IGNORED

GEARS Golf Swing Analysis System

billchao

• Administrator

As some know, we considered getting one, but… see no need. We do like toys, but at the end of the day, that was almost the only reason to get one.

It's just a motion capture system, yes. It uses the same IR cameras and roughly the same methodology as ENSO, yes. The stickers with the dots have to be put on the club a day ahead of time (or you can use a pre-built club). Cameras capture at about 360 FPS IIRC.

I've heard from people I trust it's really not very good at anatomical things because it doesn't account for the fact that the stickers aren't on the joints themselves and yet the software assumes heavily that it's measuring what the joints are doing, and thus, the bones and the core structure of the body.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to GEARS Golf Swing Analysis System
  • Administrator
On 8/28/2014 at 6:56 PM, billchao said:

1588726911549.jpeg

Want to know why you slice? This product can tell you *exactly* what's going wrong.

Seems excessive. I'm a big proponent of high speed video, radar, and all sorts of tools to help analyze the golf swing, but do I really need to know how fast my clubhead is rotating through impact, or what groove the ball made contact on? I can see a lot of data and information being gathered, but can it really be applied positively to fix someone's swing? I don't think so, but maybe I'm limited in vision.

What do you guys think?

What do you think now, @billchao?

In case it's not obvious, I was a bit bored so searched for "GEARS" in topic titles. I found this one and a few others. 😉 It's interesting to look back…

On 8/29/2014 at 3:01 PM, iacas said:

We checked it out at the PGA Show in January. I can say quite a bit about it, and there's about a 5-10% chance we get one at Golf Evolution.

See? I was right. 😉

On 11/1/2015 at 11:31 AM, iacas said:

As some know, we considered getting one, but… see no need. We do like toys, but at the end of the day, that was almost the only reason to get one.

Needs change, and the software is a HELLUVA lot better now than it was in 2015.

It's just a motion capture system, yes. It uses the same IR cameras and roughly the same methodology as ENSO, yes. The stickers with the dots have to be put on the club a day ahead of time (or you can use a pre-built club). Cameras capture at about 360 FPS IIRC.

Cameras are 240 (you can get 360 fps cameras for about 40% more cost… with no real improvement or whatever to the measurements, etc.) and they now have a way to mark up a club in a few minutes, not overnight.

I've heard from people I trust it's really not very good at anatomical things because it doesn't account for the fact that the stickers aren't on the joints themselves and yet the software assumes heavily that it's measuring what the joints are doing, and thus, the bones and the core structure of the body.

As I said, the software improved. Back then, it got a few things a bit "weird" as compared to AMM.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

What do you think now, @billchao?

In case it's not obvious, I was a bit bored so searched for "GEARS" in topic titles. I found this one and a few others. 😉 It's interesting to look back…

It’s fantastic, can’t wait to get back on it 😃

In 2014 I think I was a 19 index. I’m not sure I would have gotten as much out of it back then.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread