IGNORED

If you could only use 2 clubs

Gary L

• Administrator
2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 9i

It's not a given. Two clubs. So what's your new answer? :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putting with a wedge is kind of hard, you have to blade it, I think gripping down on a hybrid would be better, but maybe I'm wrong.

2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 91

Why should the putter be a given? The whole idea is to force choices and foster creativity. Learn to putt with a wedge, or take your putter and get killed by the guys that have a hybrid and wedge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 9i

It's not a given. Two clubs. So what's your new answer? :)

If I had to use only 2 clubs, I'd go fishing :-P .      Trying to think how I could putt without a putter - probably use a 3 iron as it has the least amount of loft - I'd just make my way around the course hitting low liner punch shots at various distances  (I've become very proficient at that shot out of necessity), and an 8 iron (God help me if I ever wound up in a bunker)

• Upvote 1

If it had to use only 2 clubs, I'd go fishing .      Trying to think how I could putt without a putter - probably use a 3 wood as it has the least amount of loft, and a 7 iron (God help me if I ever wound up in a bunker)

Belly a wedge. Hit the ball with the leading right about the equator. I do it all the time when I'm practicing my wedge game. I've even, on rare occasions, putted out tap-ins with my wedge during actual rounds if I'm really close and too lazy to go back to my bag.

• Administrator
interesting ... but I bet it would come down to a putting contest - those who could belly a wedge would have a huge advantage

Bellying a wedge is easy.

Things rarely come down to putting. Book on the left talks about that a bit. :)

4w, 8iron.

4w because that's the only fairway wood I have and I don't hit my 3 or 4 irons all that well.  8 iron because it seems like it would give me a reasonable approach distance and not be too bad to chip and putt with.  8 iron is also the longest iron in the bag that I hit my best.  What I mean is . . I hit the 3 and 4 pretty poorly, the 5 ok, the 6 and 7 pretty good . .but I hit my 8iron through wedges so much better.  I can hit my 8 iron almost as far as my 7 (and with much better trajectory) and I can hit my 7 almost far as my 5.  So . . .8iron for me.  Hopefully next year it will be the 7.

Does that apply if they're putting by blading an iron or bumping a fairway wood?

I would assume so. A bad putt misses by a smaller margin than a bad full swing shot every time no mstter what club is used. People tend to put undue blame on poor putting not realizing it is a poor long game that results in difficult putts. When I 3 putt it is either because I left myself a very long putt with a poor approach or something silly happened, lip out, crazy sloped green etc.

I would assume so. A bad putt misses by a smaller margin than a bad full swing shot every time no mstter what club is used. People tend to put undue blame on poor putting not realizing it is a poor long game that results in difficult putts. When I 3 putt it is either because I left myself a very long putt with a poor approach or something silly happened, lip out, crazy sloped green etc.

So if you 3-putt because of a poor approach and you're 50 feet away with a uphill/downhill, left/right breaker, how are you going to do if I take your putter away and you're blading a mid-wedge.  Still a 3-putt?  A 4-putt? A 5-putt?