IGNORED

Full follow through causes occasional topping of the ball

Note: This thread is 3520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

I'm always looking at ways to tweak my swing. I went to the range and concentrated on making a full follow through with pose for the cameras at the finish - a little Rory-ish.

I played on Saturday and found that generally I was striking the ball very nicely. I shot an 81 which is pretty good for me, but I topped several shots. When I practise the swing with a full follow through I can actually feel how that might happen, kind of lifting my body early to get into the finish position.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough. Does anyone have any ideas / drills on how to avoid this ?

• Administrator

At the risk of understating things and being too simple… it sounds like you're simply trying to get to "your finish position" prematurely.

You have to hit the ball first, THEN get to your finish position.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it sounds like you're simply trying to get to "your finish position" prematurely.

Well I'm not as young as I was..........

Thanks for your response Erik...simple is good. I'm sure you're right. Since the finish is my swing thought then I'm probably anxious to make sure I do it. Can you suggest a drill to help, apart from just try not to do it ?

• Administrator

Thanks for your response Erik...simple is good. I'm sure you're right. Since the finish is my swing thought then I'm probably anxious to make sure I do it. Can you suggest a drill to help, apart from just try not to do it ?

I don't know what your swing looks like or whatnot. Could be a bunch of reasons you are thinning the ball.

Sounds like you could keep your lead knee flexed longer and driving forward more before it extends to your finish. But it could be other things too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do have a swing in the 'my swing' section if you wouldn't mind taking a look, although it's only a side on view so may not be very revealing, and is also with my driver off a tee.

Obviously you are doing something that is raising the swing arc of the club head.

Simply raising your head up can do it, if it also raises your shoulders. If the shoulders rise, so do the arms, hands, and finally the club head.

Perhaps you are swaying  to much, either right, or left. When a golfer sways, with out other proper compensations, they change the location of the low point of the swing arc.

As suggested above you might be raising up from the knees, or waist  to get into your finish position. This seems most likely since you shot a good score. Try standing more erect, or as erect as possible and maintain that posture through out your back, and down swing.

I sometimes top the ball because I dip my left side, and/or keep too much weight on my left side during my back swing.

These all all the notes I have on topping a ball. I am sure there are probably more reasons.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
I do have a swing in the 'my swing' section if you wouldn't mind taking a look, although it's only a side on view so may not be very revealing, and is also with my driver off a tee.

Given that one video, my advice above holds: keep the left knee driving down and forward more, to get the hips driving forward more.

You should update your thread with more videos from more angles with more clubs.

I think Erik hit it bang on. Make sure it's the swing itself that is pulling you into the perfect follow through and not something manufactured. If you get that full, beautiful extension BEFORE you hit the the ball, you might miss the ball entirely.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I was having the same issue at the beginning of the year and fixed it by doing exactly what Erik described.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Happens to me when I get to steep on the upswing and , topping the woods and sculling the irons feels like I trying to hit to much up than normal, lose balance.

Hi

I'm always looking at ways to tweak my swing. I went to the range and concentrated on making a full follow through with pose for the cameras at the finish - a little Rory-ish.

I played on Saturday and found that generally I was striking the ball very nicely. I shot an 81 which is pretty good for me, but I topped several shots. When I practise the swing with a full follow through I can actually feel how that might happen, kind of lifting my body early to get into the finish position.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough. Does anyone have any ideas / drills on how to avoid this ?

A full follow through is great but you wanna make sure that you never lose your original spine angle at impact. This is the main cause of topping the ball. Here is a drill you might like:

Description: The Cheek Down Drill teaches you how to maintain the posture you establish at address through impact. This helps to eliminate topped and blocked shots.

Summary:

1. Start by taking a few practice swings and as you come through impact turn your rear cheek towards the ground. Stop your finish while your rear cheek is still parallel to the ground and your spine is still tilted down towards the ground with the same amount of tilt you established at address.
2. After you have gotten a good feel for maintaining your posture try hitting some balls. Again, finish with your rear cheek parallel to the ground. Once you get the hang of hit you should hit fewer topped shots and have a much easier time hitting down and taking a divot.

Given that one video, my advice above holds: keep the left knee driving down and forward more, to get the hips driving forward more.

You should update your thread with more videos from more angles with more clubs.

Thanks Erik, I'll try to work on that

A full follow through is great but you wanna make sure that you never lose your original spine angle at impact. This is the main cause of topping the ball. Here is a drill you might like:

Description: The Cheek Down Drill teaches you how to maintain the posture you establish at address through impact. This helps to eliminate topped and blocked shots.

Summary:

1. Start by taking a few practice swings and as you come through impact turn your rear cheek towards the ground. Stop your finish while your rear cheek is still parallel to the ground and your spine is still tilted down towards the ground with the same amount of tilt you established at address.

2. After you have gotten a good feel for maintaining your posture try hitting some balls. Again, finish with your rear cheek parallel to the ground. Once you get the hang of hit you should hit fewer topped shots and have a much easier time hitting down and taking a divot.

I'll give this a try tomorrow, thanks for your input

Note: This thread is 3520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!