IGNORED

Tiger Fires Sean Foley

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger now endures the struggles that many of us do except at an elite level.  He is simply too mechanical focused on the course and does not just play golf like he used to.  We can debate about what is causing his injuries, but the fact is he has hit an infinite number of golf balls over his lifespan at very high speeds and after awhile it takes a toll on your body.  All of the greats have had their problems as they age and Tiger is no different.

JMO, Tiger needs to rest his body the rest of the year (although he said he is going to play in December).  He needs to work extensively on stretching and taking some of his bulk off to allow his body to move more freely like it did when he was younger.  He needs to check his ego and change his game.  At one time he was the master at the short game and he needs to get back to it.  He can hit it plenty long and allow his short game to do the rest.  Forget swing coaches and just do what he feels comfortable doing and allow his experience and talent to take over.  Most importantly, he needs to play more.  He is not good enough now to just show up at majors or huge tournaments and beat these young guns who are extremely talented and have razor sharp games.

Tiger is the most talented and accomplished player of the modern era.  He has the ability to continue to be great but he has to do things differently if he is ever going to make a run at Jack's record.  My feeling is he will continue to be Tiger and will find another swing coach who will mess with his swing and he is taking on another 2-3 year swing change.  Father time is ticking and he just does not have the time now to continue to keep changing swings.

Well said and fairly presented.  Totally agree.

Well, if you believe Hank, and I know that can be tough to do, than it is hard to say that Tiger's shaft lean with Sean is completely Sean's fault. Hank went on about how Tiger would at times go off on his own thinking he knew better what he was doing by himself. I think it might have some truth to it. Sean may not have been teaching him to do that, but Tiger though that this would help him.

I think this move is best for both of them.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, if you believe Hank, and I know that can be tough to do, than it is hard to say that Tiger's shaft lean with Sean is completely Sean's fault. Hank went on about how Tiger would at times go off on his own thinking he knew better what he was doing by himself. I think it might have some truth to it. Sean may not have been teaching him to do that, but Tiger though that this would help him.

I think this move is best for both of them.

Agree.

I've heard that Tiger does not trust ... easily ... maybe ever. Given his history...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Pretty bad decision in my opinion.  Foley's other students have the best swings on tour right now and I think the only thing holding Tiger back from being on par with Rose or Mahan was his injuries

I think the two best swings on tour are McIlroy and Scott, neither are coached by Foley. Not that Foley's students aren't successful, they are. I think Tiger just thinks its time for a change. It's obvious that the Foley swing is not holding up for him right now. Maybe it's too hard on his back.

At this point, does he really need a coach?  I would rather see him just get a video assistant to film his range sessions.

I know it was a totally different era, but I remember how Jack would see Jack Grout before the beginning of each season & basically re-teach him the swing from scratch. And that essentially was all he needed - 'When I want to fade the ball I open my stance a little & swing the club along my feet...for a draw I would close my stance a little & do the same.'

That simplicity got him 18 majors.

But yes, different era. I guess everyone has a swing coach these days.

'When I want to fade the ball I open my stance a little & swing the club along my feet...for a draw I would close my stance a little & do the same.'

That simplicity got him 18 majors.

Just waiting for the 20 handicappers to tell us that the new ball flight laws prove this to be wrong. :-P

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Just waiting for the 20 handicappers to tell us that the new ball flight laws prove this to be wrong. :-P

Why? Seems to me like Jack understood the "new" ballflight laws pretty instinctively.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
I think the two best swings on tour are McIlroy and Scott, neither are coached by Foley. Not that Foley's students aren't successful, they are. I think Tiger just thinks its time for a change. It's obvious that the Foley swing is not holding up for him right now. Maybe it's too hard on his back.

I'm gonna ask this question out of pure curiosity: What draws you to McIlroy's swing? Why do you like it so much? Did you like it just as much when he couldn't break 75 on Fridays? When he was struggling in 2013? Would you agree that the swing he has in the last part of 2014 is pretty much the same swing he had for 18 months from early 2013 to mid-2014, except for teeny fractional differences in clubface position, etc.?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why? Seems to me like Jack understood the "new" ballflight laws pretty instinctively.

Which is exactly my point.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

And the next instructor Woods is hiring is... me! :-D:-D

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

While this is surprising news, it isn't all that surprising when you really think about it in hindsight.  Tiger's body language the last several months is exactly the same body language he had towards the end of his run with Haney.  As we all know, Haney walked away and did so before Tiger could fire him as he knew it was coming.  So history in a way repeats itself.

I don't dislike Sean and think he is a good coach but the fit, again in hindsight, didn't seem to be right towards the end.  Maybe a 30 year old Tiger would be better suited for the swing Sean was implementing.  On the other hand, if that ball doesn't hit the flag at the masters in 012, are we even having this debate?

Who knows which direction Tiger is going to go.  What is absolute fact is whoever it's going to be better have VERY THICK skin and will be under an immense amount of pressure as the next 5-6 years is Tiger's last shot at breaking Jack's record.  That's it, time is running out.

If you would a professional golf coach, would you take the challenge knowing the potential consequences?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I'm gonna ask this question out of pure curiosity: What draws you to McIlroy's swing? Why do you like it so much? Did you like it just as much when he couldn't break 75 on Fridays? When he was struggling in 2013? Would you agree that the swing he has in the last part of 2014 is pretty much the same swing he had for 18 months from early 2013 to mid-2014, except for teeny fractional differences in clubface position, etc.?

First of all I don't claim to be an expert on the swing. I just gave my opinion.

Second, I like that McIlroy can generate so much clubhead speed and stay so well balanced. It's very athletic and pretty to watch.

Third, it doesn't take much for a swing to go slightly off with poor results so I agree with you.

Fourth, and I didn't analyze Rory's stats from 2013, but the full swing is not the only factor in measuring scoring.

Last, it's possible that his adjustment to new clubs took a while.

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/104812/] [/URL]

loooool

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Effing guy doesn't need a swing coach, he needs a psychologist instead.

In the words of the great El Pato: "Some golfers have psychologists. I smoke". Tiger woods smoke is banging multiple women at the same time. "I used to love Tiger Woods because he was a great champion. But after that sex scandal? The man is a GOD"

Riley

In the words of the great El Pato: "Some golfers have psychologists. I smoke". Tiger woods smoke is banging multiple women at the same time.

"I used to love Tiger Woods because he was a great champion. But after that sex scandal? The man is a GOD"

Tiger just needs to call a few hotties from The Windermere Pancake House, couple of Vegas call girls, and Rachel Ucan'tspell from Manhatten and throw a little late night soiree. He'll be good to go. Find a doc from Toronto with blood spinning expertise andf he'll win at least 5 majors in the next three years. :-D

Note: This thread is 3503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!