IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

Regional tournament is this coming Tuesday at one of my home courses. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, especially since I got new grips on my irons and a brand new USA Ryder Cup Super Stroke 1.0 on my putter. I'm looking forward to hopefully winning as a team, now that we only take 3 scores instead of four (our top 3 are good, but the next best scoring average is 92.5 which hurt us during the league matches).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played the best round of my life in today's tournament. I shot a 73, which bested my previous low round by 3 strokes. I was aided on the front 9 by a par-par-birdie-eagle start and made the turn in 34 (also a personal best). I struggled a bit to open the back, bogeying 5 of the next 6 holes, but closed with 2 birdies on 16 & 18 to card a rather astonishing net 63. I made my fair share of medium length putts, including a critical (in retrospect) 10 footer for bogey on the 13th to salvage what had been an atrocious hole to that point. But I also 3 putted twice, so there were still a few strokes left out there. Really there isn't much to say other than it was one of those once in a lifetime rounds that keeps you coming back. But there is no better feeling than playing your best golf in a tournament.

Played the best round of my life in today's tournament. I shot a 73, which bested my previous low round by 3 strokes. I was aided on the front 9 by a par-par-birdie-eagle start and made the turn in 34 (also a personal best). I struggled a bit to open the back, bogeying 5 of the next 6 holes, but closed with 2 birdies on 16 & 18 to card a rather astonishing net 63. I made my fair share of medium length putts, including a critical (in retrospect) 10 footer for bogey on the 13th to salvage what had been an atrocious hole to that point. But I also 3 putted twice, so there were still a few strokes left out there. Really there isn't much to say other than it was one of those once in a lifetime rounds that keeps you coming back. But there is no better feeling than playing your best golf in a tournament.

Outstanding, congratulations!  What kind of tournament?  Did you win it?  Need pics of the hardware!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Pics?

Sorry, no hardware to take pics of.  I know there'll be a lot of disappointment, but you don't get to bask in the glorious presence of the Lake County Senior Amateur (A Flight) champion this morning. ;-)

Shot 79.  I played with the flight winner, who shot 76 gross, off of a 9 hcp.  No sandbagger though, he just made everything he looked at, and jarred an eagle from 80 yards out on 9.

I really only hit 3 bad shots all day, though plenty were of the mediocre variety.  2 penalties, one in a hazard with a 9-iron in my hand, and one drive OB.  My goal was to shoot my handicap, but I missed by about 3 strokes......directly attributable to the aforementioned bad swings.  Side gross skins game, my one birdie was cut, and I missed a 5 footer for birdie that would've stood up.

Lots of fun.  My first tournament in a while, and I'm already looking for another one to sign up for.

In David's bag....

We have a Ryder Cup tournament this weekend for my men's club. I'm pretty excited for it. There are going to be 2 teams of 16 players each. We're playing 27 holes, 9 alternate shot, 9 fourball, 9 individual match play. The nine set up pretty well for me. The nine that is most dangerous for me is fourball. My best nine is the individual match play. There's only one scary shot on the nine with the alternate shot.

We're having the draft on Friday night to select teams. They put out a list of top 3 finishes, and I have the most top 3 finishes with 5. Good thing they didn't publish the DFL (broke 100 ... and not in a good way) I had or my early flame out in match play. I'm guessing I'll likely be the second or third pick. The club champ also won the gross match play this year, so I'm guessing he'll go first. Then, there's another player with 4 top 3s, but that includes match play. I'm guessing the second pick will be between me and him.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Outstanding, congratulations!  What kind of tournament?  Did you win it?  Need pics of the hardware!

Thanks! No hardware for this one - only the club championship in June earns a trophy.

This was a partner event, and unfortunately my partner did not have one of his better days. We were one of the first groups out that morning (there will still groups teeing off by the time we completed our round), and I did not stay to discover the outcome. Based on last years results, I imagine we will come in between 2nd and 4th in our flight, which will earn a bit of $$$ however.

4A Regional tournament is tomorrow at a course I really like. I'm looking forward to it after practice rounds of +3, E, and +1 the last three days. -2 or -3 should end up winning it, which is not out of the realm of possibility if I make some longer putts and hit the greens like I have been all week.

4A Regional tournament is tomorrow at a course I really like. I'm looking forward to it after practice rounds of +3, E, and +1 the last three days. -2 or -3 should end up winning it, which is not out of the realm of possibility if I make some longer putts and hit the greens like I have been all week.

Good luck!

In David's bag....

Is Valor Christian in your regional? I know the golf coach at Evergreen, which is in 4A, and he was telling me how Valor has 4 golfers who could all shoot in the 60s on a given day. That would be fun to watch.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Is Valor Christian in your regional? I know the golf coach at Evergreen, which is in 4A, and he was telling me how Valor has 4 golfers who could all shoot in the 60s on a given day. That would be fun to watch.

Valor isn't in our region, but we've placed second to them at state the last two years (and beat them three years ago). I shot a +2 74 and tied for 4th in the region, with our team winning it by 2 strokes over Windsor. Still awaiting more groups (I teed off 2.5 hours before the last group) to come in before we know if our 4th man can come to state with us. He has to be within 10 of the cut line as a member of the winning team to compete, the projected cut is 85, and he shot 95 on the number. I'm very happy with that number after going +4 through 8. I screwed my head on straight after that and birdied 9 from 50 feet and shot the only under par 9 by going 1 under on the back for my eventual total.

Ute Creek right. Were the greens scabbed up? I was there a couple weeks ago and it was in pretty rough shape.

They weren't great. I know I missed three putts (two birdies and one par) that can directly be attributed to a ball mark on my line near the hole (I couldn't completely fix the old ones). They did try to put pins in the cleaner areas of the greens though . I'll add pictures of the trophy/ribbons in a bit.

Sorry to take up so many posts, but it won't let me edit my previous one to add to it.

Here's the trophy/plaque we got:

Here was the overall team score we had that won it (the player who shot an 80 3-putted for 8 on the final hole, a par 4)

As an interesting aside, and a little bonus, I believe I was the only person to post a sub-par 9 hole total in the whole tournament. Kind of a nice feeling, even though I missed an 8 foot birdie and three putted for a bogey on the back nine. The person above me who shot 72 tied for first and went into a playoff for it.

We were the only team to wear slacks today, and our #1 player chose black slacks with a dark maroon shirt to be worn. Considering that today was the hottest day in about two weeks, it felt like a sauna out there today. We did look good when we won though at least, and we'll be headed off to state (September 29 and 30 in Pueblo) with a recent win fresh in our minds.

Great job Tyler, congratulations! :dance:

In David's bag....

Sorry to take up so many posts, but it won't let me edit my previous one to add to it. Here's the trophy/plaque we got: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105998/] [/URL] Here was the overall team score we had that won it (the player who shot an 80 3-putted for 8 on the final hole, a par 4) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105997/] [/URL] As an interesting aside, and a little bonus, I believe I was the only person to post a sub-par 9 hole total in the whole tournament. Kind of a nice feeling, even though I missed an 8 foot birdie and three putted for a bogey on the back nine. The person above me who shot 72 tied for first and went into a playoff for it. We were the only team to wear slacks today, and our #1 player chose black slacks with a dark maroon shirt to be worn. Considering that today was the hottest day in about two weeks, it felt like a sauna out there today. We did look good when we won though at least, and we'll be headed off to state (September 29 and 30 in Pueblo) with a recent win fresh in our minds.

Nice job Pretzel, congrats!!! Good luck at state too, and keep us posted!!!

Sorry to take up so many posts, but it won't let me edit my previous one to add to it. Here's the trophy/plaque we got: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105998/] [/URL] Here was the overall team score we had that won it (the player who shot an 80 3-putted for 8 on the final hole, a par 4) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/105997/] [/URL] As an interesting aside, and a little bonus, I believe I was the only person to post a sub-par 9 hole total in the whole tournament. Kind of a nice feeling, even though I missed an 8 foot birdie and three putted for a bogey on the back nine. The person above me who shot 72 tied for first and went into a playoff for it. We were the only team to wear slacks today, and our #1 player chose black slacks with a dark maroon shirt to be worn. Considering that today was the hottest day in about two weeks, it felt like a sauna out there today. We did look good when we won though at least, and we'll be headed off to state (September 29 and 30 in Pueblo) with a recent win fresh in our minds.

Niiiice homie.

Riley