IGNORED

golfers who drop a 2nd ball

jmanbooyaa
Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else experience the group in front or group you are in have no regard for others. What I mean is the type of player who feels it is ok to drop a 2nd ball without a care of who is waiting behind them. I have been witnessing this a lot lately. Today played as a solo. Course was not too busy.I had a solo 2 holes ahead moving right along. As I breeze through the front 9 and head to the 10th tee box I notice the guy in front has now linked up with a 2 some. No big deal they are 2 holes ahead. 2 holes later I am sitting on them and watching in disgust as they are taking 4 or 5 practice swings and dropping a 2nd ball because they don't hit the 1st well. 2nd didnt go much better. They did this for the remaining holes actually all 3 did this. Anyone else been witness to this type of player?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

That's half the membership at my home course. I hope their carts fall over with them under them.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ask to play through.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Playing through would have worked today since the course was open. That was just an example of todays round. I see this a lot when the courses here on Long Island are jammed. Players dropping a 2nd multiple times in a round without regards to other players.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

If I hit a bad shot or shank a ball into an out of bounds area, I'll occasionally drop another ball and retake the shot, but only if there is no one behind me and I'm sure I won't be holding up anyone. I'd be pretty mad if I saw someone drop a ball in front of me while I was waiting on the tee box.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

If I hit a bad shot or shank a ball into an out of bounds area, I'll occasionally drop another ball and retake the shot, but only if there is no one behind me and I'm sure I won't be holding up anyone. I'd be pretty mad if I saw someone drop a ball in front of me while I was waiting on the tee box.

I waited on someone today who decided to practice putt to his hearts' content while I was behind him with someone else. At least 4 putts while everyone else in his group walked away. Then I watched in horror as he was putting his club away and the guy I was with started to swing. Thank goodness his shot was short. I don't think there is a problem with an extra shot once in awhile as log as it doesn't hold up play.

—Adam

I'll often play two balls at the same time just for fun, but only if there's at least a couple of holes between me and the next group.  And the course manager doesn't care as long as nobody's getting held up.  I've done the whole course like that a couple of time.

:cobra:  BiO Cell Driver

Magique 17* Hybrid

:adams:Idea Tech A4 22* Hybrid

:callaway:X2 Hot Irons 5-L

Knight 64*/10* L2 Wedge (K-Mart Special... 25¢ at Goodwill lol) Putter

:tmade:Ghost Belly Putter

Eh, generally it's not a big deal if they're not holding anyone up.  However, it does tear up the golf course unnecessarily, and you paid to play one .

If it's your club, I think playing two balls is fine, but I'm not sure that works too well for accurate handicapping purposes.  Then again, it's probably only going to improve your handicap.

"Witty golf quote."

We had a foursome of those guys yesterday. No one in front of em, but they weren't giving us a chance to pass. Their two carts were never more than 10 yards apart as they followed each other from one side of the fairway to the other. My partner counted three tee shots per hole for one of them. We packed it in after nine holes.

Every once in a while I am poking along and suddenly there is a single or twosome in a cart behind me.  Usually it occurs on the back nine.  I know I have several holes clear behind me when I make the turn so sometimes I take extra time to pick some wildflowers for my wife or do a bit of ball shagging.  If player or two tee off on #10, they can sometimes zoom up on me and I suspect they post a thread about some old fart picking flowers and holding up their game.  Once I am aware of the presence of someone behind me, I will immediately pickup the pace and if the followers are the rare individuals who can keep pace with me, I will either ask them to join me or let them through.

The point is that not every instance of multiple hits or putts is done with knowledge that a single player or twosome is following.  Once one becomes aware of the situation, the practice should stop and if it does not, a polite "Fore" might be in order or request to play through so the person(s) can continue to practice without holding one up.  If the practice persists and they won't allow a faster group through, then contacting a marshal or the clubhouse makes sense (or skip a hole).

Brian Kuehn

We had a foursome of those guys yesterday. No one in front of em, but they weren't giving us a chance to pass. Their two carts were never more than 10 yards apart as they followed each other from one side of the fairway to the other. My partner counted three tee shots per hole for one of them. We packed it in after nine holes.

That's BS! The guys I play with do this all the time, it's getting pretty damn ridiculous. I used to just start walking towards my ball after they hit the first but stopped doing that when 2nd shots were flying over my head anyway.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I was lucky on Friday (because I didn't catch them earlier) - I caught this same group on #17.  Come up to the tee and they are right of the fairway, both carts over there.  Took forever for them to hit past the pond.  Ditto on each other shot.  Then standing around after putting.....  Then standing on the tee box a lot before hitting.  I waved at the group and the two that observed that turned away quickly for some odd reason.

In fact on 18 (within a half hour or twilight), I'm sitting in the fairway WAITING for them to finish each each of their 5 minute putting/discussion routines.

They finish, 2 get in the cart and drive off.

The other 2 stood there next to the green for about 5 minutes (seriously) before getting in the cart and driving off.

The guy in the orange pants was particularly slow, painfully slow.

Fortunately, the groups behind me hadn't yet caught up.

I didn't see them in the bar or parking lot.

White Eagle Golf Course (Hudson WI) - Twilight hours - Friday Aug 22.  I hope one of the foursome here is a member just for friendly information.  Guys - you are really slow and it comes across as purposely slow, not just oblivious like most.

Now - I was playing very fast, but they didn't know that.  Every group on the course other than this one was super courteous, attentive, fun to talk to - I really enjoyed myself and met some cool people.  was very conscious about letting me play through as a solo on a very non-busy day.  I think I teed off with three 4-somes and a 3some.  (Hit your tee with us and then hurry to the next shot and get ahead - worked great).  This group, would have been horrible to tail regardless of whether I was fast slow, solo or in a foursome.

On Topic:  I don't care if people hit another ball.  But just one - if there's more, then they aren't really learning anything from that, rather they are just being oblivious to their real game.  And Not a fan of it at all if it even a little busy or will make anyone wait (in the group or another group).  i.e., do it, but if it can't be done unselfishly, then this isn't the time - go to the range.

Bill - 

I've seen it before and I definitely do some mean mugging. I don't mind playing 2, hell, play 7 balls as long as you're not holding anyone up.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

You are supposed to drop and rehit if you hit the ball ob..

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

You are supposed to drop and rehit if you hit the ball ob..

Of course you are, but I'm talking about the times where you're just playing for the heck of it. (AKA when no one else is behind you and you're just playing for fun), that's when I'd re-hit one without penalty.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Of course you are, but I'm talking about the times where you're just playing for the heck of it. (AKA when no one else is behind you and you're just playing for fun), that's when I'd re-hit one without penalty.

I was just pointing out that in that specific instance you are supposed to drop and rehit, and people behind you may not realize that it is required by the rules. I'll drop another ball and hit if I think I won't find my first shot because it saves time. Though I almost got killed *exaggeration of course* last night because I hit a provisional off the tee, went looking for my first ball but couldn't find it but in that time a super speedy single in a cart had caught up to me but didn't see me. As I walked up to my provisional, which of course was dead center of the fairway :-X , a ball came flying at me bouncing probably 4 feet short of me. I'm sure the guy was pissed because he thought was messing about hitting multiple balls and being slow. Thankfully it was the last hole anyway.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!