IGNORED

Tiger Fires Sean Foley

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This will be interesting to watch. Will he make wholesale changes and take a year to adjust? Or minor changes and adapt enough to peak at the Masters?

@iacas , what changes would you suggest to make to his downswing?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That 2001 swing is so smooth

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

You can also look at it from Foley's POV. He's got a client who's basically on the shelf for a few months. His time is valuable too.

I agree, and as I stated in my other thread, Foley was taking a lot of blame for Tigers decline from golfs talking heads.  We know from Hank's book that Tiger is demanding and if Foley is helping other pro's win while Tiger is struggling that has to place a stain on the relationship.

Tiger should go back to Harmon and try to recapture some of that old magic from his younger days.  Butch doesn't strike me as the type to put up with Tigers crap in the way Haney and Foley did so maybe that's what Tiger needs at this point.

Joe Paradiso

For all those wanting Tiger to go back to his old swing, it ain't gonna happen. His knees and back can't take the strain anymore. And he's 13 years older.

I'd love to see him go back to Butch.  If he played poorly, it would eliminate the coaching change as the reason for his recent difficulty with majors.  If he wins majors...well great, that's what everyone wants to see.

But that's unlikely to happen.  So I'm hoping he signs up for evolvr.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator
Wow.......so now we wait until he gets a new coach, then wait while he changes his swing with 'reps'. He should be comfortable with his new swing by end of 2015 right?........

I don't think he's going to make a change* to his golf swing. By change * I of course mean of the large, sweeping variety he's done in the past (once in staying with Butch), then once each when switching coaches.

Good. I hope he can reconnect with Butch, but I doubt his ego will allow.

Not gonna happen, nor should it really.

Some interesting tidbits from around golf:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/golf/tiger-woods-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=1892505

https://twitter.com/ellingyelling/status/503933431969882112

Shaft lean isn't excessive:

Camera angle is crap too. Makes the handle look farther forward than it is.

Also…?

Maybe he heard about the success we've had rehabilitating the careers of a few Euro Tour players…?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger now endures the struggles that many of us do except at an elite level.  He is simply too mechanical focused on the course and does not just play golf like he used to.  We can debate about what is causing his injuries, but the fact is he has hit an infinite number of golf balls over his lifespan at very high speeds and after awhile it takes a toll on your body.  All of the greats have had their problems as they age and Tiger is no different.

JMO, Tiger needs to rest his body the rest of the year (although he said he is going to play in December).  He needs to work extensively on stretching and taking some of his bulk off to allow his body to move more freely like it did when he was younger.  He needs to check his ego and change his game.  At one time he was the master at the short game and he needs to get back to it.  He can hit it plenty long and allow his short game to do the rest.  Forget swing coaches and just do what he feels comfortable doing and allow his experience and talent to take over.  Most importantly, he needs to play more.  He is not good enough now to just show up at majors or huge tournaments and beat these young guns who are extremely talented and have razor sharp games.

Tiger is the most talented and accomplished player of the modern era.  He has the ability to continue to be great but he has to do things differently if he is ever going to make a run at Jack's record.  My feeling is he will continue to be Tiger and will find another swing coach who will mess with his swing and he is taking on another 2-3 year swing change.  Father time is ticking and he just does not have the time now to continue to keep changing swings.

• Administrator

JMO, Tiger needs to rest his body the rest of the year (although he said he is going to play in December).  He needs to work extensively on stretching and taking some of his bulk off to allow his body to move more freely like it did when he was younger.

I don't understand where this "Tiger is bulky" stuff comes from. He's not. Not by any reasonable definitions of the word.

And he isn't younger. He's older. He's had injuries. It strikes me as pure folly to just say "swing like you did in 2000!"

He needs to check his ego and change his game.  At one time he was the master at the short game and he needs to get back to it.

Stats would likely say otherwise: Tiger's always relied on his full swing to win, as does virtually every PGA Tour winner ever. His short game was great… but he also didn't need to use it much when he was winning events. Winners don't scramble for pars… they hit greens, reach par fives in two, and make the occasional putt (still only 1.8 putts over 72 holes holed by the winners of PGA Tour events from outside 21 feet…).

Most importantly, he needs to play more.  He is not good enough now to just show up at majors or huge tournaments and beat these young guns who are extremely talented and have razor sharp games.

He's pretty consistently played a similar number of events (except in the case of injuries) for most of his career. Just as Jack did. Most top guys don't play a super-packed schedule.

Tiger is the most talented and accomplished player of the modern era.  He has the ability to continue to be great but he has to do things differently if he is ever going to make a run at Jack's record.  My feeling is he will continue to be Tiger and will find another swing coach who will mess with his swing and he is taking on another 2-3 year swing change.  Father time is ticking and he just does not have the time now to continue to keep changing swings.

Couldn't disagree more because I can't possibly imagine someone with Tiger's past of being that stupid.

Sometimes people do some pretty stupid things, but at 39 (effectively), that would be monumentally stupid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[URL=http://www.paddypower.com/bet/golf/tiger-woods-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=1892505]http://www.paddypower.com/bet/golf/tiger-woods-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=1892505[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/104777/] [/URL]

Lol@ Elin & his mom....and Brandel Chamblee at 20/1.

Riley

Interesting news, especially right after Mahan just won. This could actually be a good thing for Foley, doesn't have to worry about "managing" the swing of an aging/injured Tiger and now has more time to focus on his players that make him look good (Rose, Noh, Mahan).

Tiger is definitely not going back to Butch, I'd bet my house on it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Maybe he'll just have Joe video him with a Trackman setup... ;-)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not gonna happen.-Joe and Tiger?[quote name="Mr. Desmond" url="/t/76778/tiger-fires-sean-foley/18#post_1045752"]Maybe he'll just have Joe video him with a Trackman setup...;-) [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Not gonna happen.-Joe and Tiger?

;-) It was a poor joke.

I wonder what LaCava thinks about all this... maybe I haven't paid attention, but he doesn't seem to say much.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Where's Grant on the list?  And of course T_Dub (ladykiller69) is working with Evolr. :beer:

Also…?

Maybe he heard about the success we've had rehabilitating the careers of a few Euro Tour players…?

Note: This thread is 3497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!