IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

A couple of updates.  First, I won our Club Championship a couple weekends ago.  I played very steady for the first 27 holes and built myself a 7 shot lead going into the last 9.  Proceeded to make a quad (first one in a while) on 10.  Even after that I was calm and kept the lead and ended up winning by three.  Funny thing is that I haven't really enjoyed it because of how bad I played on the back 9...I hadn't made bad swings like that in a long time and it really ticked me off.  I'm working to make sure that doesn't happen in the match-play championship this Saturday.  Would be fun to pull the double!

Also, I played out at Pebble (and Spanish Bay) last weekend with a buddy of mine that we qualified for.  We finished in the top third...gave a ton of shots away in our first round but played much better the second day.  Even if we would have gotten rid of those bad swings we still wouldn't have won but probably been top 5.  It was a great experience though.  Pebble is the most picturesque and well conditioned golf course I've ever been on.  I've been to #2 and Kiawah but Pebble is in a different category because of the surroundings.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on the win!

Especially for hanging tough after the quad!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Congrats on the win!

Especially for hanging tough after the quad!

Thanks...like I said, I'm still a bit miffed.  But, I had finished second the last four times!  At least I'm no longer the first loser.  😄

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

On 9/10/2018 at 1:05 PM, p1n9183 said:

In 2 weeks i have the national mid-Am at Buenos Aires Golf, one of the best golf courses in the country. 54 holes stroke play with a cut after 36 holes.    

Buena suerte en la semana proxima...!

In David's bag....

On 9/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Well folks, I'm playing in the Ithaca City Golf Championship at Newman Golf Course. I played terrible in the qualifying round last Saturday. So I'm in the third flight of the match play portion.

I won my match on Sunday the 26th, 4 and 3 over the #2 seed (I'm the #7 seed). 

Today, I won my match over the #6 seed... 7 and 6...

I play the #1 seed for the Flight Championship tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Well I lost 7 and 6. I played possibly the worst 6 holes of the year and never really recovered. When I played my game, I would make par and still lose the hole. Oh well. I had fun. Always next year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Played in the NoVA Sr Scratch finals today, Springfield beat Loudoun CC 6.5-2.5.  Champions for the league.  :beer:

My partner and I won 2.5-.5, for those who don’t know me, I’m the one in the white shirt on the left. :dance:

2981B09D-F576-4D4B-9A6F-4C13FFA8AF16.thumb.jpeg.56c96155a14a3c95a3536be93c150ef5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played the first round of our two day Fourball tournament today. My partner and I shot 65 gross 64 net. I shot 67 on my own ball, my partner shot 73 (he is a 3 handicap). Even with both of us shooting good scores our resident sandbagger in our association and his partner managed to shoot 61. It's getting hard to want to even play in tournaments anymore because of all the sandbaggers. With a zero handicap I have no chance.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Mid Am at Buenos Aires golf. 54 Holes stroke play. 82-78-80 (+24) 45th place.

1st day I played consistently bad. 2 OB and 1 water. This course is really hard and with a lot of holes that have penalty areas on both sides of the fairway. I played without a go to shot so i suffered a lot from the tee box in this kind of holes.

2nd day I played really well, hit GIR on the first 12 holes and holed from outside the green on 13th for birdie. Nevertheless at that point i was +1 for the round (4 green with 3 putts ough..). Till the end really strong gust started to make me miss all the greens to end +5 in the last 5 holes.. Lucky for me the cut was 165 so with my 160 i have another chance on sunday to play better.

3rd and last round i played even better but my putter never helped me. I was 1 under on the 12th tee after a missed 6 footer for eagle on 6th, a bogey on 9th and a few short birdie putts missed. 
On 12th hole.... water rigth.. OB left.. no margin of error. I didn´t know what to hit, i went with the driver and hit it OB left. 3rd shot with my hybrid to the water rigth. It never crossed the margin so i have to drop 300 yards from the green.
5th shot to the 100 yards mark. The green have water infront and in the right. hit the ground with my wedge and hit my 6th shot in the water. 8th from the drop area to the green and 2 putts for 10....... The cost of not having a go to shot. After that i started to practice my old go to shot (high cut fade from the tee) and i hit every fairway.. even the ones with OB left and water rigth on holes 15,17 and 18.

Bad result but played the best course in Argentina so i was happy either way.  need to recover my go to shot and practice a little more putting, short ones and long putts in really fast greens.

The next one is on November, the historical Tailhade Cup at Lagartos Country Club, an international tournament. 

Won low gross in our club's Fourball tournament I shot 67-69 (-8). My team score was 66-66 (-12). I made 7 birdies in the second round. We played really well, but got smoked in the net division which pays better.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• 5 weeks later...

Have our final tournament, Greens-keeper Revenge, of the year this Saturday.  Weather is looking bad for it though.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

This last week i played the 2018 Tailhade Cup in "Los Lagartos Country Club" Buenos Aires Argentina. Each country sends 2 amateur players for a 72 holes competition, aggregate style. Beside this tournament you can play the individual scratch or below 4 handicap category with the same field.

There were 28 international players (USA didn´t provide a team) and 80 argentine players below 4 handicap. This is the most important tournament for amateurs in Argentina so the best players where there.

The course desing it´s the classic tree lined fairways. Par 70, rating 72 and around 6700 yards from the tips.

1st round: i started poorly with 42(+7) on the front 9. Changed my swing on 10th hole and finished 78(+8) tied for the 80th place.

2nd round: i keep the good pace and shoot 73(+3) with 14 GIR but 34 putts to be tied for 60th place. Unfortunately i missed the cut in the scratch category by 2 strokes but i made the cut in the below 4 handicap category were i was tied for 15th place with 3 handicap.

3rd round: Played incredible well but like in all the tournament i missed every putt outside 6 feet for a 70(even) and tied for 4th place with handicap. I made 4 birdies, all of them inside 4 feet and missed 5 birdie oportunities inside 6 to 10 feet. A few of them almost went in for eagle. Amazing ball striking day.

4th round: played poorly again for another 78(+8) and a tied for 7th place in the handicap category. Winner endead with 273(-7) net.

299(+19) Total. and 287(+7) with handicap.

Argentina won the cup with an aggregate score of 560 (even) by 12 strokes. 2nd Ireland and 3rd Germany.
The scratch category was won by another argentinian with 277(-3).

I played a lot better than in my last few months. After the tournament I instantly lowered my handicap to 2.

Really need to work on putting and irons, but i´m really happy with my game despite i didn´t practice at all this year.

• Upvote 1

Shot 72-73 last two days in the SCGA Four-ball. On a tough course with small, fast greens. Mud ball on almost every hole. Team score was 71-71, so not much help from my partner lol  We finished t-27th out of 50 teams. Individually I had one of the lower scores, some of the best players in SoCal played in the event. So it was good to end the year on a positive note.

Good for me on this course, 72 feels like a 68 on my home course. And obviously good to do it in competition. Which except for this tournament and the qualifier for this tournament, it’s been a bit of a struggle with the scoring aspect. Have had rounds where I hit the ball fine and find wacky ways to shoot 75’s and 76’s.

Only made two birdies yesterday and two today. Gave myself several good chances and was too tentative with the strokes. Some were for good reason. I had two birdie putts yesterday from 5/6ft that I barely made contact with and they went 3ft by.

Today I was one under and hit a bad drive on 15, ended up making a double, my partner also doubled the hole 🤨But hung in there and finished with some good pars.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Day one of our 36 hole club championship.  Playing in open flight rather than the senior.   82 with 2 doubles and a triple.  :doh:  One birdie.   

Horrible ball-striking day.  I only hit 3 greens all day.  Actually chipped and putted reasonably well.   I was paired with 2 guys who shot 107 and 92.  It shouldn’t have affected me, but it did.  

T-8 gross and net.  Need a really good day tomorrow, and also need some help from those ahead of me.  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

• iacas changed the title to The TST Member Tournament Play Thread
43 minutes ago, klineka said:

Just won my first tournament ever! It was called The Players Tournament and was with the Central Ohio Golf Club.

Shot a gross 78, net 68 (-4) to win by 3 shots. 

Putter was hot today, only 25 putts and no 3 putts

I got off to a fast start, made a 25 footer on the 1st hole for birdie, shot a 38 (+2) on the front 9. Topped my second shot on 14 into the hazard (had a terrible lie in a divot in the rough) en route to an 8.  After bogeying 15, I was in a 4 way tie at the top.

I then hit my approach to 8 feet on 16, made the putt for birdie (net eagle) then on 17 I had about 15 feet to the pin and I was about an inch or two in the fringe below the hole, made that for my 5th birdie of the day. Parred 18 to close it out.

Really proud of myself for how I finished down the stretch and bounced back after the 8, I was completely dialed in and hit my last 3 fairways, and was about an inch on 17 from hitting my last three GIR too.

127070.jpeg

2617579_XLWDicLh.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Impressive.   Congrats!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Just won my first tournament ever! It was called The Players Tournament and was with the Central Ohio Golf Club.

I got off to a fast start, made a 25 footer on the 1st hole for birdie, shot a 38 (+2) on the front 9. Topped my second shot on 14 into the hazard (had a terrible lie in a divot in the rough) en route to an 8.  After bogeying 15, I was in a 4 way tie at the top.

I then hit my approach to 8 feet on 16, made the putt for birdie (net eagle) then on 17 I had about 15 feet to the pin and I was about an inch or two in the fringe below the hole, made that for my 5th birdie of the day. Parred 18 to close it out.

Really proud of myself for how I finished down the stretch and bounced back after the 8, I was completely dialed in and hit my last 3 fairways, and was about an inch on 17 from hitting my last three GIR too.

127070.jpeg

2617579_XLWDicLh.png

Congrats @klineka!

2 hours ago, klineka said:

127070.jpeg

2617579_XLWDicLh.png

Outstanding!  Congrats!

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Day one of our 36 hole club championship.  Playing in open flight rather than the senior.   82 with 2 doubles and a triple.  :doh:  One birdie.   

Horrible ball-striking day.  I only hit 3 greens all day.  Actually chipped and putted reasonably well.   I was paired with 2 guys who shot 107 and 92.  It shouldn’t have affected me, but it did.  

T-8 gross and net.  Need a really good day tomorrow, and also need some help from those ahead of me.  

Sadly, I didn’t do as well!  45/38 today with 2 more doubles and another triple.  Like yesterday, a single birdie, but at least this one held up for a skin.  

Finished T-8 gross and 7th net.  

Next up, match play qualifier, followed hopefully by the tournament...

In David's bag....

3 hours ago, klineka said:

Mind if I ask what your SGP was for the round?  Nicely done BTW. 

57 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Next up, match play qualifier, followed hopefully by the tournament...

You and me both.  Wishing you the best in your qualifier. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.