IGNORED

Apple's Awesome Thread (was 9/9 Event Thread)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

You could get a Note 7. I hear they're hot right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

You could get a Note 7. I hear they're hot right now.

Smoking HOT!

Michael

3 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I'll take a screenshot next time. Basically a banner asking if I want to update now, later or no thanks. No matter which option I choose it asks for my password so it can install. At that point my only options are to install the thing, ask to be reminded later or I can disagree to the terms.  I get it several times a day. My current iOS works just fine and I'm not keen on the changes that iOS 10 brings.  Really starting to hate iPhones, love my MacBook, but the iPhone is really starting to piss me off. 

Yes, it's a modal popup and I find it annoying too, only gives you a remind you later option. To be fair, Android is the same with its updates. On the desktop, Windows 10 is getting all sorts of bad press regarding its updates. It's everywhere if you're thinking of switching over because of it. Industry standard, SOP.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

To be fair (hopefully), particularly with Windows and stuff, updates are often important from a security standpoint.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is the modal popup you probably got, @Ernest Jones

vlUzt6N.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yep. image.pngimage.pngApparently, there is no **** off forever option. My wife's phone was all ****ed up after the upgrade with automatic wifi assist and god knows what else. Battery is dead by lunch. Can't wait to see the bill...

Apple can go choke on a rusty dick as far as I'm concerned. Soon as Samsung starts offering a free fire extinguisher with their phones, I'm done with Apple. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Yep. image.pngimage.pngApparently, there is no **** off forever option. My wife's phone was all ****ed up after the upgrade with automatic wifi assist and god knows what else. Battery is dead by lunch. Can't wait to see the bill...

Apple can go choke on a rusty dick as far as I'm concerned. Soon as Samsung starts offering a free fire extinguisher with their phones, I'm done with Apple. :-)

Ha ha. You'll have to pry my iPhone from my cold dead hands. :mellow:

Steve

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

Yep. Apparently, there is no **** off forever option. My wife's phone was all ****ed up after the upgrade with automatic wifi assist and god knows what else. Battery is dead by lunch. Can't wait to see the bill...

You can turn wifi assist off. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

7 hours ago, jamo said:

You can turn wifi assist off. 

I know and I have. My wife didn't know and wasn't asked about turning it on. I suppose she should have read the Terms and Conditions, but nobody does and Apple (and other companies) like to take advantage of that. 

What else should I know about iOS 10? Any other battery and data sucking features I should turn off?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I know and I have. My wife didn't know and wasn't asked about turning it on. I suppose she should have read the Terms and Conditions, but nobody does and Apple (and other companies) like to take advantage of that. 

What else should I know about iOS 10? Any other battery and data sucking features I should turn off?

Usually after every upgrade, there are slews of complaints and the corresponding pieces on what to try:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/09/21/how-to-fix-bad-ios-10-battery-life/

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-ios-10-battery-life-drain-problems.html

• Upvote 1

Steve

34 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Thanks, I see there is a way to downgrade the iOS back to a previous version. I'll probably just have her do that. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

On 10/7/2016 at 5:56 AM, Ernest Jones said:

Another thing I noticed is if there's a software update, the settings icon will have a red badge. If you download the update (which it automatically does I think if you have wifi and a full battery or in the process of charging), but don't install, just leave it there and procrastinate, those warnings will keep hounding you. You can stop them by going into settings and deleting the download, which also frees up space if you need it, probably about 1.5 gigs but when you actually want the update, you'll have to download it again.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Siri, and voice dictation, gets better over time, but sometimes people don't notice.

I've been using the Google swipe keyboard on the iPhone, but it doesn't do dictation, and I'm considering switching back for that reason alone. Plus I've gotten too fast at swiping and I'm probably not faster because I have to correct errors than if I typed normally. So I have to slow back down again.

And, weirdly, drawing on my watch works really well for typing out a message. Like freakishly well…

• 2 weeks later...

Had to replace my 9 y/o iMac this past weekend when it finally died. I ended up with a Mac Mini. Was hesitant because Apple hasn't come out with a revision on that model in some time. But I needed something and it was really all I could afford.

The purchase took me on a trip down memory lane... This is only the fourth Mac I've owned since the late 80's. Other than taunting my wife and kids whenever their Windows computer's took a crap, I've never been one to join the Mac vs PC debate. Still, three computers in 17 years says a lot IMO. 

My first was an SE/30 (the Motorola 030 chip was the shit back then). I installed the 24 bit video card myself so I could use a 14" color monitor. No network, no modem, not even a CD drive. Just a floppy "superdrive". If memory serves, the dealer put a 20 mb hard drive in it. I upgraded the RAM to 5mb. Seems surreal, but that did the trick when working in Photoshop and Illustrator.

The OS was easy to work on. You had Extensions and Control Panels. If there was a software problem it was usually due to a conflict with those two types of files. All you had to do was find the guilty party - and there was an easy method of doing that - then disable it to eliminate the conflict. There were ADB ports, serial ports and a SCSI connector (those were fun). 

The last I heard that machine will still boot up.

Jon

Visual Studio for OS X announced, then link deleted. Hopefully MS added and improved to Xamarin. But VS available on a Mac w/full backing of Microsoft. Huh.

IC863335.png

Steve

• 5 months later...

Steve

VS for Mac?  Is there much call for that?

Anyways I'm more of a command line person, so even though I code on Macs, I don't use Xcode.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!