IGNORED

If you could only use 2 clubs

Gary L

I'm going with 8i (40 degree) and 4i (25 degrees).

I can chip and get out of sand with an 8i. Most of my approaches are 8i or less, so it has become a comfort club.

The 4i is good off the tee and as a putter. I can also punch out low with the 4i.

That covers my game anyway.

I should go out with just these two clubs tomorrow and see what my potential playing partners think. :roll:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Putting with a wedge is kind of hard, you have to blade it, I think gripping down on a hybrid would be better, but maybe I'm wrong.

They're really not. I've won putting competitions - me with a wedge versus others with a putter. You typically have to hit them a little in the heel if that's where the CG is, but otherwise, it's just blading a wedge. Distance control is the same. (And it's tough with a hybrid - they jump quite a bit.)

Every year I would have my JV golf team play a two club match, but one of the clubs was a putter. (I did not want the country club members seeing teenage golfers hitting anything but putters on the greens.) Most of them picked 5 or 6 irons for their second club. It was a great way to have the kids play different kind of shots with the same golf club.

Ironically, every year one of the guys would shoot 41 with one club and a putter, and then the next day in a golf match shoot 45 or 46 using all 14 clubs. Amazing!

LOL  at the people who don't realise that putting with a wedge is the way to go.

Putting with a putter is the way to go. Unfortunately, like a wedge, it's utility is limited when it comes to longer shots. ;-)

I'm definitely going 5 wood and PW. 5 wood will get me decent distance off the tee, approach shots with it as well. Then a PW for 125 and in, sand shots and then putt with the 5 wood.

23* hybrid and 58* wedge I would be hitting a lot of half shots with the hybrid but I would be prepared for any type of lie and would be accurate once I was inside 60 yards...putting would be interesting

Hmm interesting, maybe a 3 iron and a gap wedge, I dunno.

This sounds like a possible combo, I was thinking of my 8i because its almost like the standard PW nowadays. My 4i is a little bit weak (185 yards), a 3i might be just the thing.

I was told a story last year whilst playing in Spain, that Seve Ballesteros played an exhibition match at the opening of the course we played using only a 7 iron, and parred the course with it!! I have since tried to verify this story online without success, so I can't prove it's true! But I guess if anyone could, it would have been Seve! I, however, would choose my gw50* & 5i and be be happy with any score less than 110

• Administrator
I think the most important component is putting.  If you can't get the ball in from 3-6 feet you're doomed  Is that 8-iron going to do the job?

Putting is not as important as getting near the green (you should buy my book :D). And most people could serviceably use the leading edge of an iron to putt.

• Upvote 1

More than likely I would go 3 wood 8 iron if playing anything around 6200 yards.   If it was longer than that, I would go with a 6 iron instead of the 8.

A 4 hybrid and a pitching wedge, the combination of these two should get you in very good position on most holes, with a slight forward press I can put fine with the hybrid? My 4 hybrid I can hit straight 210 if I stepp on it, if I incrementally choke down & swing it soft 130 yards. PW 125 yards

A 4 hybrid and a pitching wedge, the combination of these two should get you in very good position on most holes, with a slight forward press I can put fine with the hybrid? My 4 hybrid I can hit straight 210 if I stepp on it, if I incrementally choke down & swing it soft 130 yards. PW 125 yards

Good choices. :beer:

Started to say a 3 hybrid myself but went with the 5W just because I've done it before (before I had a hybrid).

I think I'll officially change mine to a 3 hybrid and PW in a close race.