IGNORED

How to address a cheat (or call him out)

Elmer
Note: This thread is 3201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During league matches we have 1 score card and 1 person keeps score for the 2 person match. However I tend to keep a score card for me with putts & stats etc....

I find that most times during my matches my opponent knows my score right as I drain a putt.

I find more people cheat during outings, when you are no longer keeping an eye on 1 opponent, but playing in a 4 some, against all 4. You are filling up from the keg at the turn and playing a 6 hour round because the group in front of you is slow.

I have had this happen to me on more than one occasion. You hit a great shot, (in my case drive a green on a short par 4), get up to the spot where you are sure your ball should be and NOPE, not there.

I had a group of older women pick up my ball on a green on another fairway they threw it back off the green (only 5 yards back). I know I hit into them, but they were playing slow and doing everything a group should not be doing (IE: all driving to 1 ball).

Anyway if you get to a spot and your ball is not there, but your playing group is assured that someone else took it, the only proof you have is that the ball is lost.

It stings but you have to take a drop.

I believe the same goes just like hitting a perfect drive into the fairway, the entire group sees it roll into the fairway and out of sight. You all get to that spot and it is gone.

Could have plugged or fell in a hole, who knows. What we do know is you lost your ball.

I will concede the stroke, but not distance (mostly because If walk from the fairway all the way back to the tee, the current group on the tee would beat me and most likely not let me tee off again). This is pace of play and any of the courses around me would throw me off the course for walking all the way back to the tee from 260 yards to hit my 3rd shot

You just totally lost me with this one.  This is far worse than any cheating your dad may be doing.  No one is physically at risk when he cheats.

But hey, I'm sure that your excuses for doing the inexcusable will go over well with a jury if you ever kill someone doing this.

It is also kind of amusing to have someone start a long thread about calling out his dad for cheating when you yourself admittedly cheat as well - just on different things.  Very amusing indeed.  If you wanted to at least come close to following the rules you would at least add 2 strokes rather than use your "pace of play" argument as an excuse for just cheating by a stroke.

A good rule of thumb:  People who do not play by the rules should not talk about other people cheating.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You just totally lost me with this one.  This is far worse than any cheating your dad may be doing.  No one is physically at risk when he cheats.

But hey, I'm sure that your excuses for doing the inexcusable will go over well with a jury if you ever kill someone doing this.

It is also kind of amusing to have someone start a long thread about calling out his dad for cheating when you yourself admittedly cheat as well - just on different things.  Very amusing indeed.  If you wanted to at least come close to following the rules you would at least add 2 strokes rather than use your "pace of play" argument as an excuse for just cheating by a stroke.

A good rule of thumb:  People who do not play by the rules should not talk about other people cheating.

I should have elaborated on "hitting" into people. I dont knowingly aim at people, but on occasion you get all of it.

One the occasion with the women, I hit to the approach after they left the approach. They all left the approach and went to the green. Then they all went back to the green. My ball landed on the approach and rolled to the green.

On the other occasion, they drove down my fairway when they were playing the fairway that runs parallel and drove right into my shot (they were playing 8 but driving down 7). When they reported me to the ranger he sided with me.

Call me what you will,

But NO course around me will or would allow me to walk from the fareway back to the tee after it is determined that I had lost my ball in the fareway.

But then again I plays alot of Muni's and public courses, with the rest of my my blue collar golfer.

I hope one day to aspire to stick to the rules of Loss of Stroke and Distance, as written and the playing group behind me allows me to slow them up when I retee my 3rd shot!

Hopefully the ranger doesnt toss me off the course for slow play.

But you do realize that the rangers and courses themselves want you to keep pace and they dont care if you play by the rules.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I should have elaborated on "hitting" into people. I dont knowingly aim at people, but on occasion you get all of it.

Call me what you will,

But NO course around me will or would allow me to walk from the fareway back to the tee after it is determined that I had lost my ball in the fareway.

But then again I plays alot of Muni's and public courses, with the rest of my my blue collar golfer.

I hope one day to aspire to stick to the rules of Loss of Stroke and Distance, as written and the playing group behind me allows me to slow them up when I retee my 3rd shot!

Hopefully the ranger doesnt toss me off the course for slow play.

But you do realize that the rangers and courses themselves want you to keep pace and they dont care if you play by the rules.

On your first point, BS.  If it hits a cart path or something that is different.  "Getting all of it" is NOT an excuse for hitting into someone.  In fact there is no excuse for hitting into someone even if they are stupid and slow or even in your fairway.  No matter what the marshal says.

As to your own brand of cheating.  The point is not that you didn't go back and rehit, it is that you cheated on the score by a stroke.  If you had gone back and re-hit and ended up at the exact spot you are dropping you would be lying 3.  By adding a stroke "but not the distance" you make yourself be lying 2.  So it is not just that you didn't go back and re-hit, you scored it in such a way that you stole a stroke.  You are writing down a score a stroke lower than it should be - kind of like dad does.

Look, play however you want - just do not expect much sympathy with your complaints about cheating when you yourself are cheating and excusing it with some bogus pace of play argument.  If you want to do it as right as possible without re-hitting then you add 2 strokes, not one, because THAT is where you would be, score-wise, if you had followed the rule and re-hit..I understand that re-hitting doesn't fly in other than tournament golf in most cases.  But that does not stop you from making a good faith effort to end up in the proper place score-wise, which is a stroke higher than you are scoring.

But the fact that as a practical matter you cannot re-hit does not excuse you from stealing a stroke in the process.

Rich - in name only

On your first point, BS.  If it hits a cart path or something that is different.  "Getting all of it" is NOT an excuse for hitting into someone.  In fact there is no excuse for hitting into someone even if they are stupid and slow or even in your fairway.  No matter what the marshal says.

As to your own brand of cheating.  The point is not that you didn't go back and rehit, it is that you cheated on the score by a stroke.  If you had gone back and re-hit and ended up at the exact spot you are dropping you would be lying 3.  By adding a stroke "but not the distance" you make yourself be lying 2.  So it is not just that you didn't go back and re-hit, you scored it in such a way that you stole a stroke.  You are writing down a score a stroke lower than it should be - kind of like dad does.

Look, play however you want - just do not expect much sympathy with your complaints about cheating when you yourself are cheating and excusing it with some bogus pace of play argument.  If you want to do it as right as possible without re-hitting then you add 2 strokes, not one, because THAT is where you would be, score-wise, if you had followed the rule and re-hit..I understand that re-hitting doesn't fly in other than tournament golf in most cases.  But that does not stop you from making a good faith effort to end up in the proper place score-wise, which is a stroke higher than you are scoring.

But the fact that as a practical matter you cannot re-hit does not excuse you from stealing a stroke in the process.

Where have I said I dont add a stroke?

Where have I said "steal a stroke"

I said the courses I play wont let me retee my 3rd shot (1-tee, 2 lost ball, 3 retee, hitting 4), instead I tee (1), lost (2) lying (4)

Just because I did not specifically say it, dont assume.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator

:offtopic:

Where have I said I dont add a stroke?

Where have I said "steal a stroke"

I said the courses I play wont let me retee my 3rd shot (1-tee, 2 lost ball, 3 retee, hitting 4), instead I tee (1), lost (2) lying (4)

That's not right either.

Stroke 1. You whack your tee shot. You lose it.

Stroke 2. Penalty stroke.

Stroke 3. You re-hit from the tee.

You're lying three, hitting four.

Just because I did not specifically say it, dont assume.

You did say it. You weren't completely clear about it, but you did "say" it: you said you will "add the stroke" but not the distance. The distance (stroke 3 above) is effectively that stroke.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So to get back to the OP,

I went and played 18 with the individual in the OP. I watched closely in preperation for our outing. We were just out there knocking the ball around, which to me means, we were not playing for $, no nassua's, not bets. Therefore I never asked his score and therefore I did not call him out. I went and played my game by the rules of Golf. At the end of the round, which I shot an 89 on a course I have never been on before.  I did take a peek at his card to see what he was giving himself, he had a 78, 6 over par, when it should have been about an 85. The greens were hard and fast and he had a lot of bogies.

However I watched to pick up all his tricks so when we do compete against one another, I can call him out and be prepared to correct his score.

example #1:

He hit his drive into the woods on a par 5. He drove up to the find his drive and we both went a foot into the woods (I went in and found 6 pro v 1's!!!!), out of the corner of my eye I spot him pull a ball out of his pocket and reach down and yell "I found it". He then tosses said ball out of of the woods, not the the rough, but fairway and plays the ball, hit his 2nd shot to the approach. We then drive up 30 yards up and there is a ball sitting in the rough, he then says "that might be mine", to which I responded "really" (he did not pick up on sarcasm). I mean how does he expect me to believe that his ball is 30 yards past my drive, when he just told me he found his in the woods?

I think he gave himself a par or bogie on the hole.

Example 2:

on another par 5, he hit his 2nd shot into a bunker. He yipped and moaned about hitting it thin. Dropped another ball and hit that into the fairway. He went and played the fairway ball. He carded a par.

Shouldn't this be a 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball? (drive, 2nd shot, provisional is 3rd, approach shot 4, chip 5 put 6)

Or how should this be scored?

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

So to get back to the OP, I went and played 18 with the individual in the OP. I watched closely in preperation for our outing. We were just out there knocking the ball around, which to me means, we were not playing for $, no nassua's, not bets. Therefore I never asked his score and therefore I did not call him out. I went and played my game by the rules of Golf. At the end of the round, which I shot an 89 on a course I have never been on before.  I did take a peek at his card to see what he was giving himself, he had a 78, 6 over par, when it should have been about an 85. The greens were hard and fast and he had a lot of bogies. However I watched to pick up all his tricks so when we do compete against one another, I can call him out and be prepared to correct his score. example #1: He hit his drive into the woods on a par 5. He drove up to the find his drive and we both went a foot into the woods (I went in and found 6 pro v 1's!!!!), out of the corner of my eye I spot him pull a ball out of his pocket and reach down and yell "I found it". He then tosses said ball out of of the woods, not the the rough, but fairway and plays the ball, hit his 2nd shot to the approach. We then drive up 30 yards up and there is a ball sitting in the rough, he then says "that might be mine", to which I responded "really" (he did not pick up on sarcasm). I mean how does he expect me to believe that his ball is 30 yards past my drive, when he just told me he found his in the woods? I think he gave himself a par or bogie on the hole.   Example 2: on another par 5, he hit his 2nd shot into a bunker. He yipped and moaned about hitting it thin. Dropped another ball and hit that into the fairway. He went and played the fairway ball. He carded a par. Shouldn't this be a 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball? (drive, 2nd shot, provisional is 3rd, approach shot 4, chip 5 put 6) Or how should this be scored?

If this happened for more than 2 holes, I can't believe he shot under 90 unless he's a phenomenal putter/chipper. Just these two holes would put him at 80 assuming he parred everything else or made some birdies.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If this happened for more than 2 holes, I can't believe he shot under 90 unless he's a phenomenal putter/chipper. Just these two holes would put him at 80 assuming he parred everything else or made some birdies.

2 birdies, which were legitimate.

there were legitimate pars and bogies as well

but it is the disaster holes which if not scored correctly will really add up.

I will admit that he hits the fairway quite often, he can chip & put.

However in the game of golf you have to accept the bad shots and holes. You have to accept when you are having an off day. You have to be humble, you have to be willing to say "I had a bad day".

Even the best golfer shanks one, every once in a while!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tournament took place and the cheater's score was quietly kept accurate. I handed off the score card to someone in the other cart and told them I wanted to keep the cheater from shooting an 8 over. Especially since we played 18 in the rain and the conditions were tough. Puddles on the greens, no run etc.....

on a par 3, he was short of the green, chipped and then 3 putted to which he barked that he had a bogie (4), we put him down for a 5.
On another par 3 he was off the green and his chip rolled 20 ft past the hole. He dropped another ball and chipped close to the hole, he then marked the wrong ball. As he was walking to the further ball to pick it up I grabbed his ball marker, tossed it to him and indicated he marked the wrong ball.

I his final score was an 85, I had an 88.

neither of us won anything!

Of course I dont think this will stop any further instances, since the next day when playing a round and not keeping score he announced he was 2 over after 9. Of course he put one in the trees and never had a 1 put hole.

But I was not keeping score for myself and neither was anyone else, so what do I care!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Skimmed this thread. Wow. Does Jerry Springer still have a TV show? Did I misread someth or is "the individual in the original post" your father? Why would you play with someone that you don't like because they "bend" the rules at differs places than you do?

Respectfully,

Skimmed this thread. Wow. Does Jerry Springer still have a TV show?

Did I misread someth or is "the individual in the original post" your father?

Why would you play with someone that you don't like because they "bend" the rules at differs places than you do?

1-yes he is.

2-I dont "dislike" him. I dislike the compulsive effort to turn in a good score, even when that means cheating.

I enjoy spending time with the individual and we are making up for alot of lost time. When we are both playing well, there is no issue and it is alot of fun. But when we are competing against one another and he refused to lose by using these tactics, it spoils it.

And for the record I play by the league rules as they are set up and voted upon by the members of the league. The league itself is in a bubble and does not go towards GHIN.

We play winter rules of lift and clean, which I dont adhere to. I also do not improve my lie, (the rule itself comes from the home course which is world famous for its lack of grass and hard pan almost cement like barren ground).

I even went against league rule and took lose of stroke and distance when knocking my tee into the woods!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1-yes he is.

2-I dont "dislike" him. I dislike the compulsive effort to turn in a good score, even when that means cheating.

I enjoy spending time with the individual and we are making up for alot of lost time. When we are both playing well, there is no issue and it is alot of fun. But when we are competing against one another and he refused to lose by using these tactics, it spoils it.

And for the record I play by the league rules as they are set up and voted upon by the members of the league. The league itself is in a bubble and does not go towards GHIN.

We play winter rules of lift and clean, which I dont adhere to. I also do not improve my lie, (the rule itself comes from the home course which is world famous for its lack of grass and hard pan almost cement like barren ground).

I even went against league rule and took lose of stroke and distance when knocking my tee into the woods!

88 is not a bad score, just let him know that the 88 was a fantastic score and that you wish you could do it too.

BTW, during tournament play isn't it against the rules to drop another ball unless you lost the first one?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

88 is not a bad score, just let him know that the 88 was a fantastic score and that you wish you could do it too.

BTW, during tournament play isn't it against the rules to drop another ball unless you lost the first one?

this is my golf league tournament, but either way yes I beleieve it is against the rules to drop another ball just because you did not like the outcome of the 1st shot.

This is his common practice among his golfing buddies. He does not like his chip shot he drops a ball and declares " I just want to see if I can do this".
Now normally if people are watching he picks up the 2nd ball, if no one is paying attention he will mark the better shot.

This is how you learn to play the game, when none of your 4some have any bets or any reason to keep each other honest!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

this is my golf league tournament, but either way yes I beleieve it is against the rules to drop another ball just because you did not like the outcome of the 1st shot.

This is his common practice among his golfing buddies. He does not like his chip shot he drops a ball and declares " I just want to see if I can do this".

Now normally if people are watching he picks up the 2nd ball, if no one is paying attention he will mark the better shot.

This is how you learn to play the game, when none of your 4some have any bets or any reason to keep each other honest!

I only do this on a practice round by myself. Even then, I feel a little like I'm cheating, but I do it to remove any negative thoughts about a particular hole or shot.

If I were playing for handicap, no way. If I was during a Tournament, I would think it was grounds for DQ or at least a 2 stroke penalty.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I only do this on a practice round by myself. Even then, I feel a little like I'm cheating, but I do it to remove any negative thoughts about a particular hole or shot.

If I were playing for handicap, no way. If I was during a Tournament, I would think it was grounds for DQ or at least a 2 stroke penalty.

I do the same thing, if I am on a course playing by myself.

I have also played 9 holes by myself and played 2 separate balls, using neither score for handicapping purposes.

When I am playing a "practice" round do what ever you want. I have on occasion moved my ball to a worse lie, just so I can practice that shot.
However during a round when I am competing against you, I would not do any of that.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I do the same thing, if I am on a course playing by myself.

I have also played 9 holes by myself and played 2 separate balls, using neither score for handicapping purposes.

When I am playing a "practice" round do what ever you want. I have on occasion moved my ball to a worse lie, just so I can practice that shot.

However during a round when I am competing against you, I would not do any of that.

This might be getting to the root of the problem you have with your dad. Try not to let if bother you. After all, he's your dad, you've only got one, but you have many more rounds to play in your life. :beer:

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

No it is not against the rules, but it has consequences.  You can replay any shot at any time at a cost of stroke and distance.  Once he chipped the second time that ball became the ball in play and he is assessed a stroke and distance penalty.  If you are going to make him play by the rules you should really get the rules correct.

And, by the way, you incurred a penalty by moving his marker without permission.  Yes I know you didn't think that was marking the ball in play but it was.  And now he gets additional penalty strokes for playing the wrong ball or playing from the wrong position becaus he did not replace it.

This is the problem with partially playing by the rules.  You end up not knowing what the rules really are and in trying to do the "right thing" you end up breaking even more rules without even knowing it.

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

No it is not against the rules, but it has consequences.  You can replay any shot at any time at a cost of stroke and distance.  Once he chipped the second time that ball became the ball in play and he is assessed a stroke and distance penalty.  If you are going to make him play by the rules you should really get the rules correct. And, by the way, you incurred a penalty by moving his marker without permission.  Yes I know you didn't think that was marking the ball in play but it was.  And now he gets additional penalty strokes for playing the wrong ball or playing from the wrong position becaus he did not replace it.  This is the problem with partially playing by the rules.  You end up not knowing what the rules really are and in trying to do the "right thing" you end up breaking even more rules without even knowing it.

Declaring it unplayable?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!