IGNORED

Pop at impact while putting.

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have noticed that when I give the ball a little pop just at impact with my wrists, the ball seems to go straighter toward where I want it to go and I have better distance control. Is this a bad habit that is going to keep me from getting better, or is this an OK way to putt?

I used to do the same thing and felt that I had good control over my line and pace as well. I was wrong. I changed my putting stroke this year and got away from the "pop" stroke and drastically reduced 3 putts. It felt like it was working until I started using my current stroke. I would encourage you to practice more of a swinging gate method. SO much easier to control.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To expand, here is an example that made it clear for me: imagine you are tossing a soft ball into a basket (like the game at the fair). What would be easier? A pulling your arm back under hand a little ways and give the ball a quick little pitch? Or drawing your arm back in a smooth motion and releasing the ball toward the basket. Now the basket gets further away. Do you pull your arm back a little ways and give it a harder little under hand pitch? Or draw your arm back a little further with the same speed as before and have a longer follow through. That's the mental picture that helped me change my stroke. Hope this made sense.
  • Upvote 2

• Administrator

Here's a great thread to check out:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I was "popping" my putts early in the season somewhat like Snedecker style but I didnt feel comfortable later on, maybe greens faster?  I like to feel more a "tapping" motion like Rory style putting now.

For inside 8 feet I like to feel no tapping or popping. I like to hold the putter with my thumb muscles only and move  like a pendulum stroking action .

Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!