IGNORED

Anyone play the "Monster" course in the NY Catskills ?

imsys0042
Note: This thread is 2110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did a quick search for it here. I didn't see anything. It's a course at a popular resort from the 50s and 60s. They have a second course called the International that is decent and privileges at a third course called the Grossinger. The Grossinger was a pretty nice course as well. I think it's not very well visited these days. Anyway the Monster's claim to fame is length. It's a long course that requires you to hit a lot of long approach shots. I played it on two different occasions and had a nice time. Wonder how it holds up to modern distances however. It had a 250 uphill par 3 that would still require a 3-wood from me today. Surrounded by bunkers, iirc. Or anyone play anything else with that kind of punishing length?

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played it a few times about 20 years ago when I was in college. Don't remember anything specific about it.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping it up from another thread in the Grill Room.   The Monster basically relies on length to beat you up.   A lot of long irons and hybrids will be hit into greens.   Some notable holes are:

#4 -  par five.   you get left with a tight second shot, lake on the left.   If you lay up in front of it, you basically cannot get on in 3.  You need to take the path to the right which is tight.

#6 - one of only 2 par 4s that are under 400 yards from the men's tees.

#7 - uphill par 3 that is 231 from men's tees.   elevation approx 30-40 feet, IIRC.

#13 - to get a short-ish shot to the green , I think your best bet is to launch it through a gap in some trees.

It's fun, but it's a long, long course.   Would be interested to see how I would play now.   Beautiful too.   I haven't played in over 7 years.

Monster-Scorecard.JPG

—Adam

Thought I would add the GG course information. http://www.gamegolf.com/golfcourse/11210

Here's a round by Joe http://www.gamegolf.com/player/knowprblm/round/436012 Looks like he played the back 9 twice and shot 88.

Here's a compete round: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/toddshaffer13/round/363744

Wow, the 4th hole is long. . .Todd drove 301 yards and still doubled the hole!

It really looks like a monster.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Looking at where Todd drove it, that's a bit risky as well.   That lake is really in play, especially for longer hitters.   I'm surprised by the CR/Slope.   I would have thought the slope would be higher.   My home course is 6600 (7000 from the back) and slope of 145/148.   I would imagine it's because it's a pretty course with not a lot of tricks to it.   If you hit the ball straight and "long enough" you'll do fine.   Just be hitting longer clubs that you are used to, all day....

—Adam

30 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Looking at where Todd drove it, that's a bit risky as well.   That lake is really in play, especially for longer hitters.   I'm surprised by the CR/Slope.   I would have thought the slope would be higher.   My home course is 6600 (7000 from the back) and slope of 145/148.   I would imagine it's because it's a pretty course with not a lot of tricks to it.   If you hit the ball straight and "long enough" you'll do fine.   Just be hitting longer clubs that you are used to, all day....

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but that's probably one of many reasons a long hitter like Todd is a 30 handicap.

I also noticed that GG seems to rate courses lower than other sources, however, it also seems to be very generous with handicaps. This is the only time where I think I can enjoy being a 7 handicap, but I'm sure it will settle up to my actual handicap soon. For a brief moment, I was even 6.4 until it figured out how I actually play. :-D

Strange, but I figure it will improve as they improve and update the SW.

The course is beautiful, and I really like the GG map of it. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but that's probably one of many reasons a long hitter like Todd is a 30 handicap.

I noticed that GG seems to rate courses lower than other sources, however, it also seems to be very generous with handicaps. This is the only time where I think I can enjoy being a 7 handicap. For a brief moment, I was even 6.4 until it figured out how I actually play. :-D

Strange, but I figure it will improve as they improve and update the SW.

I thought it was generous with handicaps because it rated courses as more difficult. Though I guess it's hard to say because they don't use course ratings or slope for their calculations.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

10 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I thought it was generous with handicaps because it rated courses as more difficult. Though I guess it's hard to say because they don't use course ratings or slope for their calculations.

That explains a lot! GHIN calculates and displays differentials. So, at least on the non-practice rounds I can display a differential with the GHIN application.

In any case, the GG depiction of my home course seems relatively accurate, so I am guessing it will be roughly the same for Monster as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

That explains a lot!

GHIN calculates and displays differentials. So, on the non-practice rounds I can display a differential.

Yeah GG is predominantly yardage based. But the benefit of their system is that the yardage is determined by where you tag and not by the scorecard. So you could play from multiple tee boxes in the same round and it would still give you an accurate calculation of performance.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I'm surprised by the CR/Slope.   I would have thought the slope would be higher.

I'm guessing it's because while it's really long, there aren't a ton of forced carries that would really challenge a bogey golfer.

Kevin

21 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I'm guessing it's because while it's really long, there aren't a ton of forced carries that would really challenge a bogey golfer.

There are probably 2-4.  My own place has a lot more.   

—Adam

38 minutes ago, natureboy said:

With the course rating so high the slope rating doesn't have to be very steep to push the differentials.

• 2 years later...

Anyone have knowledge on the Concord Renovation by Rees Jones? As of Today (7/9/18) it appears no work has been done. Also stopped by Grossinger's and noticed the course is being kept in excellent shape. Any news on that, or just maintaining to prevent more work/expense down the road?

Note: This thread is 2110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!