Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deekay

Grip question

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I posted this on the Swing Thoughts forum, but there was no response.

I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face is closed.

Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist/hip movement during the swing take care of it?

(As far as ball flight goes, the longer clubs do fade a bit. Not a huge slice but definitely fading. Short irons often go straight left.)

Hello everyone,

I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face is closed.

Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist/hip movement during the swing take care of it?

(As far as ball flight goes, the longer clubs do fade a bit. Not a huge slice but definitely fading. Short irons often go straight left.)

Double check that your grip is not too much in the palms or that the right and left hand are not aligned. A good check to do is to place you hands on your grip as you do normally.  Then relax and tighten your hands.  If the club head opens and closes, your grip position if off a bit.  I could be that the hands are off in relation to each other.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're clubface should normally be square pointing at your target. Exceptions would be when you want to purposely shape the ball.

Hello everyone,

I'm no pro, and a poor grip can cause major problems, but I've always heard that a proper grip ensures that when most people go from setup to impact position, the face stays square and doesn't OPEN. Without seeing it, I would imagine that your grip now is either excessively weak or too much in the palms. I find that a very weak grip with a square clubface at address opens up when you get to impact. This may also be poor advice, but it seems logical to me to establish your grip from square at address and worry about what the clubface does at impact by making changes. It sounds to me like you are doing the opposite.

You're clubface should normally be square pointing at your target. Exceptions would be when you want to purposely shape the ball.

Not necessarily. I play every shot with a right-pointing clubface, because I want to start the ball right so it has room to draw.

Now, it's not WAY right by any means, but a few yards, to account for my small draw.

Not necessarily. I play every shot with a right-pointing clubface, because I want to start the ball right so it has room to draw. Now, it's not WAY right by any means, but a few yards, to account for my small draw.

I need to start doing this as I've started to hit a fair amount of hooks and pulls. Obviously very different misses but have a slightly open face at address should help with both. I was always afraid to do this because of my propensity to push the ball but lately the pushes seemed to have evolved to pulls. :-\

I need to start doing this as I've started to hit a fair amount of hooks and pulls. Obviously very different misses but have a slightly open face at address should help with both. I was always afraid to do this because of my propensity to push the ball but lately the pushes seemed to have evolved to pulls.

One of my good buddies miss is a push so he does the opposite of what Erik does.  Its funny we were just talking about that last weekend and he said basically feels like if he squares the face he will hit to big of a push and it won't draw back enough.  If he closes the face he has a good feeling that it will be a little push and draw back to target.   I wish I was hitting hooks :~( but Im happy my pull fades are becoming more of a small pull and a small fade back.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • so you think it's pointless to work more on your short game then long game? I never said it is pointless to work on the short game. What I am saying is that the numbers regarding strokes gained and such agree that more strokes can be saved by improving tee shots/long game compared to short game.    if you work on your short game more and then work on your long game you will score better because your short game is where it really matters. This thread with over 30 pages of great information backed up by statistics seems to disagree with you  just cause i worked on my weakest parts of my game.  If your short game is a glaring weakness relative to your long game, then of course working on the weakest parts of YOUR game benefited you the most   and lets say you can drive it and your 2nd shot is 130y into the green and you come up short or go into the bunker. and your short game isn't good at all and you can get around the green in 2 but you end up with a 4 or 5 because you can't control your balls on the greens or even putt.  Most golfers (even pro) are happy if they are around the green in 2 and end up with a 4.....  by you saying "lets say you can drive it" you are assuming that high handicap golfers (target audience of this thread) are able to drive it in play and consistently enough to leave themselves 130yds into the green, which simply isnt the case. Even on a short 375yd par 4, that would require a 245 drive, back that to 400 yds, and now that requires a 270 yd drive, which the majority of golfers, lets alone high handicap golfers, aren't capable of hitting. Now lets say you CANT drive it, so your 2nd shot is 200y into the green from the rough and through some trees. That is a much worse situation to be in, and more often than not, that approach from 130 yds is going to be much closer to the green than that shot from the rough at 200 yds is, regardless of how good or bad your short game is.
    • I get what Dave is saying...if the ball is simply rolled back distance-wise, the guy who is 30 yards shorter than the big hitters will still be 30 yards shorter, so the longer hitters will still have an advantage.  But, once upon a time distance was not such a huge factor and there were plenty of guys who were not among the longest hitters winning on a regular basis.  When did this change? The big change happened when solid core golf balls were introduced, so roughly 1999.  The reason was that although everyone gained distance with the new balls, the guys with higher swing speeds gained more distance than players with below average swing speeds (average driver clubhead speed on Tour is about 113 mph).  So even though the shorter hitters picked up 10-15 yards, the big hitters gained 25.  This created a bigger separation and this is when short hitters found it more difficult to compete with the big hitters and the focus shifted more heavily on hitting the ball long. The new balls didn't spin nearly as much off the driver either, so they were much straighter.  Clubheads had already started getting bigger and more forgiving, so hitting precise shots was not as important.  This created a new generation of players who could swing as hard as possible and not get hurt by hitting marginal shots.  Spin was the great equalizer!  Back in the day, even power players had to hit the ball well to play, so you still had guys who were long (Andy Bean, Fred Couples, Davis Love III) but still had to swing within themselves. Here is a good example of how much the new ball changed things...In 1981 Dan Pohl was the longest driver on Tour with a 280.1 yard average.  13 years later in 1994, Davis Love III led the Tour in driving distance averaging 283.8 yards (just over 3.5 yards difference). Just 9 years after that in 2003 Hank Kuehne was at 321.4.  That's 37.6 yards longer!  Pretty impressive. Not to take anything away from Hank, but if he had to play with a persimmon driver and a wound ball there is a good chance he would have never gotten his Tour card.  Players could not swing as hard as they do now simply because it was imperative to hit the sweet spot and to control the spin.  Before anyone brings up Bubba Watson and tries to point out that he is long and works the ball like they used to back in the day, let me stop you. If Bubba had to play with traditional gear, he might not break 80.  I understand he is a multiple major winner, but I'm telling you, he doesn't hit the ball precisely enough to have even been a pro, much less win majors. Check this out:  In 2010, Bubba and Corey Pavin were in a sudden death playoff along with Scott Verplank.  Their stats for the week: Pavin's Stats: 
      Driving Distance 262.0
      Driving Accuracy 89%
      GIR 74%
      Putts Per GIR 1.643
      Sand Save Percentage 1-1- 100% B. Watson Stats:
      Driving Distance 321
      Driving Accuracy 66%
      GIR 71%
      Putts Per GIR 1.63
      Sand Save Percentage 3-4 75% Bubba was hitting the ball 60 yards longer than Pavin, but hit less greens and more bunkers.  The first playoff hole, Corey hit a hybrid into the green, Bubba hit sand wedge.  If Bubba hit less fairways, less greens and more bunkers with today's drivers and balls with Corey spotting him 60 yards, he would have no chance with a ball that spun twice as much.
    • I wonder if you can still get the build stats on those club with the serial number. Couldn't hurt to call them.
    • This is extremely specific. I understand if there isn't much to be said.  One of my local courses is Miami Shores GC in Troy, OH. As near as I understand Mr. Ross designed the course very near the end of his life (the course opened in 1947). It's always sort of been neat to think that greatness touched one of our local munis. I do understand they have substantially changed both nines since then and would love to have seen it as Ross created it.  Any details on this project would be really cool.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. BreakingBadly
      BreakingBadly
      (34 years old)
    2. dreamcrusher28
      dreamcrusher28
      (45 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon