IGNORED

My Swing (pecos24)

pecos24
Note: This thread is 2933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Off and on for 28 years.

My current handicap index or average score is: Handicap Index 32.2

My typical ball flight is: Probably high, but my shots are very inconsistent

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Inconsistent ball striking.

Videos:

If the videos are not good enough I will try with a different camera.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations on creating a MySwing thread! Unfortunately, that's probably the easiest part of getting better at golf. The good news is there are plenty of people here to help!

You might want to check out this thread:

The one thing I want to point out for you in the future is that your camera angles are a little off. It's not going to matter so much right now, but for the future, the proper angles are important so that we can observe what is really happening in your swing without distortion. More on that here (this is also linked in the thread I posted above): http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Are you familiar with the 5 Simple Keys? If not, here is a good place to start:

You're having problems consistently hitting the golf ball because your Key #1 needs work. That is your priority piece at the moment. You move your head back and away from the target quite a bit during your backswing, which basically changes your body's relationship to the golf ball from where it was at address. In order for you to hit the ball well, you have to move your head back forward during your downswing, and the rate at which you move your head back will vary slightly from swing to swing, thus leading to your inconsistent contact. You have quite a few pieces that you do fairly well, so I think getting that head movement eliminated will clean up a lot of things in your swing right away.

I would start with a little setup adjustment. First, your grip is a little on the weak side. More importantly, you should flare both your feet outwards and bow out your knees (a little as if you were riding a horse). The foot flares and turning the knees outwards allows your hips to move more effectively in the backswing and downswing. You can see in your backswing that you roll onto the side of your right foot, which is part of the reason for your swaying. Flaring the right foot will help you do a couple of things that will keep your head from moving back so much.

For the actual movement you need to do in your backswing, you need to turn your more downwards towards the ground instead of backwards away from the target, and your right shoulder is going up and around behind you. When you get to the top of the backswing, you should feel like your entire right side is stretching.

For a good drill, imagine someone is holding a hula hoop around your shoulders (or better yet, have someone actually do this), perpendicular to your spine. Make your backswing by tracing the hula hoop with your left shoulder. It's going to feel like you are turning your shoulders pretty steep because you turn them too flat. Turn your left shoulder down and around in your backswing instead of away from the target.

Sorry, it got a little wordy. Hope it helps.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For the actual movement you need to do in your backswing, you need to turn your more downwards towards the ground instead of backwards away from the target, and your right shoulder is going up and around behind you.

Agree with Bill here, your left side has to "bend" down longer. You left knee and left shoulder travel too far back, to your right. Some good videos for you to check out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike and Bill for the feed back.  I'll get to work!

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

• 7 months later...

I need to get off my tail and get a new video posted.

In the meantime I was wondering if there is a drill that would help me work on swinging out?  I really have to concentrate on swinging the club head out, if not, I tend to pull my irons and slice my driver.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

In the meantime I was wondering if there is a drill that would help me work on swinging out?  I really have to concentrate on swinging the club head out, if not, I tend to pull my irons and slice my driver.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

• 11 months later...

I finally have a tripod to set my phone on and I will try to make regular posts.  

I am going to be working on my driver to start with and see how it goes.  I see I have not improved key #1 since I posted my first video 2 years ago.  Time to get to work!

I am hitting a practice ball, since this was done in the yard.  I'll try to get vids at the range when I have a chance.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I didn't plan on posting another video this soon but I went to the range today and was consciously making an effort to rotate my shoulder down and not around.  I do believe that part is better but at the end of my back swing I still twist my head.  Am I overdoing my back swing? (I realize in this video I am not quite out far enough but I thought it was good enough for what I was practicing) 

(I am not embedding the video properly, showing up as an attachment, when I get it figured out I'll put the video in)

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

1 hour ago, pecos24 said:

I didn't plan on posting another video this soon but I went to the range today and was consciously making an effort to rotate my shoulder down and not around.  I do believe that part is better but at the end of my back swing I still twist my head.  Am I overdoing my back swing? (I realize in this video I am not quite out far enough but I thought it was good enough for what I was practicing) 

(I am not embedding the video properly, showing up as an attachment, when I get it figured out I'll put the video in)

Key 1 is getting better but your head is still swaying back on your back swing raising up before impact.  Don't worry about anything else until you get it 100% fixed.  What worked for me was to make swing without a ball in your house looking into a mirror making sure my head wasn't moving.  Also make slow swing working on this.  Once you have it down at a slower speed you can add more speed.  Don't get impatient Key 1 takes a while stick with it.   Also check out this thread.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/54840-simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-ss-of-great-practice/#comment-756790

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2016 at 3:24 AM, Jakester23 said:

Key 1 is getting better but your head is still swaying back on your back swing raising up before impact.  Don't worry about anything else until you get it 100% fixed.  What worked for me was to make swing without a ball in your house looking into a mirror making sure my head wasn't moving.  Also make slow swing working on this.  Once you have it down at a slower speed you can add more speed.  Don't get impatient Key 1 takes a while stick with it.   Also check out this thread.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/54840-simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-ss-of-great-practice/#comment-756790

This. The start of the backswing definitely looks better and the sway is reducing, so good work there :-). Just keep recording yourself and checking it over and over again. You might need to feel like your head moves left in order to keep it steady - whatever works, the camera won't lie. 

Good to see you posting more regularly though - keep it up, it'll only get better!

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

On 4/12/2016 at 8:24 PM, Jakester23 said:

23 hours ago, b101 said:

This. The start of the backswing definitely looks better and the sway is reducing, so good work there :-). Just keep recording yourself and checking it over and over again. You might need to feel like your head moves left in order to keep it steady - whatever works, the camera won't lie. 

Good to see you posting more regularly though - keep it up, it'll only get better!

Thank you for the replies they are much appreciated!

Now that I finally have a tripod I will be recording more frequently, I can see where that can be a great tool for not just posting here but analyzing my swing at home. I went to the range yesterday but did not record I wish I would have!  

I think I am doing a pretty good job on the back swing but I still have some work to do after impact.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

3 hours ago, pecos24 said:

Thank you for the replies they are much appreciated!

Now that I finally have a tripod I will be recording more frequently, I can see where that can be a great tool for not just posting here but analyzing my swing at home. I went to the range yesterday but did not record I wish I would have!  

I think I am doing a pretty good job on the back swing but I still have some work to do after impact.

That's good to hear. Just so you know you might be working on keeping your head steady  for a while. It won't be fixed in a week or two. Stick with it and stick around there are some of the best instructors onthe planet on here giving free advice. If you have any interest in lessons check out this link. http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/ The lessons are online at a very reasonable price. They do a great job look at a few other swing thread and you will see what they can do.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!