IGNORED

My Swing (ushawks)

USHawks
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 Years

My current handicap index or average score is: average Score is about 100 to 105. Yes i know it sucks!

My typical ball flight is: Driver is a slice most of the time Irons are straight for the most part but from time to time I leave the face open and hit it right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I am not consistent with my irons I go from hitting it fat to topping it. Also I cannot hit my 3 wood to save my life

Any advice on my swing would be great. Some of the things I seen is it looks like I swing from the outside inn and not on the same swing path. Also it looks like my head moves down on my back swing. Thanks for the help!

Videos:

Welcome to the journey of improving your swing! I have some good news and some bad news for you! Which one do you want first? Ok, the good news is that there is a good chance if you follow the advice you get that you start shooting in the 90's and even 80's depending on how much work you put in! The bad news, well, it is a long road full of twists and turns and ups an downs! The best advice I can give is stay level headed through all of it and it'll shorten the learning curve.. I learned the hard way so there you go! Your hitting fats and thins because you are not able to keep your head steady during your pivot, ie key#1, and this makes it so difficult for you to bring the club back to the ball at incredible speeds.. Suggestion: take a look at the functional grip thread so that you aren't gripping the club in your palms. Then you need to take a look at the pivot thread and key#1 thread as that will give you all you need in terms of things to work on an what not.. Side note: it always helps more for you to record swings of you actually hitting a ball.. Your swing without the ball will rarely resemble that with one because it will not display your true tendencies when hitting a ball.. Good luck and please feel free to ask any questions you may have and sorry for the long post!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TheSandTrap! Here's a little introduction thread that you might find helpful:

You're not going to get a lot of good feedback, because it's a practice swing. Most people tend to do things differently when they're actually hitting a ball. Try to get some videos of you hitting some golf balls, when you can.

In the meantime, your posture could be better. You want to round out your upper back, almost feels like you're resting a cup on it. This allows you to look at the ball more out of your central field of vision, as opposed to looking down at it.

The other thing I'd adjust is your knees. Your feet are flared pretty well, but your knock-kneed: your knees are pointing in towards each other. This causes some pivot problems- because the knees are restricting your hip turn- you sway your hips towards the end of the backswing. Stand with your knees more bowed out as if you were riding a horse to allow your hips to move more naturally.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks for the advice I will take a look at the other post for grip and posture. I will also with in the next couple of days go get some video of me hitting a ball and try to get some slow motion videos posted. Abu3baid I am ready for that long road full of twists and turns and ups an downs. I just want to try to get to a place where I can play good golf, lower my score and stop playing the FULL left and right limits of a course. ;-)

Thanks for the advice I will take a look at the other post for grip and posture. I will also with in the next couple of days go get some video of me hitting a ball and try to get some slow motion videos posted.  Abu3baid I am ready for that [COLOR=181818]long road full of twists and turns and ups an downs. I just want to try to get to a place where I can play good golf, lower my score and stop playing the FULL left and right limits of a course.[/COLOR];-)

You've come to the right place in my opinion! Looking forward to seeing your progress too it is part of the fun! Because most of us here are trying to do the same exact thing as you!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think you are right! It seems so far that there are a lot of good people on here and a lot willing to help. I can't wait to get my next set of videos and post them.

Great! Don't forget to select an avatar, as well!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Here are the videos of me hitting a ball so I hope they are better for yall to give advice off of. I hit a 7 iron in the videos and my 3 wood which happens to be the WORST club in my bag lol. Im sorry if it is 2 many videos I just wanted to try to give as much as I can for yall to look at. Any and all feed back will be great thanks in advance.

Here are the videos of me hitting a ball so I hope they are better for yall to give advice off of.

Most of them are set to private.

Bill

My Swing Thread

All the videos except the last few are set to private. Also, you'll end up with videos that are much more viewable if you turn your phone sideways so the videos record in landscape rather than upright like these.

Anyway, it looks like you have a good solid athletic swing that is a good base to work from.  A few things I noticed were:

1. It seems like your takeaway is a little more to the inside than ideal, although it's difficult to tell for sure without a down the line view so I can't be sure.  But you did say that you have a tendency to come outside to in through impact and an inside takeaway tends to lead to an over the top move pretty often. A swing thought you can try that might help is to try to feel like your RIGHT arm stays straight in your backswing, it won't actually stay straight the whole time, but it can help you get some width in the backswing and prevent your arms/hands from working towards your body

2. At impact you've lost a good amount of lag and you don't have enough forward shaft lean.  In this screenshot you can see the clubhead is too far past your hands due to your wrists flipping.  Try to feel your left wrist staying flat through impact, it really helps to practice by some hitting half to 3/4 swing punch shots while trying to exaggerate the feeling of your hands staying ahead of the clubhead

Just a couple of minor details related to your filming, first:

Mind your camera angles. http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Off angles can really distort the appearance of the swing a lot, which makes it harder to tell what is really going on.

Also, for next time, you really only need one DTL and one FO swing per club. Most people tend to swing pretty consistently so you don't need that many videos.

As to your actual swing, you definitely have some good pieces there. I think the priority for you right now is Key #2, Weight Forward.

BTW, if you aren't familiar with the 5 Simple Keys, here's the introductory thread:

You need to get that weight forward more. Good players get as much as 90% of their weight (or pressure) on their front foot at impact. Your weight is hanging back too much on your right foot throughout the swing. Your hips need to slide more in the downswing and your front knee should be flexed longer (it really shouldn't be fully extended until at or just after impact). Here's a couple of videos that should help:

And definitely work on that posture, which I mentioned earlier.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Just to give a bit of visualization to what @billchao said.

Lets take a look at these three photos:

In the first one, we have you at set up. The line is drawn at your hips.

This is you at the top of your backswing. Look how much the front knee is kicked in towards the back knee. Having it kicked in that far makes it harder to get your weight forward. Hard to get your hips past the original red line.

In this last one, we see that you have indeed gotten your hips forward, but not quite enough. They could be a bit more past the line. Looking at the difference between the blue and white lines we see how much you had to move to get even that little bit past it.

We also see that your wrist angles are thrown away, and the club is uncocking too early. I think that's a function of not getting the weight forward enough and the body trying to compensate.

This is a long winded way of saying that you need to get your weight forward.That'll help with contact and distance issues.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

So played this weekend and tried to focus on posture and getting my weight forward. On the front nine I did to play to good I think just because I was trying to hard to make everything right. So on the back nine I said :censored: I'm just going to aim my shot step up and hit it and I played pretty good to my standards lol. It felt natural and good playing the back nine and I feel that since I tried so hard on the front that the posture and swing carried to the back so thanks again for the feed back and help. I will take some more videos soon and see if I have gotten better.

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!