IGNORED

My Swing (burton9190)

burton9190
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 year

My current handicap index or average score is: 17

My typical ball flight is: Used to be a draw, now a fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fade/slice with irons

I'm going out of my mind. I had a good start to season dropping by 4 shots and now my draw/push draw has turned into a slice with my irons. I still draw my woods.

Had a furious bout of the shanks about 2 months ago which I am only just getting over.

Videos:

A few set up things,

Your posture is too arched in the lower back. your head is too up, need to have the chin down more. Check out this thread on posture,

I would work on a centered pivot. You are really all upper body turn. You are robbing yourself of power and accuracy. I would check out this video. Really work on getting that right knee to loose some flex in the backswing earlier.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey, here is the deal. We can't tell anything with practice swings. We all got good practice swings.  Let us see you hit a ball.

Anyway, your swing looks good. All you have to do now is practice like crazy. And I mean a lot. We all have to. Practice only hitting half swings to get used to the feel when you hit a shot solid, off the middle of the face. Do this thousands of time with each club. Make em go straight. Then build up to a full swing.

Hey, here is the deal. We can't tell anything with practice swings. We all got good practice swings.  Let us see you hit a ball.

Anyway, your swing looks good. All you have to do now is practice like crazy. And I mean a lot. We all have to. Practice only hitting half swings to get used to the feel when you hit a shot solid, off the middle of the face. Do this thousands of time with each club. Make em go straight. Then build up to a full swing.

I've seen a lot of shitty practice swings in my life time. Most practice swings mimic a real swing anyways. So if the swing is bad, the practice swing will be bad. People just don't take full speed swings, so they just think it feels better, when it really is still crap.

Practice what? What piece does he need to work on? How does he need to work on it? Sorry to bust your chops, but to just blindly saying, "You just need to practice like crazy" is really bad advice. Majority of amateurs practice with no purpose or guidance. They end up drilling bad habits into their swing. To say he needs to hit thousands of golf balls is completely wrong. Heck a lot of amateurs can't even find the center of the clubface with a half swing. Hitting a thousand golf balls will only make them better at not hitting the center of the clubface.

For @burton9190 out this thread on how to practice. http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've seen a lot of shitty practice swings in my life time. Most practice swings mimic a real swing anyways. So if the swing is bad, the practice swing will be bad. People just don't take full speed swings, so they just think it feels better, when it really is still crap.

Practice what? What piece does he need to work on? How does he need to work on it? Sorry to bust your chops, but to just blindly saying, "You just need to practice like crazy" is really bad advice. Majority of amateurs practice with no purpose or guidance. They end up drilling bad habits into their swing. To say he needs to hit thousands of golf balls is completely wrong. Heck a lot of amateurs can't even find the center of the clubface with a half swing. Hitting a thousand golf balls will only make them better at not hitting the center of the clubface.

For @burton9190 and you, check out this thread on how to practice. http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

maybe I should have been clearer Mr. Burton9190. My concern was that the lad was getting already frustrated and was looking for some miracle cure. His problems are inconsistency. The reality is it takes years of practice. And when I say practice I mean a purposeful and deliberate approach. I didn't say just go out there and hit balls. I assumed he was smarter than that.

Alright steady on Mr @Steve Hutch .

I know I need to get some proper swings uploaded, I just uploaded what I had access to at the time. Bear with me and I will get them sorted. My ball striking has always been very good (so i've been told from other players and also my coach). Pretty much since I started I have always been told I am under achieving with my golf, just recently it has just taken a big step backwards in terms of ball striking and consistency - I was only after opinions so that I could try and find some feelings or swing thoughts that might help me improve my swing and help me enjoy my golf a lot more - NOT a miracle cure. That doesn't happen with golf.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk down about me like I'm an idiot because you are a 7 capper. I do realise that to be good at golf you need to practice a hell of a lot.

@saevel25 thanks for the link, will check it out.

Also, I played the monthly medal today whilst really concentrating on my body turn and including my lower body in my swing, I still seem to be struggling to get my draw back; my bad shots were off the toe and leaking to the right. I was however seeing more straight balls than usual. Difficult conditions, very wintery and shot a nett 72. I'll take that.

@burton9190 ,

That is a pretty good swing and handicap for playing just one year.  You can post videos hitting into a net or even whiffleballs too if it is difficult at the range.  I agree with @saevel25 on his recommendations. I would also look at the thread below especially Key 2 Weight Forward at impact.  This drill helps getting your lower body to do its job, which would reduce the arms taking over.  And remember to work on it slowly.  It is hard to change ingrained habits at full speed.  Some range sessions, I don't even take a full speed swing.  This really helps speed up improvement.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For anyone interested, here's a vid of me hitting a ball into my (battered) golf net:

Actually felt like I got hold of these 2, I have tried to work my torso and arms as a single unit in my backswing. I'd appreciate your thoughts, cheers.

@boogielicious thanks for the advice - I don't know why I didn't come here earlier, you lot have answered some questions I've been confused over for a while.

edit: front-on view went a bit tits up so will try again later to get a decent vid.

Couple easy things you can do at address to help. When the weight gets back in the heels it can make it harder for a player to swing outward. So your tailbone is too far back and the eyes are too high.

Check out this thread

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 5 weeks later...

Now then, I've been working pretty hard at this and managed to get a couple of swings filmed today:

Still need to sort out a front-view shot. I'll try sort it today if weather is alright.

Looking at that myself I look like my takeaway is outside the line, where it has always been whipped inside. Hopefully posture is looking a little bit better, I've found it quite hard to change that to be honest.

Not been playing well on the course! No good scores to report, except off the tee I've been better than ever, which is definitely a positive. My irons are still struggling and seem to be getting loads of fat shots.

Cheers.

Now then, I've been working pretty hard at this and managed to get a couple of swings filmed today:

Still seeing the same thing as before.

Couple easy things you can do at address to help. When the weight gets back in the heels it can make it harder for a player to swing outward. So your tailbone is too far back and the eyes are too high.

Check out this thread

Mike McLoughlin

Something a bit more like this?

Yep, that looks great.

Mike McLoughlin

Posture might not be perfect on that vid above but can definitely feel an improvement. The difference of feel in shoulder turn is ridiculous. Feel so much more connected, stable and more controlled through the whole shot. Never occurred to me how much of a big part posture played in the golf swing.

It does look better.  Try slowing it down even more for your practice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!