IGNORED

Reclined airline seats debate

ditchparrot19
Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you recline your seat on an airplane?

• Yes
    • No

Two flights were diverted recently due to disputes over reclined seats. I'm not a super-frequent flyer, but I have to take four or five trips a year for work that involve multiple flights and I absolutely detest the time I have to spend either on a plane or in an airport.

I've never once reclined my seat when someone was behind me and I never will. I believe it to be rude as hell and that it exacerbates an already stressful situation, but apparently I'm in the minority of Americans in that view (according to a national poll).

I'm 6'2" and oftentimes when the person in front of me reclines, the back of the seat falls within about an inch of my knees. I always express my displeasure immediately and if the person responds with an I-don't-give-a-rat's-ass attitude I'll make certain that I "inadvertently" drive my knee with a considerable amount of force into the back of the seat at least a couple of times during the flight while changing positions or getting up to use the restroom. "Accidents" do happen, after all.

I read an article that mentioned that a couple of low-budget carriers (Spirit and Allegiant Air) have removed the reclining feature entirely. I'd book with one of them every time if I could, but it doesn't appear if they'll be an option for me very often.

Which side do you folks fall on?

John

• Administrator
I believe it to be rude as hell and that it exacerbates an already stressful situation, but apparently I'm in the minority of Americans in that view (according to a national poll).

I'll make certain that I "inadvertently" drive my knee with a considerable amount of force into the back of the seat at least a couple of times during the flight while changing positions or getting up to use the restroom. "Accidents" do happen, after all.

Those two statements are at odds with one another. You're opposed to being rude, you acknowledge that you're in the minority, and yet you do something that is intentionally rude and not at all a "right" afforded to you by the very nature and design of the thing (i.e. seats allow you to recline; a person reclining is doing a perfectly expectable thing that is, again, the majority choice).

I don't recline very often, but sometimes I do, typically when someone small is behind me (or nobody), I really want to take a nap and the edge of the seat isn't providing any support for my head (either against a window or the neighboring seat), etc.

I'm also more comfortable sitting up, too, though. My car seats are always more upright than most.

I don't begrudge the people who recline in front of me. It's their right to do so. Does it suck? Yes. But so does having to wait in line at the bank or whatever - I'm not gonna get mad at people for going to the bank. Besides, airline seats recline about four inches these days.

P.S. Poll added. Seriously, why don't people add polls to obvious poll-deserving questions?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's polite to ask. If someone behind me asked me to not recline, sure I'll do it. I'm not going to be a dick about it. Airplanes suck. I'm not trying to make it more uncomfortable for someone else. If I want to recline, I'll ask the person behind me. So, it depends. I think if you ask the person in front to stop reclining and he doesn't do it, it's a dick move. Unless you are 4'8. However, I would not recline if the person behind me is 7'3 or fake Hasheem Thabeet... http://deadspin.com/if-hasheem-thabeet-sits-behind-you-in-coach-dont-recli-1627402297

Riley

Cool question, an ill reserve my comments about the original post because Erik already addressed that and I happen to agree with him 100 percent on this one! Do I recline my seat? Yes, I don't have any reservations about reclining, and no, I have absolutely no issue with others doing so either! I don't consider my self a frequent flyer, but I travel a considerable amount and not once has someone asked me not to do so, and not have I ever asked someone not to do so! I am not that tall, but I still feel cramped when someone is reclined, but if the airlines didn't intend for it to be that way they would just make it an unavailable option! Actually, the thought of asking someone in front of me to stop reclining has never even crossed my mind, and I didn't think that anyone would ever ask either... Would I accommodate someone if they did ask me... Yeah, I think I would, but I wouldn't be gap with it (although, I'd probably do it with a smile as to not make the person asking feel like a privileged brat asking of me to forgo my in flight privilege for his comfort) Hey I have an idea, you don't want to feel cramped? Get a first class seat, they are awesome! In fact that is the whole point of getting a first class seat, so that you can do wetfyw while getting served every other need and getting every other perk on a flight ;), don't sit in coach and then complain about the rotten conditions you have to live with, and the lack of leg room, plus the occasional overweight two seat hogging passenger! It comes with the territory and you either get with it or find another mode of transportation or dish out the money to be in a high class setting :) Hmmmm, this post took a weird turn, but I'm clicking submit anyway without proofing!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

The recline feature is there, so I use it if I want to, but not trying to make the situation more complicated than necessary.

Flights has to divert because of recline arguments between passengers? The level of stupidity in some sometimes amaze me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I would feel like a world class douche asking someone not to recline their seat on an airplane. I fly a lot and have never had someone ask me to not recline my seat, but if I did I would tell them to take a bus next time.

My advice to the OP is to select the first row of seats whenever possible, you'll have a bulwark in front of you instead of seats.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I would feel like a world class douche asking someone not to recline their seat on an airplane. I fly a lot and have never had someone ask me to not recline my seat, but if I did I would tell them to take a bus next time.  My advice to the OP is to select the first row of seats whenever possible, you'll have a bulwark in front of you instead of seats.

What if you were 7'3 :-D

Riley

I rarely fly but I've taken the bus to and from school quite a bit. Maybe I've gotten lucky because most people asked me if it's okay to recline before doing so. I don't recline very often but if there's someone behind me I ask first.

I think in some of the recent reports that ditchparrot19 mentioned, someone used Knee Defenders, which physically prevent the seat in front from reclining. I think it's kind of hilarious.

-Rich

I fly a lot. I mean a lot. I'm 1M miler with united. So I get upgraded to business/first class frequently. Thank goodness there is a lot more leg room there.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I fly quite often for business and never recline my seat if someone is behind me.  I'm 6' 2" and 240 lbs so coach isn't exactly roomy for me but reclining my seat pretty much ensures misery for the person behind me unless they are a kid or very small person.  I think it's time airlines just got rid of seats the recline to avoid the problem.

I also always go for the seats with more legroom if they are offered so I don't have to worry what the person in front of me does.

Joe Paradiso

I don't recline my seat. I don't love it when the person in front of me does it, but I understand that it's considered socially acceptable, so I'm not a dick about it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't recline my seat. I don't love it when the person in front of me does it, but I understand that it's considered socially acceptable, so I'm not a dick about it.

That's very non-goonish of you.

Joe Paradiso

Two flights were diverted recently due to disputes over reclined seats. I'm not a super-frequent flyer, but I have to take four or five trips a year for work that involve multiple flights and I absolutely detest the time I have to spend either on a plane or in an airport. I've never once reclined my seat when someone was behind me and I never will. I believe it to be rude as hell and that it exacerbates an already stressful situation, but apparently I'm in the minority of Americans in that view (according to a national poll). I'm 6'2" and oftentimes when the person in front of me reclines, the back of the seat falls within about an inch of my knees. I always express my displeasure immediately and if the person responds with an I-don't-give-a-rat's-ass attitude I'll make certain that I "inadvertently" drive my knee with a considerable amount of force into the back of the seat at least a couple of times during the flight while changing positions or getting up to use the restroom. "Accidents" do happen, after all. I read an article that mentioned that a couple of low-budget carriers (Spirit and Allegiant Air) have removed the reclining feature entirely. I'd book with one of them every time if I could, but it doesn't appear if they'll be an option for me very often. Which side do you folks fall on?

Want more legroom, fly first class. The guy in front of you paid for his seat too. What side so I fall on? The side that thinks you're being a prick. FWIW, I fly over 100 flights per year. The vast majority, in the back of the bus. Love me an upgrade when I get it though! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I fly frequently.

The only time I have ever used the recline function was when there was no row directly behind me. I consider it the height of rudeness.

I have been made very uncomfortable by people in front using theirs.

With space in planes being used up by extra seats, I think the recline function on all seats that can interfere with seats behind them should be disabled.

The thing is that you don't need to have a seat that reclines, so why not make sure that everyone is treated fairly?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Most of the time I don't recline and when I do I only go back a little. I am amazed at how far back some people crank that seat back, I wouldn't even find the position comfortable.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I like it when the person in front of me reclines. That way I can just lay back and hike my legs over their seat and let my feet rest against their chest.

• Administrator

FWIW, I'm on board with any plans or companies that remove the "recline" feature on their seats.

Suits me just fine.

But if they choose not to, and stay the same as they are now, well, that's fine too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Want more legroom, fly first class. The guy in front of you paid for his seat too. What side so I fall on? The side that thinks you're being a prick.

FWIW, I fly over 100 flights per year. The vast majority, in the back of the bus. Love me an upgrade when I get it though!

That is a shitload of flying.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!