IGNORED

If You Could Only Use 2 Clubs

Gary L
Note: This thread is 892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 9i

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 9i

It's not a given. Two clubs. So what's your new answer? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Putting with a wedge is kind of hard, you have to blade it, I think gripping down on a hybrid would be better, but maybe I'm wrong.

2 clubs is kind of silly - the putter should be a given.   In addition to the putter, I would take a 3h and 91

Why should the putter be a given? The whole idea is to force choices and foster creativity. Learn to putt with a wedge, or take your putter and get killed by the guys that have a hybrid and wedge.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

It's not a given. Two clubs. So what's your new answer? :)

If I had to use only 2 clubs, I'd go fishing :-P .      Trying to think how I could putt without a putter - probably use a 3 iron as it has the least amount of loft - I'd just make my way around the course hitting low liner punch shots at various distances  (I've become very proficient at that shot out of necessity), and an 8 iron (God help me if I ever wound up in a bunker)

• Upvote 1

John

If it had to use only 2 clubs, I'd go fishing .      Trying to think how I could putt without a putter - probably use a 3 wood as it has the least amount of loft, and a 7 iron (God help me if I ever wound up in a bunker)

Belly a wedge. Hit the ball with the leading right about the equator. I do it all the time when I'm practicing my wedge game. I've even, on rare occasions, putted out tap-ins with my wedge during actual rounds if I'm really close and too lazy to go back to my bag.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

interesting ... but I bet it would come down to a putting contest - those who could belly a wedge would have a huge advantage

John

• Administrator
interesting ... but I bet it would come down to a putting contest - those who could belly a wedge would have a huge advantage

Bellying a wedge is easy.

Things rarely come down to putting. Book on the left talks about that a bit. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4w, 8iron.

4w because that's the only fairway wood I have and I don't hit my 3 or 4 irons all that well.  8 iron because it seems like it would give me a reasonable approach distance and not be too bad to chip and putt with.  8 iron is also the longest iron in the bag that I hit my best.  What I mean is . . I hit the 3 and 4 pretty poorly, the 5 ok, the 6 and 7 pretty good . .but I hit my 8iron through wedges so much better.  I can hit my 8 iron almost as far as my 7 (and with much better trajectory) and I can hit my 7 almost far as my 5.  So . . .8iron for me.  Hopefully next year it will be the 7.

7 iron and 4 hybrid, the reason is full shots with these two clubs are going to put me out 350 to 375 yards on average which is about the average distance of a par 4.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

23 degree hybrid & 8 iron for me.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Bellying a wedge is easy.

Things rarely come down to putting. Book on the left talks about that a bit. :)

Does that apply if they're putting by blading an iron or bumping a fairway wood?

Does that apply if they're putting by blading an iron or bumping a fairway wood?

I would assume so. A bad putt misses by a smaller margin than a bad full swing shot every time no mstter what club is used. People tend to put undue blame on poor putting not realizing it is a poor long game that results in difficult putts. When I 3 putt it is either because I left myself a very long putt with a poor approach or something silly happened, lip out, crazy sloped green etc.

Dave :-)

I would assume so. A bad putt misses by a smaller margin than a bad full swing shot every time no mstter what club is used. People tend to put undue blame on poor putting not realizing it is a poor long game that results in difficult putts. When I 3 putt it is either because I left myself a very long putt with a poor approach or something silly happened, lip out, crazy sloped green etc.

So if you 3-putt because of a poor approach and you're 50 feet away with a uphill/downhill, left/right breaker, how are you going to do if I take your putter away and you're blading a mid-wedge.  Still a 3-putt?  A 4-putt? A 5-putt?

Note: This thread is 892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!