur level. Yesterday he was 10th at the Dutch strokeplay championship. Last day at hole 16 (no chance to win anymore), he hits driver against the wind on a 370y par 4 and only 50y left to chip it to 3 feet. More next thursday :-)

IMG_1178.JPG

Edited by MacDutch
  • Upvote 2

Played in Round 2 of the local MAGA Amateur Circuit today. I played terrible. It was disappointing, because we played at Tamarack CC, my unofficial "home course" my first few years in the area.

Had trouble with tee shots in early going - problematic because my new driver has been my best club this spring. Spraying ball at first, then started getting high, straight short drives. Seemed to be scooping rather than staying down and through on shots.

Putting was good early, but then went bad... had six 3-putts on last 10 holes. That's 40 putts on the day, my worst in forever.

Only consolation - didn't lose a single ball.

Post-round I went to the practice green - found out I had the putter resting on ground on takeaway... floated head 1/8 inch above ground, and the backstroke was smoother and putts started to drop again. Too late to help today...

Still having distance control problems on wedges - I need to take a day and recalibrate them.) 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Played a practice round for the Member-Guest at National Golf Club in Fort Washington MD

6400 Yds    72.7/134

39-37-76

5 birdies, 1 double, 3-3putts

Course was in pretty good shape, greens were a little slow.

Won two skins, came in 2nd in the putting skills challenge and 2nd in the wedge play challenge.

3-9 hole matches start at 10 am.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

42 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Played a practice round for the Member-Guest at National Golf Club in Fort Washington MD

6400 Yds    72.7/134

39-37-76

5 birdies, 1 double, 3-3putts

Course was in pretty good shape, greens were a little slow.

Won two skins, came in 2nd in the putting skills challenge and 2nd in the wedge play challenge.

3-9 hole matches start at 10 am.  

Play well and good luck fellow East team member.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Played our 3-9 hole matches, Championship Flight

they played their matches different then I've ever done.

1st Match was a Shamble for 9 holes and we tied.

2nd Match was a four ball, we lost 1 down even though both my partner and I shot 38 and they shot 39/41 but their two birdies beat our 1 birdie

3rd match was modified alternate-shot, both tee off and then select best drive and alternate from there. We shot -1 and tied again. The other team started birdie, birdie and we were 2 down quickly. We birdied 9 to halve the match.

today is a fourball start and then an aggregate fourball match to finish. That could be interesting 

-Jerry

And I forgot he other odd part of the tournament, you play the tees based on your index. So not everyone played the same tees during the match.  As a 4.9 I play tiips, but my partner who is a 5.3 plays white tees.  400 yards difference. 

-Jerry

23 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

And I forgot he other odd part of the tournament, you play the tees based on your index. So not everyone played the same tees during the match.  As a 4.9 I play tiips, but my partner who is a 5.3 plays white tees.  400 yards difference. 

Our club does a lot of split tee tournaments too.

They at least adjust handicaps for the split, right?

In David's bag....

Yeah, you would get an extra stroke if you played tips but I would've given that up for the 400 yards.  One par 3 was 230 from tips and 190 from white. All par 5's except one hole are reachable in 2 from whites and not from blues.  

We ended up tied for both matches again, my partner 3 putted from 11 feet to tie one match and then I 3-putted from 30 feet on last hole to tie. Ugh!

-Jerry