IGNORED

Apple's Awesome Thread (was 9/9 Event Thread)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Way to expensive for a watch.

It's obviously not just a watch.

And your phones cost about $700 or so… remember that. They don't cost $99 or $199.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am curious as to why they didn't keep one version the same size as the current iPhone and just make the 2nd version bigger. I'm not sure I want my phone to be any bigger than it is. (I have the 5s, for reference)

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Yeah, not gonna get it, but will go to the store and try it to see if I'm missing any potential uses. I think that might be a problem because you have to pair it up with an iPhone. You'll need to be signed into both the watch and phone I'm guessing.

Battery life was not mentioned. I think it's not going to be very good if they didn't.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm probably going with an iPhone 6. The plus just seems too big. Watch? I dunno. I don't normally wear one, so I probably will skip it.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

• Administrator
Yeah, not gonna get it, but will go to the store and try it to see if I'm missing any potential uses. I think that might be a problem because you have to pair it up with an iPhone. You'll need to be signed into both the watch and phone I'm guessing.

Battery life was not mentioned. I think it's not going to be very good if they didn't.

A day. They said that by pointing out how easy it would be to charge nightly.

One use (nowhere near worth $349): to activate the recording on an iPhone 6 240 FPS camera for when you're practicing your golf swing. A remote control. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A day. They said that by pointing out how easy it would be to charge nightly.

One use (nowhere near worth $349): to activate the recording on an iPhone 6 240 FPS camera for when you're practicing your golf swing. A remote control. :)

That's a great point! Perhaps other things like zoom in/out, change fps, stuff like that.  Also learned that the phone... errrr... watch goes into save energy mode when you put your hand in certain positions.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm gonna see a one more thing like the iPhone in my lifetime. That's something that just comes along once in a generation or two. Glad to have witnessed one of them.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
So how does this "Apple Pay" thing work?

One time numbers securely stored on your phone. Tap To pay. NEither Apple nor the retailer know much information. Apple knows nothing, the retailer obviously knows the cost.

I'll need some convincing to shell out $350 for the watch (maybe some cool Game Golf like ability) but I'm ready for the 6 Plus.  I've considered a Samsung Galaxy for a while but I have so much invested in Apple at this point I couldn't see moving platforms just for a bigger screen, now I won't have to.  Though $400 for the 32GB 6 Plus is pretty rich for a phone these days

As for the price of the iWatch, it's in line with the top of line heart rate / GPS watches from Polar and Garmin, so if that's their target market, it's not a bad move, especially if it offers additional phone features on the watch.  I like the idea of using the watch to accept or reject a call versus having to take the phone out of my pocket.

Joe Paradiso

... but I'm ready for the 6 Plus.  I've considered a Samsung Galaxy for a while but I have so much invested in Apple at this point I couldn't see moving platforms just for a bigger screen, now I won't have to.

I just saw the picture of the 5S, 6, and 6 plus side by side.  A co-worker has a 5S and I could compare that to my 4S.  The 6, I think, is going to seem enormous to me, and I think that the 6S is going to be too much.

What's the screen size on the galaxy?

As for the price of the iWatch, it's in line with the top of line heart rate / GPS watches from Polar and Garmin, so if that's their target market, it's not a bad move, especially if it offers additional phone features on the watch.  I like the idea of using the watch to accept or reject a call versus having to take the phone out of my pocket.

It's also true that we still don't know a lot of the Watch's specifics. Especially related to wireless capabilities, GPS, etc. On a slightly sadder note: Apple finally killed off the iPod Classic today. RIP (Mine just sits in my car.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The only thing I can say is, Arrrgh. I just bought each of my kids an iPhone 5S. Only $50 discount from the original list price to boot.

Oh well, at least we have handset insurance, maybe well trade in for the 6S in 6 months. :-P

I just saw the picture of the 5S, 6, and 6 plus side by side.  A co-worker has a 5S and I could compare that to my 4S.  The 6, I think, is going to seem enormous to me, and I think that the 6S is going to be too much.

Pretty big. I can fit the kids' iphone 5S on top of the active screen area of my Galaxy.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Which Galaxy?

The note 4 is going to have a 5.7 inch screen and the note edge is going to be 5.6, with a small side screen. I really want the edge, but will probably settle for the note 4.

I believe the s5 is 5.1, my current note 2 is 5.5.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Which Galaxy?

The note 4 is going to have a 5.7 inch screen and the note edge is going to be 5.6, with a small side screen. I really want the edge, but will probably settle for the note 4.

I believe the s5 is 5.1, my current note 2 is 5.5.

Yeah, I was thinking this. S1, 2, 3, 4, Note (multiple models), R, K, M, Y models? So many.

Smartphone/Tablet Sizes -- Apple 4.0" 4.7" 5.5" 7.9" 9.7" Samsung 4.27" 4.5" 4.8" 5.0" 5.1" 5.5" 5.7" 6.3" 7.0" 8.0" 8.4" 10.1" 10.5" 12.2"

Did Apple ever name one of its devices, Plus? Feels very un Apple like.

Steve

• Administrator

Did Apple ever name one of its devices, Plus? Feels very un Apple like.

Yes.

Heck, one of the first Apple computers ever was the Apple II Plus .

Yes. Heck, one of the first Apple computers ever was the [URL=http://apple2history.org/history/ah06/]Apple II Plus[/URL].

Doh! I totally forgot. Faith restored. :-)

Steve

I think you guys will like the bigger phones more than you expect.  I didn't care to get a bigger phone when I dropped apple for the android lines, but I really do think its an improvement.  If feels strange at first, but you get used to it.  That being said, I do think that going above 5 inches can be problematic.  I find that I can just barely reach the far corner of the screen on my 5" S4 without changing my grip.  People have different sized hands of course, but if you're other hand is occupied it could be annoying if you can't reach everything on the screen without regripping.

I suspect that the watch will be a bid deal in the future, even if its not quite ready for prime time.

I'm also intrigued by mobile payments generally, and the idea of Apple pay.  But it has to reach a level of ubiquity to become really useful, and if it becomes an apple v google thing, that might be difficult.

Of course there is also the security issue. I was just reading an article on wire d about how a guy hacked into his apple, google, twitter, and amazon accounts, and remote wiped iphone, ipad, and macbook.  Basically, once he got into amazon he could see the last 4 digits of the guy's credit card, which was pretty much all he needed for Apple support to let him in.  From the google and twitter password resets were filtered through the apple email, which the hackers controlled.  Scary stuff.  But at the end of the day, as with all these security breaches, if you're using credit cards you'll usually end up fine.  Its just a PITA.  And if someone gets into those accounts, they can probably get all your bank info regardless of whether you use Apple Pay.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 2454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!