IGNORED

Dick's out of the golf business all together?

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently worked for a company that sold products to Dick's, and in my experience, a more appropriately named company has never existed. We supplied outdoor stuff like game vests and fishing vests, some camo. Very difficult people to work with. Short-paid invoices all the time for such offenses as the coat hangers not being all turned in the same direction in the box, or the font on the label was not a preferred font. I don't know what the typical retail markup is, but I know they sell a fishing vest at $35 that we charged them less than $7 for. I can only assume their markup on golf equipment/apparel is at a similar rate. Might be even higher, given that golf has always had the rep of being a sport for the affluent.

But the golf situation at Dick's isn't a worry for me anyway. I was never going to do business with those people.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Hmmmm, maybe Dicks isn't doing well in the golf market because you can find the same equipment for about half the price on ebay or other golf outlets online.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

Hmmmm, maybe Dicks isn't doing well in the golf market because you can find the same equipment for about half the price on ebay or other golf outlets online.

I've gone down that route and the problem I find is that for recent models I don't find too much of a difference to get the shaft, loft and specs from a retailer offering new than on eBay, To contrast, I did some cursory searching for the latest titleist driver and while you can find a discount on clubs in good condition, it wasn't enough to get a known new one w/o concern of counterfeit from the secondary market. But titleist has a much longer product cycle. What Dicks predominately had were shorter cycle clubs with multiple clubs per year. That's why it doesn't pay to shop there. When I bought my current driver it was 1.5 years on the market and from eBay, The eBay price was better than the discounted Dicks price by enough to go to eBay, Introduce too short product cycles and that will happen.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live about 5-10 minutes from a Dick's, 25 from Golf Galaxy, 40 from Golfsmith..... I have been doing more shopping at Golfsmith lately. I bought a Dozen Titleist NXT Tours from Dick's well out with wife. We went to Target after Dick's.... yep, $4 cheaper a dozen AT TARGET! I have never bought a single club from Dick's, the only thing I ever bought was gloves and balls..... and now that will be ending.

• Administrator

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Golf is getting what it deserves! From companies to courses. All these years of acting like they were on such a high horse with elitist courses, attitudes, and a general not giving a f*ck  about people who don't fit into those categories.

Uhm… okay then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Golf is getting what it deserves! From companies to courses. All these years of acting like they were on such a high horse with elitist courses, attitudes, and a general not giving a f*ck  about people who don't fit into those categories. Yet its the everyday people that buy rounds of golf on many different courses. Buy the equipment. Yet golf still is thought of as a posh ritzy game that is played in country clubs and even smaller muni courses forget who it is giving them money and generally try and over charge for basically nothing.

Sometimes I think it would be better if ever company, course and tour just shut down completely. Burn it down in order to build it up once again. and maybe game the game a face lift starting with the USGA and the R&A.;

Uhm… okay then.

It sounds like you want to say a little more or strongly disagree with what I have to say. Maybe cause you only quoted the first 2 sentences? conveniently leaving out the parts about how in general the everyday Joe Shmoe golfer has been screwed...maybe you think that it really does cost $500 for a driver Maybe you think 5+ hours for a round of golf is normal Maybe you think $250 for a round is cheap or memberships that cost $10,000 a year with $25,000 shares is affordable for most. I'm not the one closing down courses or having companies forced to sell cause they can't compete with the bigger companies. I didn't tell everyone to stop playing golf. It just happened! and if you think the game of golf is doing just fine then you are seriously mistaken and very sheltered. But by quoting and responding with something as mindless as Uhm...okay then doesn't say much as how you weigh in on the topic

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I  It sounds like you want to say a little more or strongly disagree with what I have to say. Maybe cause you only quoted the first 2 sentences? conveniently leaving out the parts about how in general the everyday Joe Shmoe golfer has been screwed...maybe you think that it really does cost $500 for a driver Maybe you think 5+ hours for a round of golf is normal Maybe you think $250 for a round is cheap or memberships that cost $10,000 a year with $25,000 shares is affordable for most. I'm not the one closing down courses or having companies forced to sell cause they can't compete with the bigger companies. I didn't tell everyone to stop playing golf. It just happened! and if you think the game of golf is doing just fine then you are seriously mistaken and very sheltered. But by quoting and responding with something as mindless as Uhm...okay then doesn't say much as how you weigh in on the topic

OK then.

• Administrator

conveniently leaving out the parts about how in general the everyday Joe Shmoe golfer has been screwed

I disagree.

maybe you think that it really does cost $500 for a driver

I disagree that the average golfer needs to spend $500 on a driver. Many can be found for $400, $300, or even less, particularly if you wait for a year or less.

Maybe you think 5+ hours for a round of golf is normal

I regularly play on a difficult course in well under five.

Maybe you think $250 for a round is cheap

We played recently on one of the best public courses in PA for $50. On the weekend.

memberships that cost $10,000 a year with $25,000 shares is affordable for most.

Local country clubs cost $3k or so per year.

Basically, I objected to your massive and sweeping generalizations about how the average golfer's gotten screwed. I don't think that's really been the case at all. In some cases, sure. But they also have other options available to them. They don't have to join the expensive country club. They can play a muni that's < $250. They don't have to buy a new driver every year. Etc.

I didn't tell everyone to stop playing golf. It just happened!

Hyperbole doesn't really work very well. Everyone stopped playing golf?

and if you think the game of golf is doing just fine then you are seriously mistaken and very sheltered.

I think you're being overly dramatic. I never said I think "golf is doing just fine."

You assume a lot…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I

It sounds like you want to say a little more or strongly disagree with what I have to say. Maybe cause you only quoted the first 2 sentences? conveniently leaving out the parts about how in general the everyday Joe Shmoe golfer has been screwed...maybe you think that it really does cost $500 for a driver Maybe you think 5+ hours for a round of golf is normal Maybe you think $250 for a round is cheap or memberships that cost $10,000 a year with $25,000 shares is affordable for most. I'm not the one closing down courses or having companies forced to sell cause they can't compete with the bigger companies. I didn't tell everyone to stop playing golf. It just happened! and if you think the game of golf is doing just fine then you are seriously mistaken and very sheltered. But by quoting and responding with something as mindless as Uhm...okay then doesn't say much as how you weigh in on the topic

Check out Global Golf or other used club retailers online. I can get a 2 year old river for under 200 dollars.

Takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours to play a round of golf. I have NEVER had a round over 5 hours. I played in a scramble with every hole doubled up (36 teams), still got it done in under 5 hours.

I usually pay 24 bucks a round at my local muni, on average probably 45-60 dollars at other courses, and that includes a cart.

I know a few courses around here that offer memberships for under 5000 dollars a year.

Golf is shrinking it happens. Golf courses that can't compete go away, it happens. Its called running a business. All the generalizations you have said are FALSE!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I rarely shopped at Dick's simply because their prices weren't that great. Did get some shoes and some other sale items from time to time. I really avoided Golf Galaxy. Made a couple of trips there for items and simply couldn't get anyone to help me. At one of the other "big box" retailers the staff seems anxious to help. Guess who gets my business.

I'm going to play Innisbrook Copperhead course for $55. It's one of the best courses in Florida, period. Hosted the NCAA's during Phil Mickelson's senior year.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Can't say I'm that disappointed. I bought a pair of spikes at Dick's once, but never any clubs. I won't really be sad to see them go. It seems like a market overcorrection, though it's also possible that having a fully-stocked superstore in every Dick's was overly unsustainable the other way. [quote name="Grndslmhttr3" url="/t/76663/dicks-out-of-the-golf-business-all-together/0_30#post_1043458"]Am I a bad person for trying shoes on in their store and then ordering them off of Amazon? This is all my fault, isn't it?[/quote] I know you're being sarcastic, but if you go to Dick's, take up an employee's time, and then buy the same thing elsewhere, to me (I, personally) think that would make you a bit of a dick.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Check out Global Golf or other used club retailers online. I can get a 2 year old river for under 200 dollars.

Takes me about 3.5 to 4.5 hours to play a round of golf. I have NEVER had a round over 5 hours. I played in a scramble with every hole doubled up (36 teams), still got it done in under 5 hours.

I usually pay 24 bucks a round at my local muni, on average probably 45-60 dollars at other courses, and that includes a cart.

I know a few courses around here that offer memberships for under 5000 dollars a year.

Golf is shrinking it happens. Golf courses that can't compete go away, it happens. Its called running a business. All the generalizations you have said are FALSE!

Not sure how they are false? Tiger brought on such a craze in the golf world where everyday people wanted to try golfing. This brought on a larger demand for all types of equipment which is why we now have irons that range from tour to super G.I. Why is it that when TaylorMade released their RBladez irons last year they sold for $899.00 at golf town now you can buy them still brand new for $449.00? Less and Less people are willing to buy this years equipment which is why companies can't make it...Why is Callaway having financial troubles, Adams gets bought out by TM and then has a factory shut down. Dick's has cut their golf entirely!!! But yeah I guess that makes my statements FALSE. and I didn't say all memberships were that high, or all rounds cost that much or should take that long but if you have watched the golf channel at all you you would know that people do take that long to play which is why they are pushing for more people to play 9 holes. AND if you read my post you would see that I said it was in fact companies ruining it for us golfers. I'm not cutting down the actual golfers I'm cutting down companies and clubs that think $500 for a driver is ok and then wonder why sales are down.

Can't say I'm that disappointed. I bought a pair of spikes at Dick's once, but never any clubs. I won't really be sad to see them go. It seems like a market overcorrection, though it's also possible that having a fully-stocked superstore in every Dick's was overly unsustainable the other way. I know you're being sarcastic, but if you go to Dick's, take up an employee's time, and then buy the same thing elsewhere, to me (I, personally) think that would make you a bit of a dick.

If it's a local mom-n-pop huge dick move. If it's a Dicks? Screw those dicks. ;-)

Riley

Not sure how they are false? Tiger brought on such a craze in the golf world where everyday people wanted to try golfing. This brought on a larger demand for all types of equipment which is why we now have irons that range from tour to super G.I. Why is it that when TaylorMade released their RBladez irons last year they sold for $899.00 at golf town now you can buy them still brand new for $449.00? Less and Less people are willing to buy this years equipment which is why companies can't make it...Why is Callaway having financial troubles, Adams gets bought out by TM and then has a factory shut down. Dick's has cut their golf entirely!!! But yeah I guess that makes my statements FALSE. and I didn't say all memberships were that high, or all rounds cost that much or should take that long but if you have watched the golf channel at all you you would know that people do take that long to play which is why they are pushing for more people to play 9 holes. AND if you read my post you would see that I said it was in fact companies ruining it for us golfers. I'm not cutting down the actual golfers I'm cutting down companies and clubs that think $500 for a driver is ok and then wonder why sales are down.

Because Taylormade came out with a new model of irons, so the new ones go on sale. Its like when you see a BRAND NEW car go on sale because it might be last years model and the company made a switch to a different design.

You hardly every see clubs go on sale from Mizuno or Titliest because they release clubs ever two years. This allows them not to build up too much supply in the retails. So when they get new clubs out, there isn't much supply left and rarely do you see them go on sale. Its basic economics. It happens in every aspect of business. Look at your local grocery story. Things go on sale because they have too much supply, and they need to get rid of them before the next shipment comes in. If not then the store will have to throw away stuff. They rather sell it for a lower cost than get nothing at all. Golf stores know that people like to buy new things. So when TM comes out with a new set of irons. They have to make room for them, and the old models get put on sale. Nothing bad about it, its how business works.

Also Dick's owns Golf Galaxy. So they were competing against themselves. Its smart business to cut something they already have a separate store that specializes in golf.

Companies are having a tough time because golf is shrinking.

It isn't because it is too pricey. Heck the cost of drivers hasn't gone up with inflation at all. Look at Titleist 975 driver series, the suggest retail price for those drivers was $500 dollars. This was back in 2002. Now we are having $500 dollar drivers, with 460cc heads, adjustable, better fitting, better golf shafts. Heck the drivers today are a STEAL compared to what we could get in the early 2000's.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Since this discussion has morphed into why golf is "shrinking," just some thoughts from someone completely new to the game.

Brown Coast is hitting on golf's image problem. Golf has always been seen as a game for rich white guys. Whether that is fair or not, there are certain things which feed that image. The $500 club, for example. I look at $500 and see a car payment or half the mortgage payment or two months of power and water. Someone like me is never going to spend $500 for a club, EVER. And I agree with BC about the whole thing. Why in the world would a single golf club ever cost $500?

Cost for a round is another example. http://golfcrandon.com/rates/ So those are the rates at Crandon. Again, a person like me is looking at that $30 9-hole twilight rate and thinking that might be something I could do a couple times a month. It would be easy to say that, playing no more often than that and no more holes than that, why bother at all? And I think there are a lot of people who see it that way.

But mostly it's the economy. There are still too many people out of work, or working a bad job, or working extra hours off the clock trying to keep the job they have. Who has time for golf? Who would dare take a day off work to play a round? Only rich guys. And there we go again, feeding the image that golf is only for some people and not for everyone. I mean, why do you think every third world country on the planet has a great soccer team? Because all you need is a patch of dirt and a ball. Golf is a game that requires more AND more expensive equipment, larger space to play, and other things which put it out of a lot of people's affordable recreation budget.

So it's a lot of things, but it's a cycle. Once the economy is truly stable again, more people will play golf again. And it will help as more courses and more golfers themselves come up with new ideas and promotions that introduce new players.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Saevel I think we are trying to say the same thing just worded differently. All I'm trying to say is golf companies that want to pump out "new" equipment every 6 months can't really complain when sales are down. And the uber well off and rich people will continue to buy but it's the everyday person that can't keep up with higher rates

Note: This thread is 3308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!